Happy Holidays 2014
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Serrations always?

Dear Mike,

Here's a quote by Ernest Emerson that I pulled of another Forum regarding the "myth" that serrations can catch somewhat. Now if I'm not mistaken, don't you prefer a straight edge due to tendancy of serrations to get hung up on clothing?

Thanks,
    DWW

Always - always, carry a knife with serrations. That is an internet myth that I wish would go away. Think of hitting something with the force of a baseball swing. Serrations do not hang up on anything. Never did. Never will.

Best Regards,
    Ernest R. Emerson

I am not Mike, but since I do sweep up around here once in a while I will give my .02. If Mike disagrees, its cool and I don't mind being wrong...been known to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by DWW View Post
    Here's a quote by Ernest Emerson that I pulled of another Forum regarding the "myth" that serrations can catch somewhat. Now if I'm not mistaken, don't you prefer a straight edge due to tendancy of serrations to get hung up on clothing?

In the days when men relied on knives and swords for killing each other serrations were well known....on butchering knives. It was only in the 1990s when Spyderco's marketing made a big "to do" about them that they came back into vogue. And I have personally seen serrations get caught on clothing. Add to that the fact that they are a pain in the butt to sharpen and I stay away from anything with serrations.

Thanks,
    DWW

Always - always, carry a knife with serrations. That is an internet myth that I wish would go away. Think of hitting something with the force of a baseball swing. Serrations do not hang up on anything. Never did. Never will.

Best Regards,
    Ernest R. Emerson

Yeah...very interesting.....very nice. Follow the money. Everyone has an agenda. What I would do is look at his website and see how many serrated knives he sells. Francisco Pizarro - no serrations....Jim Bowie....no serrations....and all of a sudden men who have never shanked anything more than a side of beef come up with serrations being the answer.

Sorry...I am not feeling it.

This is why I often carry two knives: a plain Endura for thrusting and neatly slicing tomatoes, and a serrated Tasman Salt hawksbill for ripping out veins, arteries, sinew, muscle, and whatever needs destroying.
    DPS
    PSP
    CRG
    KRG
    0-5
    TASI
    APSP

I have carried both... Serrations are nice for.stripping wire... But when they are dull I have no way to sharpen them... So they get dull and useless...

Straight blade I can sharpen and works for so much more... But that's just my two cents worth...

Serations have their utility for tasks like cutting rope, cords or wire, the key word being "Utility" they can be handy on a working knife.

But for killing I concur the ideal blade is long, sharp, and naked......If it has serations and they are kept at the bottom and cover < 1/4 of the cutting surface they shouldn't get in the way of "wet work" too much.

Cheers
    T

Let's see......Gabe Suarez, Mike Janich and Mas Ayoob all say that serrations can get hung up on clothing. That is making it real hard for me to believe it's a myth as Emerson states.

I guess maybe for use as a rescue knife or as a tool, the serrations might come in handy, but the plain edge seems the better choice as a dedicated defense/combat knife. I can also see someone liking the combo edge for use as a dual purpose knife although I imagine a sharp plain edge could probably do just about everyhting a serrated one can as long as it's kept sharp. Plus as mentioned it will be much easier to sharpen.

Quote Originally Posted by SUA SPONTE View Post
    Serations have their utility for tasks like cutting rope, cords or wire...
    That's about all they are good for.

Dull serrations still seem to cut (rip) better than an equally dull plain edge, and I use the Spyderco sharpmaker so it's very easy to keep serrations and plain edges sharp. I don't recall dullness problems with any of my carry knives.

But I know that thrusts are historically the killing blows, not slashes. So I like both.
    DPS
    PSP
    CRG
    KRG
    0-5
    TASI
    APSP

Quote Originally Posted by SUA SPONTE View Post
    Serations have their utility for tasks like cutting rope, cords or wire
    That reminds me of the pic you posted in the How To Treat Neck Wounds thread:

Vocal cords, various tubes and strings and bits of plumbing....
    DPS
    PSP
    CRG
    KRG
    0-5
    TASI
    APSP

Quote Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
    That reminds me of the pic you posted in the How To Treat Neck Wounds thread:

Vocal cords, various tubes and strings and bits of plumbing....
    Indeed, learning the medical skill set has a multi-facetted application; it will teach you what to do FOR someone......or more sinisterly what to do TO someone.

Cheers
    T.