Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default TWS Handguard Pics

Here are some additional pics of the new handguard system.
    Shown are the standard length and the long top version you guys haven't seen yet. Both versions use the same lower half and we change the top half for either configuration. The standard handguard retainer must be removed for either version and the long top also requires removal of the rear sight block.

PIC_0619.jpg

PIC_0616.jpg

PIC_0648.jpg

PIC_0629.jpg

The small hinge in the center holds the two parts together and allows the top cover to hinge open in the normal manner. The hinge uses an AR-15 rear take down pin. By pulling the pin the top cover can be lifted off thus eliminating the need for quick release rings on a long scope.
    PIC_0596.jpg

PIC_0593-2.jpg

PIC_0649.jpg

PIC_0660.jpg

PIC_0659.jpg
    Last edited by Rafaga; 02-14-2012 at 12:31 AM.

Here you can see the broad spacing on the barrel clamps which helps to stiffen the barrel. The barrel clamps are shown in the white for clarity but, production units will be black.
    PIC_0523.jpg

The first thing we do for installation is replace that nasty old guide tube with a new matte finish stainless steel guide tube.

DSC_0014.jpg

Here you can see the guide tube supported by integral saddles in the top half of the handguard. No clips, pins, or other gadgets to break or get lost. The top half of the guard can be removed and replaced without loss of zero. Notice the small tabs machined in along the edge. Those tabs fit into corresponding slots in the bottom half to precisely align everything together. Also, there are stainless steel helicoils to protect the threads in the aluminum.

PIC_0557.jpg
    Last edited by Rafaga; 02-14-2012 at 12:46 AM.

Here you can see the flange on the tube fitting into a groove in the front barrel clamp. This feature locates the guide tube in the front/rear direction. Again, no clips, pins, or other gadgets to break or get lost. When you remove the top half for cleaning the tube drops right out. The space between the guide tube and the gas block measures about 1/2 inch. At first that seems to freak people out a little. The functioning of the rifle is completely unaffected by this space. We have fired thousands of rounds without malfunction. Our tube is modeled on the RPD machine gun which has about a 3/4" space. The reason the original AK guide tube ran all the way to the gas block is simply to use it as a support and save on one extra component.
    PIC_0533.jpg

Here the piston is just coming out of the guide tube.
    PIC_0545.jpg

The piston is now bridging the gap between the guide tube and gas block with a small amount inside each component.
    PIC_0546.jpg

The piston has exited the guide tube and is guided by the gas block.
    PIC_0547.jpg

The piston is fully seated into the gas block.
    PIC_0550.jpg
    Last edited by Rafaga; 02-14-2012 at 12:38 AM.

I've heard before that it doesn't matter if the gas tube is vented or not because the pressure builds up inside the gas block anyway.

Seriously, that's beautiful stuff Rafaga. Can't wait to get one. Unfortunately Uncle Sam put some of my plans on hold saying that I owe them many hundreds more dollars on my tax return.
    KTA-TTS

AKA * KRG * AKRG * EKRG * CRG * HRO: TT 1 * HRO: TT 2 * CRIS * GS *

Absolutely beautiful engineering and ingenuity!! Congratulations.

Mike

Ryan Acuff Guest
    Gorgeous! I think you need to send me one for t&e and a video review

Whoa. Awesome.

Removing the rear sight block for installation is a gunsmith only procedure I'm thinking? This is also a permanent modification, meaning no switching handguards in the future, right?

How much is the long version? Is the top cover made differently to work with the long version or does it remain unchanged?

SS helicoils...very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by DmDbo View Post
    Whoa. Awesome.

Removing the rear sight block for installation is a gunsmith only procedure I'm thinking? This is also a permanent modification, meaning no switching handguards in the future, right?

How much is the long version? Is the top cover made differently to work with the long version or does it remain unchanged?

SS helicoils...very cool.
    Thanks to all for the positive feedback. Removing the rear sightblock is not that hard to do. Putting it back is another matter. The top cover is unchanged. The handguard is designed to be backward compatible. Anyone with an existing top cover can use the handguard.

Do you see any gas problems with the long version and brakes. Example, battlecomp, for us Kalifornians