SI 2014 Training
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    i like serrations for utility work - they go through webbing etc quite easily.

And I think that, since 99% of the time we are using our knives as tools and not for killing sentries, having serrations on a few of one's blades is not a bad thing.

Ease of sharpening is key but today even the pocket sharpeners can handle serrated blades.

I'll wager a beer that the reason that the ancient warriors and heros didn't have serrations on an occasional dagger length blade ( sword fighting with a serrated blade is kind of dumb) is because they didn't have the capacity or tooling to make them.

My utility knife has serations, but my defensive folder, carried on my non-dominant side, does not.

Serrations=utility knife. Plain blade=self defense knife. I carry both. Remember, use the right tool,for the right job.

Doug Little

Suarez International
    Tier One Staff Instructor

Train with Doug Little

NRA Training Counselor
    AZ DPS Certified CCW Instructor
    CA DOJ Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
    Glock Factory Armorer

Armed Personal Defense website

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Little View Post
    Serrations=utility knife. Plain blade=self defense knife. I carry both. Remember, use the right tool,for the right job.
    Ditto. I carry a serrated Spyderco (which really isn't a pain to sharpen) to get through lines that might be trying to drag me down to Davy Jones' locker. And other misc daily tasks.

And a non-serrated blade or two for more social applications. I must confess to being quite a fan of the new Cold Steel Espada G10 models. Sort of handy to have a folding Bowie in your pocket. And I've gone into saltwater now a couple times with it in my pocket, and it didn't turn into a pile of rust, contrary to Internet lore.
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam

Without details, I used to carry an Emerson CQC8 with a partially serrated blade. And it did catch in clothing, and it went down the road to someone who thought Emersons were forged by Elves in Rivendale...
    "IN ORBE TERRUM NON VISI"

"LUCK FAVORS THE PREPARED"

"So I have to take my beret from my head, and put it in my heart. I'm not going to put it back on until the enemy has them by the throat. Not until I'm fighting for the Constitution of the United States of America."

To Train with John Chambers: CLICK HERE!

SGF-1: SHOTGUN GUNFIGHTING
    June 14-15, 2014

RGF-3: ADVANCED RIFLE GUNFIGHTING
    September 13-14, 2014

CRG-5: Zero To Five Feet Gunfighting
    November 8-9, 2014

I have serrated bread and steak (table) knives, but not carry knives. I do carry a small ceramic rod in my pocket that will touch-up the blade any time,and I use a stone (usually a Carborundum, sometimes diamond) to sharpen them (carry knives).

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    GFT - Thank you, Gabe.
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Cogito, ergo armatum sum: I think, therefore I am armed."
    - Anonymous
    ----------------------------
    "War is a dirty thing. But just because it is dirty is no excuse for us to be weak."

Quote Originally Posted by John Chambers View Post
    Without details, I used to carry an Emerson CQC8 with a partially serrated blade. And it did catch in clothing, and it went down the road to someone who thought Emersons were forged by Elves in Rivendale...
    Ok, that's awesome; even better if it was able to glow blue when the bad guy/orcs came around.
    "You don't know what you don't know," this is both an affront to the ego and a provocation to the spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
    Dull serrations still seem to cut (rip) better than an equally dull plain edge, and I use the Spyderco sharpmaker so it's very easy to keep serrations and plain edges sharp. I don't recall dullness problems with any of my carry knives.

But I know that thrusts are historically the killing blows, not slashes. So I like both.
    I feel the same, when I carried a spyderco even when I let the edge go for a while it still "cut" well, better than a plain edge.

Quote Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post

I'll wager a beer that the reason that the ancient warriors and heros didn't have serrations on an occasional dagger length blade ( sword fighting with a serrated blade is kind of dumb) is because they didn't have the capacity or tooling to make them.
    +1, I think you would win a lot of beers.

For utility work, and I guess it depends on what we mean by "utility" I find a very sharp plain edge to be better...from cutting food to sharpening a pencil. But I think a sharp serrated blade would be my choice if I had to slash a target.

As for snagging on clothes...anything can snag. I now carry a Ka Bar folder with thumbstuds, and several times the stud has caught for an instant, I do believe the spyderco style of thumb hole to be a better design as a result.

In the end I think there are far more important features to a good knife than the type of blade it has.

I used to think serrated was cool, until I had to try and keep them sharp, now I just go with plain edge. Look in any butchers shop where they cut fresh meat (not cooked steak) the blades are plain edge and kept razor sharp!
    And for a killing blade I want penetration somethng that is going straight though anything in its way without even the possibility of a hangup.
    ...If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"...
    If - Rudyard Kipling

ECRG, June 2006
    Warrior Skills Camp, July 2009

"far more important features to a good knife than the type of blade it has."

Such as??? a good knife for me is ALL about the blade! What else could be more important???
    ...If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"...
    If - Rudyard Kipling

ECRG, June 2006
    Warrior Skills Camp, July 2009

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast