Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SWFA SS 1-4x24

Default SWFA SS 1-4x24

So, after the excellent feedback in the ACOG vs. low power variable thread I've been doing some research on low power variables. The biggest hangup has been finding a reticle design that I like. They all seem to be either a simple design that would work for CQB but lacks any sort of drop indications for distance, or a fine reticle with mil markings or BDC that would work at distance, but doesn't have much meat for quick CQB acquisition. This is made doubly difficult by the fact that those that do have drop markings tend to have 5.56 BDCs, which are definitely less than optimal for use on a 7.62x39 AK.

The one that I've found that I really like is the SWFA 1-4 (which wasn't mentioned on the other thread). It's got mil marked crosshairs in the center for long range drops, with a nice big circle for close-up work and rather cleverly uses FFP to make the transition between them. Anyone have experience with this scope? Pros/cons?

pm sent to you
    “Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go” (Joshua 1:9).

"Victory in war does not depend upon the size of the army, but on the strength that comes from heaven" (1 Maccabees 3:19)

I was going to get a TR24G... then saw the SWFA SS 1-4 last month... and I no longer want the TR24G.

I like the model # SSHD14X24TC, that has the T-type reticle with capped turrets.

Pokey convinced me a few months ago that I needed some sort of BDC of hash marks, or I wouldn't be happy.

May just get the Vortex... but that SS 1-4 is tempting.

Hash marks are a must if you want to make good use of a 3 or 4 power. You will be spinning your wheels without them.

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post

Pokey convinced me a few months ago that I needed some sort of BDC of hash marks, or I wouldn't be happy.
    Did I really say that? I will eat my words if I did lol!

But a BDC works great for a rifle that is meant to shoot 400yds and in. (Aka 1-4x scope for a 5.56/5.45, 6.8/6.5, .308) Of course hits out to 700 yards are definitely doable, but most BDC reticles do not have windage markings. If it is a GSR (100yds +) then something with MIL markings would be better.

And since no one really does BDC for 7.62x39, mil markings would be a much better choice.
    Last edited by Pokeguyjai; 01-09-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    "May your foes be strong enough to keep you sharp"
    - Mass Effect

"Well maybe you just need to get a little tougher"
    -Gabe Suarez discussing the AK in the Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting DVD

Another thing Chris, is that one of the main problems with variables is the cheaper versions won't train zero through the variable settings. Keep that in mind and look out for it on reviews elsewhere.

Tagged +10.
    NREMT-Paramedic
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, ITLS

1*
    Take Care and STAY SAFE

I don't have this exact scope but I do have a super sniper fixed 10 power scope. I've been more then satisfied with it. Seems like a tough scope. It survived Spetsnaz Sniper class where things like jumping out of the back of a deuce and darting over a berm... plus the time where I lost my footing going over and turned it into a roll of sorts lol. Plus hitting the ground and then rolling to the side a few times. Bouncing around the back of the deuce shooting and riding. Didn't have a single problem with losing zero or anything. Granted I didn't do anything like toss it onto the ground or anything severe but I like them and they have clear glass. I easily saw the vapor trail of my rounds at 600 yards.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG
    CRG-2 CRG again
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 TASI
    HRO-6 CQB Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 TASI 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)
    Killing Within The Law

TWOTU since May 2015

A comparison I found of various low powered variables, with pics...

http://206.125.47.33/forum/ubbthread...Number=2491668
    NREMT-Paramedic
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, ITLS

1*
    Take Care and STAY SAFE

I just purchased the SS 1-4. Do a google search, there's is a group buy on the sfwa forum (I think) in which you get the T reticule scope, Bobro qd mount, butler creek caps and a throw lever for $799. The mount alone is over $200.

I'm on my phone, or I'd give you the link.