Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default South Carolina Long Gun Long Weekend II

Chris Upchurch and I just wrapped up the second edition of the South Carolina Long Gun Long weekend. We had Dynamics of the Shotgun on Friday, Combat Rifle Marksmanship on Saturday and Advanced Combat Rifle Marksmanship on Sunday.

What a great weekend of training! When we scheduled it, we figured the weather might be cold and rainy, but that that was not going to keep SI students from training. As it turned out, however, we had three absolutely gorgeous days.

ACRM2.jpg

Some of the students came from interesting backgrounds, but still felt the classes were helpful, which is really a compliment to the curriculums Gabe has put together for the HITS classes.

An excellent class! We had some great students out there this weekend. When certain folks show up you just know it's going to be a pleasure to train with them.

As usual, Alex did a fine job teaching the shotgun portion. This is the third of his SG classes I've been through and I learn something new every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Nieuwland View Post
    Just look at that beautiful blue sky. There were showers or thunderstorms in the forecast for both days this weekend every time I checked for the past two weeks and we ended up not getting a single drop. Somebody up there is looking out for us. Beautiful weather!

It was beautiful weather this weekend. Looks like a great class.
    I am in a sunny place full of shady people

Looks like it was a blast (no pun intended). I had originally planned to be there, but I had already committed to working the Sandblast Rally over in Cheraw/Patrick. I think we got all of the rain that was supposed to fall in Charlotte and Columbia.
    Gutter Medicine for Shooters (2008), Intro to Defensive Pistol Skills (2009), Point Shooting Gunfight Skills (2010), Close Range Gunfighting (2012), 0-5 Feet Pistol Gunfighting (2012), Advanced Combat Pistol Marksmanship (2012)
    Info re: my PSL:
    http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=51333
    http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=61983
    Info re: my SBR'd Draco:
    http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=61984

A great weekend was had by all...the weather was outstanding; the training was top notch (kudos to both Chris and Alex); and the classmates were top-notch...

It was worth the drive from Northern Virginia...
    War is the realm of uncertainty; three quarters of the factors on which action in war is based are wrapped in a fog of greater or lesser uncertainty. A sensitive and discriminating judgment is called for; a skilled intelligence to scent out the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by von Clausewitz View Post
    A great weekend was had by all...the weather was outstanding; the training was top notch (kudos to both Chris and Alex); and the classmates were top-notch...

It was worth the drive from Northern Virginia...
    Thanks! It was a pleasure having you in class.

Having driven the butt-numbing drive between Columbia to northern Virginia several times, that's high praise indeed.

The class was awesome guys; I am still putting together my notes. Every person owning a rifle/shotgun should go through this curriculum to learn how to run their weapon. I originally planned on training on Sunday only, but thankfully I went to all three days. I can say (as a firearms instructor) that I learned a lot of great teaching points on the basic stuff that I can share with my guys and I really cleaned up my fundamentals (something I need to do continually).

The techniques taught also broke me out of the “this is how we do it and that’s it” mentality that is prevalent in my circle and made me reconsider some things….though I still wont give up my 3 point ;) Running the course in full kit made me move a piece or two of my gear and also inspired confidence in my rig. We are getting new vests soon and I will definitely make a few changes based on this training.

Alex and Chris were both knowledgeable and personable; they easily demonstrated the skills they were trying to impress upon the students. I recommend learning from them if you have the chance. Both showed patience with the newer guys, working them through some fundamentals, while still giving me good feedback on the finer points of my technique.

Great weather, great course material, great instructors, great group of guys – great class! Dog-gone!

I look forward to coming back and training with you guys and Randy at the 0-5 feet course.
    Joe T.
    Psa 149:6 "May the praise of God be in their mouths and a double-edged sword in their hands..."

Eph 2:8-9 "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast."

1Cor 6:20 "For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body."

Mindset, size, strength, speed, endurance and technique all matter in the real world - anyone who tells you differently is selling something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jujutsuka View Post
    [FONT=Tahoma]
    I look forward to coming back and training with you guys and Randy at the 0-5 feet course.
    Joe T.
    Me too. Looking forward to it Bro!
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP, CCP, BUG
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

The class was awesome guys;
    Thanks man. It was great to have you in the class.

Joe T.
    You're just a glutton for punishment, aren't you. I'm looking forward to it too.

My thanks to Chris and Alex for the great three days of training on the shotgun and AR. I had recently mounted a new Eotech 512 on one AR and could not get it sighted in; I thought it was operator error, but Chris could not sight it in either, so I felt better. I had brought a backup AR with a Leupold VX-R sight, and it was close enough to be on the money so I was able to use it. I enjoyed the classes and relearned some rusty skills, which I hope I never have to use, but just in case . . .

I would recommend to those interested in defensive firearms skills to take Chris and Alex's courses the next time they are offered. Even if you believe your present skills are good, with excellent training, your skills will be even better. Besides, current knowledge may save your life.

I will be attending the CRG class in March and the Zero to Five class in April, and I hope to see you all there.