Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphius View Post
    Is the barrel on the 107 CR typically threaded?
    Not the barrel. It comes from the factory with a fs/gb combo with 24mm threads and there is about 3.5" of barrel sticking out in front of the threads.

Gabe,

Maybe it's time to ditch the whole front sight base unit issue and start finding someone to make a detachable front sight for the Ultimak picitanny rail. It worked for the TWS with the rear peep sight, why not the front? I wonder if Ultimak would extent their top rail to sit over the gas block?

It would clean up the front end of the AK's and will give you a bunch of barrel area to do with what you wish.

Mike
    Last edited by shtgnr; 11-27-2011 at 09:06 PM.
    I am a paragon of virtue and friendship. So get out of my face and piss off.

Sto quod exsisto sentio

Quote Originally Posted by shtgnr View Post
    Gabe,

Maybe it's time to ditch the whole front sight base unit issue and start finding someone to make a detachable front sight for the Ultimak picitanny rail. It worked for the TWS with the rear peep sight, why not the front? I wonder if Ultimak would extent their top rail to sit over the gas block?

It would clean up the front end of the AK's and will give you a bunch of barrel area to do with what you wish.

Mike
    I like it. It could be cantilever , attaching to the rail but overhanging the gas block.
    T. Mark Graham, Master Gunsmith
    Arizona Response Systems, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    I was hitting 200 yard head shots on steel with my 7.62x39 Suchka recently. Witnessed by Dale Hunter. Corbon DPX.
    I believe u bro, your a pretty good shot.:)

Quote Originally Posted by shtgnr View Post
    Gabe,

Mike
    Interesting idea. IF we had someone that would make flip up sights of the same type as for the M4 but lower (the M4 are too tall for the AK), that would be great. We could machine a picatinny on top of the gas block and add what we wanted. It would have to be substantially like the M4 sights and not so much like the existing TWS. The TWS peep is fine for guys running RDS forward of it but if you are running other optics you end up compromising ring height.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Grey Man Guest
    Interesting idea. IF we had someone that would make flip up sights of the same type as for the M4 but lower (the M4 are too tall for the AK), that would be great. We could machine a picatinny on top of the gas block and add what we wanted. It would have to be substantially like the M4 sights and not so much like the existing TWS. The TWS peep is fine for guys running RDS forward of it but if you are running other optics you end up compromising ring height.
    I will take a look at this next weekend as I have some relatives that run a machine shop - I've been toying with this idea for a while . ..

We could machine a picatinny on top of the gas block and add what we wanted.
    Would the standard gas block (90 or 45) have enough "meat" on it to machine into the top?

I agree that the TWS peep sight will not work unless the front sight is machined at the same sight line level, co-witnessing not withstanding.

I have limited machine shop contacts, I am more of the fabric, webbing and buckles guy. I figure you probably have a little more clout than I would with Troy, MagPul or ARMS, etc. You are doing the Glock slides, maybe your machinist would like more innovative work.

It would be one more step to completing the 21st century TSD AK.

Just a thought.

Mike
    Last edited by shtgnr; 11-27-2011 at 10:12 PM.
    I am a paragon of virtue and friendship. So get out of my face and piss off.

Sto quod exsisto sentio

Quote Originally Posted by WadeP View Post
    Not the barrel. It comes from the factory with a fs/gb combo with 24mm threads and there is about 3.5" of barrel sticking out in front of the threads.
    Thanks. Is it worth using?
    "Live free or Die: Death is not the worst of evils."- Gen. John Stark
    www.XIPHIUS.com

Quote Originally Posted by Don Robison View Post
    What about a set of Troy folding sights with shortened sight towers?
    If Troy would sell their Micro height irons as individual front and rear instead as a set, you might get a workable set with a standard height front sight mounted on an ultimak and a micro height rear on the TWS. I'm not sure the height difference between the two rails, but the micro height should be somewhere around 3/8" shorter or so, I think. They were made to work on piston ARs, where the rail is taller.

You guys gave me an idea. Give me a week or so to seee about feasability.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters