Labor Day Weekend 2015
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default another idea: Zach holster for shotguns or long guns?

I came across yet another "dog causes gun to discharge" on a hunting trip story, and started thinking how easily their paws/toes/nails could knock a safety off "safe" and then even pull the trigger if they step on or paw it.

Then I started thinking that a Zach holster might be a good idea to cover the trigger guard/trigger for a shotgun that was being used. Heck, that goes for any long gun.

Anyway, I have a Model 12 Winchester 16 GA and I think it would be good to have a Zach for it ...

Dale, let me know what you think.

P.S. If somebody already wrote about this I didn't see it.

My first thought is that if they aren't smart enough to put the safety on the long gun or empty the chamber before they get in the truck how are they going to remember to snap a zach on?
    Geek Warlord

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Texican_gal View Post
    I came across yet another "dog causes gun to discharge" on a hunting trip story, and started thinking how easily their paws/toes/nails could knock a safety off "safe" and then even pull the trigger if they step on or paw it.

Then I started thinking that a Zach holster might be a good idea to cover the trigger guard/trigger for a shotgun that was being used. Heck, that goes for any long gun.

Anyway, I have a Model 12 Winchester 16 GA and I think it would be good to have a Zach for it ...

Dale, let me know what you think.

That would be quite a series of unfortunate events. Obviously, it could happen. But, I think situational awareness plays in. The guys whose dogs shot them this past hunting season put their gun down without engaging the safety. I'm willing to take the chance that my dog won't be able to push the button on the safety, or, on my Mossberg, to flip the thumb safety on top of the receiver.

I can imagine a use for a Zach style trigger holster for a long gun, but none are a high priority on my list of must haves.
    Joel F.
    Soo Foo, SoDak

"I've…seen things you people wouldn't believe…Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those…moments…will be lost in time, like...tears…in…rain…"

IIRC, the question was posed once before but got little response.
    if they aren't smart enough to put the safety on the long gun or empty the chamber before they get in the truck how are they going to remember to snap a zach on?
    ^ This is probably the answer ^

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    My first thought is that if they aren't smart enough to put the safety on the long gun or empty the chamber before they get in the truck how are they going to remember to snap a zach on?
    Totally Agree!
    Luke

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

If you want this, just email Dale. He does custom work.

I have a friend I wish would have used one of these. Robert died a few weeks ago while he was pulling his gun out of the back of his jeep. I was speaking with a friend who is a combat veteran and an avid hunter, and we both suspect there was a 'Bone-head maneuver' in play. If Robert would have had a zack for his shotgun or rifle or whatevery he used, he might still be alive. I understand something caught the trigger and he shot himself. I don't know that he would have used one if he had it, but he might have.

Scott

My advice; don't put your gun in a pile of stuff especially on the bottom of the pile.
    That's good advice. I would never/have never done such, but it's good to hear reminders.

Before these latest stories of "shot by dog" the one I remember was of some hunters that had their guns laid in the boat and the excited dog clambered over and stepped on the right parts ... boom!

Lost a friend in 1971 from a "hunting accident".His rifle was loaded,one in the pipe, leaning or lying in the back of his jeep.He opened a gate and drove over a cattle guard..and boom.He was 19 years old.....

One of my Zachs has dedicated duty as a trigger guard in certain situations.

NV28

Muzzle direction is the best safety.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast