The Suarez Method
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I don't know of any folder like you ask about, the Applegate folder I think has a partial double blade? I am not sure, only going by memory of seeing them on line.

If you find a good knife w/o serrations and wanted them they do sell grinder just for that, never used one but have seen them on knife building sites.

As for the only one blade thing...to each his own, but try cutting vegetables with a thick bladed knife (even shaving sharp) and compare it to a thin kitchen blade...like night and day. A good knife can do a lot of things, but never does everything equally well.

Knives are small, carry more than one. At least thats my logic.

If you do find a double edge folder, or mod one yourself post a pic please.

The only double-edged folder I have is a Manila-style BaliSong, with the "back" blade only sharp about 2/3 down from the tip so there's enough flat to safely manipulate the knife. The only other double-edged folders I've seen (I don't have) are the old German "Paratrooper" knife with the articulated handle that folds up around the blade, while the blade slides through a guide slot; one made with the blade hinge parallel to the blade, so that the blade folds sideways into the frame rather than edge-first; and another that had a two-piece handle that rotates all the way around to meet open (or closed) to appear as a single handle - unlike the BaliSong which has two hinges and the handle halves rotate half-way around meet in line with the flat of the blade, this style shared the single pivot point with the blade and each side of the handle was a single slab.
    I hope these descriptions are clear enough to understand since I don't have pictures to illustrate, but I'll answer any questions if you need further clarification.
    As far as a more conventional style folder, the only way I know to make it safely double-edged would require that the handle-slabs be much wider than the blade so that the blade was deeply "buried" inside. Otherwise, a two-bladed folder - one plain, one serrated - would be the simplest solution. If they opened from opposite ends (and locked), it could be a fistful of real hurt!

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick
    Last edited by Chuck Brick; 01-29-2012 at 12:20 PM.
    GFT - Thank you, Gabe.
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Cogito, ergo armatum sum: I think, therefore I am armed."
    - Anonymous
    ----------------------------
    "War is a dirty thing. But just because it is dirty is no excuse for us to be weak."

"Microtech Scarab Executive Double Edge" (plane edge)...$389.95 Again, not a folder, but a front deployed auto knife....legal in your area?

I would never pay that for sharp metal, but would love to own one.

Also, "Italian Switchblade Knives by AKC Concord Thick Tactical 077 NATO Double Edge" $79.95, plain edge auto knife...but again, not legal for me...maybe you?

Quote Originally Posted by RDog View Post
    "Microtech Scarab Executive Double Edge" (plane edge)...$389.95 Again, not a folder, but a front deployed auto knife....legal in your area?

I would never pay that for sharp metal, but would love to own one.

Also, "Italian Switchblade Knives by AKC Concord Thick Tactical 077 NATO Double Edge" $79.95, plain edge auto knife...but again, not legal for me...maybe you?
    Funny, but Texas law allows me to own about anything, it limits what I can carry. I have a front-deploying auto as a novelty. It's really double-edged, but be aware that a lot of so-called "double-edged" - such as switchblades - are not actually sharp on the back, but only have a taper to a false edge that enhances the penetration of a thrust, and the appearance, but doesn't actually cut; and it also weakens the blade by reducing mass.

Chuck Brick

The Applegate-Fairbairn combat folder isn't double edged as it comes out of the package, however it is easily made into a large double edge folder with some diamond hones. I did this to mine and like it very much; in fact it is my EDC knife. The entire top edge and 3/4 of the bottom edge of the 4.5" blade are naked with only the last portion of the bottom edge bearing serrations. It is a happy compromise although if I had my choice it would be a completely naked edge.

pistol&knife.JPG
    Cheers
    T.

"VICTORIOUS WARRIORS WIN FIRST...
    AND THEN GO TO WAR,
    WHILE DEFEATED WARRIORS GO TO WAR FIRST...
    AND THEN SEEK TO WIN." Sun tzu

I did find a double bladed knife with a smooth and a serrated blade. i wish it were a little longer. This picture does not seem to want to post.
    Smith & Wesson CH400DLB SWK Double Blade Fldr-Blk/Blk

Smith & Wesson has long been a name synonymous with fine Outdoor gear. S&W cuttin horse knives feature imopact resistant handles, Stainless steel blade & pocket clip Double Bladed (1 Plain edge & 1 Serrated) Blade length: 3.01" Closed length: 3.97" Steel: 440C Teflon coated Handle: Aluminum

The spiritual realm is in my heart....but what is in my hands is sharp edgy realism with which I can make stuff happen for my own benefit. .....
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez

Cold Steel used to make a Double Edged Triple Action. I had one and liked it though deployment took some time to learn.

The Benchmade Infidel can be had Double Edged as well if you want an OTF.

The reason you don't see more double edge folders is because most guys like to keep their fingers attached... The lock on your folder is strong in one direction - the direction that it opens. You start applying pressure to the spine, you're asking for failure. Failure means a knife folding up when it isn't supposed to. Not a good thing. Same goes for stabbing things with your folder. Transmission of shock can pop that lock. Which is why a lot of guys (myself included) prefer fixed blades.

This is the pic Barnettmill was trying to post. The knife has two separate blades.

SWdouble.jpg
    I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

I have a folder from the Boker Magnum line, all stainless. Good steel and the blade had a false edge on back that took not time to get hair popping sharp. Needle point, sturdy steel clip, very thin profile, it disappears in a pocket. It does take some presence of mind to close safely but for $12 I couldn't pass it up. Will try to post a pic later