Default Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting At Knob Creek, KY

This past weekend was the Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting taught by Randy Harris. The course was held at Knob Creek Range, near Louisville KY. As always, the course was a mix of students with different knowledge/skills/abilities/backgrounds. Everyone was eager to learn, and the weather was unseasonable cooperative for late February.

The course served at a great way for the guys to test out their hardware and software. We all got a feeling for how our gear and weapons ran in the cold, dust and mud. There was definitely a physical component to this class, with lots of movement and positional changes. I have to believe that all the students slept soundly each night after class.

We got to see a good mix of weapons in class, including two AR's, which goes to prove the SI material isn't platform dependent. A variety of gear was also ran, with the benefits and drawbacks experienced and shared to the group.

It was an excellent weekend with good, eager students and favorable weather (although cold at times). I am glad I had the opportunity to train with this group and look forward to seeing them in future classes. I really hope to hear from them about their thoughts on the class.
    "Always outnumbered. Never outfought!"

Motto of the Special Action Force of the Philippine Constabulary

Here's a few pictures, more to come.

102.jpg076.jpg050.jpg043.jpg
    Last edited by B+Shooter; 02-29-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Did Randy bring that mud with him?

While that would be par for the course, it was actually decent weather for late February. It could have been worse!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Swisher View Post
    Did Randy bring that mud with him?
    Yes in gallon zip lock bags..took forever to dump it all out on the range....
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG, CO
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

What an awesome two days. Yeah it was cold on Saturday and muddy all weekend but I think that just made the experience all that much better. I am a firm believer that if you are training in crappy conditions it makes the training all that much better. Who needs fair weather warriors anyway.

This was a great chance for me to really get to know the AK system. After 20 years of military service the AR system would seem like the natural choice for me to stick with, but I have never been happy with it and have wanted for along time to run an AK through its paces. It is one thing to sit and read other peoples experiences and opinions on a platform, but entirely another to get out there and get dirty with it. I am sold on the AK after this class!!

I ran an unaltered WASR using iron sights and a small sneaky bag for my mags and dump pouch the entire weekend. What a difference from running around with an M4, plate carrier and helmet. I was happy with the performance of the WASR was it perfect no, but it worked every time I pulled the trigger. I had two malfunctions all weekend, one was an ammo malfunction and the other was all my fault. My thumb got behind the charging handle causing a failure to eject,other than that it ran perfect. I am now in the market for a quality AK, but I will be keeping my WASR for a long time.

As I stated in at the end of course AAR, this is the third course I have taken with SI and the second instructed by Randy Harris. I continue to beimpressed by not only SI as an organization as a whole, but Randy in particular.

Finally, Jeff thanks for spearheading Kentucky getting in to the Suarez International's sphere of training and Randy once again thank you for the excellent two days of training.
    Last edited by sarge11c; 03-01-2012 at 10:46 AM.
    "Without a rifle you are nothing, worthless; you are waiting for death, any minute, any second." - Aron Bielski, as quoted in the book Defiance: The Bielski Partisans by Nechama Tec

Defensive Knife - March 2010

Close Range Gunfighting - December 2010

Kalashnikov Gunfighting - February 2012

Thanks for the reviews. I really enjoyed working with you guys. The weather was a bit "iffy" at first and the footing was a bit....less than optimal....but it worked out OK. By Sunday it was pretty nice.

On Saturday night after class Knob Creek held a "Night match" . Two of the guys in class shot in it with their AKs and said that all the reloading work and the reloading with their eyes closed made reloadong their AKs in pitch dark pretty easy. They said before class it might not have gone so well. So we see that even just a day's worth of work in the class pays dividends. Two days and some practice on your own time takes you exponentially farther. Seeing some of the less experienced guys go from where they were Sat morning to how well they did in the team drills was awesome too. Like I said, I had a good time working with you guys.

Looking forward to the next one in Kentucky!
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG, CO
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....