Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SC regional training group Jan8

Excellent day of training. Thanks Alex and Chris. You guys put on awesome classes. To my fellow students well done and good to train with you again.
    We ran a few tune up draws and GOTX drills to give an inspection and we were off on situation drills. By altering the background the instructors deleted our gaming planning that happens. This was COMPLETELYa game changer. Your loop is reset and shorted as threat indicators come up. It showed our natural threat focus, the mock pistols took ALOT of hits. It also showed how by falling into this I would have been owned by indirect threats.
    The different situations allowed us to see the short comings of trapping ourselves to go to gun this is training. As Chris and Alex pointed out on the ATM mock up. Going to gun just cause your verbally approached is not enough to justify gun introduction. In my go at it on start I made a gun on my right at corner of my eye. I was able to run that but would have been had by the gunman on my six. This was excellent training, hammering home keep moving keep looking.
    On the night time home invasion drill shouting out family code words engaging with spare mag in hand pieing the door, this brought back years ago running my P89 with 16 on board and a spare 15 in hand. It came back quick, shows these skills will resurface even under stress. Excellent drill, watching the different approach to the doorways with various bad guys positions.
    The dining out drill with mulitiple exits and positions. Spooky how fast you can deal with what you see but miss what is right on top of you as you push to exit.
    With all we covered and the fact no to situations were the same for any student it is safe to say we all learned alot. Thanks to all there for making this a incredible learning event.
    SI has delivered again with excellent instructors like Chris and Alex as well as affordable (downright cheap) tune up/advancement classes for alumni.
    Eric
    And whatever you do, whether in word or deed do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17
    -SI classes: CRG, Defensive pistol, PSP, Rifle, Advanced Rifle, Shotgun, FOF, Vehicle gunfighting
    -Certified Glock, Sig, FN, Xd/XDM AR/Ak, CZ

-Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez
    And alcohol is just to get you drunk
    women are just to relieve the pressure
    and food is just to kill the hunger.....
    Hardly the sort of life I care to live.

I echo the thoughts of Eric about this past weekend's training with Chris and Alex. At whatever age you might be, you never can afford to stop training, and he who hesitates in a gunfight will get shot. While going to the range on a regular basis is good, training with great instructors is so much better. Thanks again, Chris and Alex for the excellent training and instruction on Sunday.

Les

Thanks to Alex and Chris for providing this training. Showed my weaknesses. Now I have to do the work and fix them.

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it. I find that actually having to spin through your OODA loop like that is quite an eye opener.

Thanks to Alex and Chris for organizing this training. What a bargain! Running through these scenarios really makes you think about all of the things that can go wrong when someone means to rob or harm you. It was great training with you guys.

Mine in bold.

Quote Originally Posted by egalloway View Post
    Excellent day of training. Thanks Alex and Chris. You guys put on awesome classes.

Thanks. I'm glad you could make it.

To my fellow students well done and good to train with you again.
    We ran a few tune up draws and GOTX drills to give an inspection and we were off on situation drills. By altering the background the instructors deleted our gaming planning that happens. This was COMPLETELYa game changer. Your loop is reset and shorted as threat indicators come up.

100% better than a gun game, isn't it?

It showed our natural threat focus, the mock pistols took ALOT of hits.

Yes, you guys have retired this batch of threat indicators.

It also showed how by falling into this I would have been owned by indirect threats.

Good food for thought, isn't it?

The different situations allowed us to see the short comings of trapping ourselves to go to gun this is training. As Chris and Alex pointed out on the ATM mock up. Going to gun just cause your verbally approached is not enough to justify gun introduction. In my go at it on start I made a gun on my right at corner of my eye. I was able to run that but would have been had by the gunman on my six. This was excellent training, hammering home keep moving keep looking.
    On the night time home invasion drill shouting out family code words engaging with spare mag in hand pieing the door, this brought back years ago running my P89 with 16 on board and a spare 15 in hand. It came back quick, shows these skills will resurface even under stress.

I liked how you did that.

Excellent drill, watching the different approach to the doorways with various bad guys positions.

Some put a spare mag in their pants pocket. Good idea, if you're wearing pants. Next time I run through that one with my shotgun, I'm going to take all my holsters off so it will be clear that going to pistol is not an option.

The dining out drill with mulitiple exits and positions. Spooky how fast you can deal with what you see but miss what is right on top of you as you push to exit.

Drives home the Observe part of the OODA loop, doesn't it?

With all we covered and the fact no to situations were the same for any student it is safe to say we all learned alot. Thanks to all there for making this a incredible learning event.
    SI has delivered again with excellent instructors like Chris and Alex as well as affordable (downright cheap) tune up/advancement classes for alumni.
    Eric
    I think it's fair to say that much good learning was had by all. We'll definitely be doing this again.

Excellent. I think this type of training builds discipline to use the technique developed in other classes. Forcing wider view, breaking tunnel vision, shorting preplans. Awesome skill building.

I'm beginning my weaseling to make the 0-5 feet class and at least one day of the rifle class. May be a hard sale with me going to shot next week... Figure something out.
    Eric
    And whatever you do, whether in word or deed do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17
    -SI classes: CRG, Defensive pistol, PSP, Rifle, Advanced Rifle, Shotgun, FOF, Vehicle gunfighting
    -Certified Glock, Sig, FN, Xd/XDM AR/Ak, CZ

-Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez
    And alcohol is just to get you drunk
    women are just to relieve the pressure
    and food is just to kill the hunger.....
    Hardly the sort of life I care to live.

Quote Originally Posted by egalloway View Post
    I'm beginning my weaseling to make the 0-5 feet class and at least one day of the rifle class. May be a hard sale with me going to shot next week... Figure something out.
    Eric
    LOL! A 2-day visit to Monkey Joe's for the family?

I want to echo how this was a great training opportunity that I really appreciated. Sorry it took so long to post.

One thing for me was that I noticed that I was thinking in terms of shooting solutions, gaming it a bit. I wasn't meaning to do that and was trying to think in realistic terms but I realized, and it was pointed out, that I went to guns quicker than I should in the ATM scenario and certainly quicker than I would have in reality. Maybe when setting up the scenarios you could make a point of reminding us to think in those terms. Maybe include no shoot options to the scenarios somehow?

Thanks again for the opportunity, this sort of practice is definitely a great help.
    Sharkey

Quote Originally Posted by sharkeyJ View Post
    Maybe include no shoot options to the scenarios somehow?
    We were saving that for next time

Quote Originally Posted by sharkeyJ View Post
    Thanks again for the opportunity, this sort of practice is definitely a great help.
    Sharkey
    See you next time!