Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Nice shooting.
    Hey.. Why not join the Army? It's free!!

Noladishu, Karjakistan (aka New Orleans, LA)
    Another +1 for the shotgun...

It's a common hunting gun. So for the hunters, you've probably used your shotty on living, running creatures before.
    Your shotgun might be the go-to weapon in pre-dawn hours, in thick brush & less than ideal lighting, gunning for something fast and naturally camo'd that doesn't want to die.

When training to kill a living thing, it's helpful to...kill living things.

Now, a rabbit ain't a home-invader, and no squirrel or wild pig shoots back; my comment isn't meant to give justification to the uber-FUDDs.

BUT, a lot of questions will be answered
    -what does your chosen load/shell do to living tissue?
    -just how quick is your follow up shot when your "timer" is a creature running for its life?
    -in thick bush, how quickly can you get on target? And is your home more "open" than your hunting grounds?

And of course, if you do use a shotgun to hunt, hunt with your HD gun (w/ any necessary plugs, etc) and put it through some paces there.

Just some food for thought.
    "Mindset without skill is simply empty defiance, and skill without mindset is mere martial posturing." -GS

"Anything worth doin is gonna involve some fluids comin outta yer body." -Seth "HM" Grey

RP 1085

SqueeDAB you make excellent points, and the mrs & I shoot skeet a lot with our HD shotguns. Gets one used to moving targets. Crows, pigeons, and jack rabbits ain't safe either.
    Hey.. Why not join the Army? It's free!!

Nothing really scientific:

Hornady TAP:

Federal Tactical:

Federal Tactical:

Shotgun was a Remington 870 Police Magnum, 18" barrel, Improved Cylinder.

Cardboard is 20" x 20".

Distance 27 yards.

Two shots on each cardboard.

The findings for me: I will stick with the Federal #00 with Flitecontrol wad. The pattern is the tightest (although not over tight), and for the distance it will be used it is good to go (distance will be less than 27 yards).

For further distances I recommend changing to slugs or a rifle...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter-Scott; 05-21-2012 at 07:15 AM.

It would be interesting to see the comparative patterns at 7-10 yards. My hesitation with the FC Wad is that at normal HD distance, the shot will be too tight, thereby negating one of the main advantages of the shotgun.

I will try to manage...unfortunately it was not possible the time I did the patterning to move. I had to use a static range. Weird? but that is the way...

The longest possible shot inside the house is 14 yards. You are right, if the pattern is too tight, you could use a slug. But a slug will likely penetrate completely at that ranges and still have some nice amount of energy to damage whatever is behind. From experience I can say, with buck shot that will not be the issue, and if a pellet penetrates it already has lost most of it's energy.

I did also use some "regular" hunting buckshot (S&B #00, Ficochi #0) and the results were disturbing for the Fiocchi. Half of the pellets were missing. I really want to check that at more common (likely) distances.

Anyway, it was just some "unscientific" test, basically just to check the new scattergun.

I am a bit of a shotgun junkie.
    You name it I have probably tested the loads and tested them out of multiple different brands of guns.

after a ton of testing I decided upon the Federal reduced recoil 00 Buck load which I think is the HS132 load (don't have a box close at hand to check.

I chose it not for tight or open patterns but for it's control of the pellets. BY that I mean I had the least flyers. I am responsible for those pellets so I want a load that is not going to throw many flyers if any and this load is the one that did it for me. It is also a load taht i cna keep all the pellets on an IPSC target our to about 50 yards.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

Ive not read thrue the entire thread yet so mabe this has bin covered. If i had a home full of children would i not be worried about over penatration with double 00?
    SI classes taken, krg, warrior weekend...