Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which ACOG for 7.62x39

My TWS Top Rail is still bare

What type reticle options are available in the ACOG?

Are there any better options on the horizon?

School me please
    Paul

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.

The ACOG is available with a 7.62x39 reticle. You need to search the catalog as there are many variations.

TA33-13 ACOG 3x30 Dual Illuminated Horseshoe/Dot 7.62x39 Ballistic Reticle w/ mount

OST has it in stock I believe.
    GOOD GUY'S SHOOT AK'S!

The DOG HOUSE is my comfort zone!

As far as ak specific acogs the only option I believe is reticle color.

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/tri...icreticle.aspx

Seems like a toss up between red and green, with more people overall saying red because red isn't found in nature, where the green tritium supposedly lasts longer, and may be brighter in low light, depending on the eyes of the user. I've also read that the green is easier to pick up for the color blind, fwiw.

Stay away from the yellow, as it is the dimmest one of the three, and has the most potential to be "lost" when it counts.

I don't think a better ACOG is coming anytime soon, but depending on individual tastes, the Leupold VX6 1-6x, and the SWFA 1-4x are good (better?) alternatives in the same ballpark in price.

I went ahead and ordered the green ACOG(won't arrive until March sometime) simply because it'll be fresh for me compared to the same ole' boring red, and I already have an Eotech and a few Aimpoints, but have never had an ACOG. These simply seem like the missing link in combat optics I've never tried.

But I'm sure I'll have to try a variable at some point in the future, too.
    "Time is unhealthy"- My then four year old daughter, whom is continuing to strive...

The red and amber reticles flare way too bright in sunlight. Green is what you want, it doesn't flash out as bad in bright light, and is better on preserving your night vision.

On another note, I don't see a problem using the .223 version on a 5.45, as the ballistic reticle would be close enough out to 400yd.
    Last edited by armory; 01-28-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just. -Thomas Jefferson

When it is to bright I put a length of tape over the red optic to reduce the flare.
    “Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go” (Joshua 1:9).

"Victory in war does not depend upon the size of the army, but on the strength that comes from heaven" (1 Maccabees 3:19)

Quote Originally Posted by armory View Post
    The red and amber reticles flare way too bright in sunlight. Green is what you want, it doesn't flash out as bad in bright light, and is better on preserving your night vision.

On another note, I don't see a problem using the .223 version on a 5.45, as the ballistic reticle would be close enough out to 400yd.
    With respect, I completely disagree. I have used 3 different ACOGs with red reticles ( I prefer the inverted chevron for distance work) in places like Kingman AZ for GSN in JUNE, Central Texas all year round,Montana and Wyoming in the summer. I have never had any "too bright or flaring issues" ...just solid hits ....easily out to 600 yds....and pretty darn well out to 1000 with my FAL. Green would never have worked in the summer in MT and WY, or TX in the spring. Your AO, may be different.

Anyone have experience using the ACOG in close engagements?
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
    Anyone have experience using the ACOG in close engagements?
    Yes. The 3 and 3.5X versions are easier than the 4 to use close in. Less because of the magnification than the more forgiving eye relief. Practice using it with both eyes open and you'll be surprised how well it can work. It isn't as fast as a real RDS, but it is very usable.
    Problem solved, problem staying solved

Quote Originally Posted by karl johnson View Post
    Yes. The 3 and 3.5X versions are easier than the 4 to use close in. Less because of the magnification than the more forgiving eye relief. Practice using it with both eyes open and you'll be surprised how well it can work. It isn't as fast as a real RDS, but it is very usable.
    Given the current choices of AK optics on a TWS top rail, I'm leaning towards the ACOG
    Paul