Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Meyerco Dirk Pinkerton knives

I’ve been a big fan of small fixed blades for years, ever since getting my Morseth Boot, Gerber Mark I and Guardian back in the 70s. My state allows the carry of fixed blades with CCW permit, which prompts the appeal. I love my HAKs, Emerson La Griffes, Cold Steel Point Guards (now “Pro-Guard”), etc.

In that vein, I just spent some big bucks on some "custom" fixed knives and was pleasantly surprised. Meyerco produces several versions of Dirk Pinkerton's fixed blades, which I thought looked interesting. So I took the plunge and spent a total of $21 (through Amazon.com) and got two pretty cool tools.

The Thumb Drive utility keychain knife is basically a small kiridashi about the size of the Buck Hartsook necker. No, it's not SV30 and it's probably not heat treated by Paul Bos, but for nine or ten bucks it's not bad. AUS6 is given a bad rap, but unless you know its AUS6, you wouldn't really care. It slices and dices and is easy to sharpen. It’s easy to carry, handy and disposable. The sheath ain’t the greatest, but it works. I’m gonna put a better lanyard on it to improve the draw and grip.

The Variable Claw Ambidextrous is a variation of the Fred Perrin La Griffe or bearclaw design. For twelve bucks you get AUS6 and a not bad sheath. I like tinkering with blades I’m gonna keep, so I’ll probably bevel the grip a bit and inside the finger hole, then rewrap with some vintage 550 cord I’ve got left from “back in the day.” I think I kinda like it better than my Emerson La Griffe, which I NEVER thought I’d ever say. The blade is twice as long and the grip is symmetrical but works for me. I wear it as a necker now, but will probably mount the sheath on a Spyderco G-clip for reverse appendix carry.

I plan on getting a couple of more. The Variable Broad Head looks promising as a double bladed pocket or neck knife; the Wharning is a poor man’s Spyderco Ronin; and the Persian Personal Defense knife looks like a small fixed blade Chinook. The reviews are generally good with the occasional complaint about quality control on the grinds. As for the steel, AUS6 does a pretty good job on flesh.

As Mr. Kalashnikov often says, "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."

And for the money, why not? I often give away knives as gifts or to seduce and corrupt my friends into the dark side of the force. These little things are exotic looking, yet perfectly useable and practical. Knife snob that I am, I might even get one of Pinkerton’s handmade blades for vanity’s sake. They’re pretty affordable in comparison to other makers. But for those of us who understand the value of a disposable blade, well, the factory models are "good enough."
    Last edited by R Keith Hoffman; 01-23-2012 at 05:42 AM.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

I own several of Dirk's "Wharning" They are incredible knives for the price...They do indeed rival the cutting power of both the Yojimbo and Ronin, I find it makes a great outer pocket carry for SD. I don't care for the sheath and fixed clip set up, but hey for the price I'll deal with it....on a plus note the Wharning has a much stronger tip than the Ronin so if you need a good little utility knife that will do double duty as a SD tool....I'd say go for it...it's a no brainer.....Doc

Is the persian double edged?

The Persian is not double-edged, but could be; mine,in fact, will be soon as I get time to fiddle with my grinder. I'll post a more detailed review when I get to a real computer.
    Redneck Zen

I picked up a Wharning a little while ago. Nice little blade.
    Trevor

My enchantment for inexpensive carry blades led me round out my Pinkerton/Meyerco collection with the Wharning, Persian and Variable Broadhead.

THE WHARNING
    My observations regarding the Wharning matched up with the Doc's: this is indeed the poor man's Ronin. I was intrigued with the quality of the materials – the blade steel is 7Cr17, “good enough” for self defense – and the grip is an odd grade of micarta (More on that later). The blade design is flawless, flat ground with a subtle bevel along the front profile. The grind taper is stout toward the tip, stronger than the famed Ronin. The edge upon arrival was sharp enough, and a touch up with a stone puts in right in there with my more expensive blades.

Oddly enough, my Ronin – bought used – has a slight, nearly imperceptible bend near the tip, probably the result of an overly enthusiastic owner. I carried it for a while, but its replacement cost has stopped me from putting it to any real use or abuse.

Don’t you hate that?

My opinion of the Wharning’s grip has evolved. The design is small, but perfectly useable. There’s jimping along the back of the grip but not the spine of the blade. I don’t care, it works, but I wouldn’t miss it if it didn’t exist. The micarta looks homemade, ragged and faded with alternating shades of gray and black. At first I thought it sucked. But over the past week I’ve grown fond of it. Collectors and purists will hate it. Users won’t care. The authorities will think it’s a cheap utility knife; tossed in a fishing tackle box or tool kit, it won’t draw a second look. I’ve done this gig overseas, bought or taken a kitchen knife to carry in places where “weapons” were frowned upon. (You’d be surprised how many of our “armed forces” are required to go unarmed in some precarious environments.) Camouflaged in plain sight works quite well. Discretion is required and your mileage may vary.

The sheath doesn’t completely suck. It’s not kydex, though it looks like it. For now it works for pocket carry, and deploys pretty quick with a “thumb off” technique I’ve been using for years. I look forward to making a better sheath from quality kydex, rig it up with a Spyderco G-clip for horizontal carry at the eleven o’clock position.

I really like this knife. It’s probably my favorite Pinkerton Meyerco collaboration, followed by the Variable Claw and Broadhead. The Wharning blade design is uber useful as a utility knife and the Meyerco version is utilitarian, rugged and easy to sharpen. I even carry a little Boker Plus WHARCOM folder linked to a Fenix flashlight and find this an extremely useful kit. The Pinkerton Meyerco Wharning is now in my daily rotation – for the present, at least.

THE PERSIAN
    I haven’t messed with the Persian much yet. It’s actually a pretty good blade, the grind is excellent for the price, the profile lovely and the grip very nice, if a bit small. I actually like small grips – I still have my old Gerber Mk I from the 1970s and it has a small grip. The Persian’s grip is serviceable for my medium-size hands and makes the rig easy to conceal. Forward grip is great and reverse isn’t bad.

Again, this is for my hand … if you’re six foot plus be wary.

Keep in mind that this is a concealed carry knife, not a full battle-rattle go-to-war blade like an Al Mar Warrior. (I had one of those … don’t bother … not worth your time unless you’re a collector.)

The Persian reminds me of my Chinooks – I have both the Chinook II and III – and is about the same size, in fact. The Persian’s blade is a bit more pronounced in the curve, but the comparison stands. The folder’s grip is better and more secure for me, but the Persian would be faster deployed when TSHTF.

The question of being double edged was brought up. I’m going to sharpen mine. I like the idea of a mini-jambiya or mini-Warrior. This feature would make it work with trapping, back cuts, gutting, pikal, whatever your taste, style or ethnicity. Legality and morality are not in question here. Utility, opportunity and options are.

THE VARIABLE BROADHEAD
    There’s not much to say about the Variable Broadhead that hasn’t been said about other finger hole neck and concealed carry knives. It looks cheap and miniscule at first glance. I kinda didn’t like it. But once again I was fooled. The ergos are better than they look; it fits my hand as easily as my old Emerson La Griffe and is easily deployed. The sheath isn’t bad – soft plastic, once again, and not kydex. But for ten bucks, jeez, come on.

This is an expendable utility knife with twice the edge and none of the worry. I sometimes think about tracking down a titanium La Griffe, but because of the cost I’d rarely carry it for fear of loss; instead, if I’m worried about weight I’ll carry the VB and use the titanium La Griffe money to buy a really nice gun. Yeah, the claw design of the La Griffe and others might be better in a fight, but I don’t think an opponent will care much for a Broadhead stuck in his eye or carotid artery. It also opens up a bag of M&Ms pretty easily, too.

FYI, Pinkerton sells a handmade Broadhead on his site. The blade on it is considerably more substantial. Plus the cost isn’t exorbitant. He also sells a titanium version for under a hundred dollars.

CONCLUSION
    All in all, the Pinkerton Meyerco collection is worth a look for anyone interested in blades for self defense. They are cheap, but not exactly cheaply made. They’re not perfect, but they can be perfected. I will carry a couple and play with the others. And I’ve no doubt that I’ll buy a boatload more to give to my neophyte friends whom I’m luring to “the dark side” of weapons carry.

And, no, I am not paid to write any of this.
    Redneck Zen

Default A couple of Wharning Suggestions

I too carry my Wharning in outer pocket coat carry all fall and winter long. The lack of jimping on this knife really bothered me, so I took out Mr. Dremel and added my own to the spine....I made some very deep aggresive jimping with a Diamond Bit...It made all the difference in the world as far as control...and I'm glad I did it....I also didn't like the Cheapo look of the Micarta, everyone I tell to get one of these Babies always e-mails me and asks if the micarta is posed to look they way it does....Doesn't really bother me cause it's a user for sure, But that being said I took some black rubberize tennis wrap and built up the handle to make a palm swell and this also made a big difference in the feel and control of the knife....So I make these small suggestions you might want to try out...because passing on such a great little knife, with a price tag that won't break your bank....is really a shame. For those interested in a small super effective SD knife, the Wharning can be made into (with little expense) a Warrior's Combat ready tool that should serve you well should you find yourself in harms way.....Doc

I've got the Meyerco Wharning, like it a lot, but found another Meyerco I like even better, has become everyday necker:

The Law Dog.
    Doesn't have as good a steel (is "440"), but plenty sharp enough, great in the hand, etc. Good ole Blackie Collins design, too.

I even had custom kydex sheath made for it to improve on what came with it. 'Bout perfect blend of size, weight, stab/slash design, and comfort. I liked it so much I grabbed another to stash, as it is discontinued. Kicked a couple of significantly more expensive neckers out.

- OS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Oh Shoot; 11-02-2011 at 10:43 PM.

I just discovered Warriortalk.com and this topic. Very interesting place! And a topic I am most interested in!

I know it has been a while since this has been active but, I would like to say "Thank you" for the good words. Also, I thought I might give a little info.

First, the Wharning and Persian are on temporary hiatus. After the last production run was finished, I wanted to address some of the issues described in the posts. For the Wharning the "micarta" turned out to be a problem. Consistency was non existent. So, it is being switched to black textured G-10. The jimping will be extended from the spine of the handle down the spine of the blade. The sheath will also be changed to a more usable design. It will either be injection molded or "kydex". It is to have multiple mounting holes spaced at 1" intervals to accept a "tek-lock". The clip will most likely remain steel.

The Persian is also getting a new sheath as well. It will be getting a slightly different handle, a tweak on the blade shape and slightly thinner steel. This will make it move much better!

The Variable BroadHead and Claw are also getting some upgrades. However, the timing of the changes coincide perfectly with their next production run. That means they will be no wait. The changes on the BroadHead are for a longer blade, some jimping around the outside and a slightly more narrow handle. The Claw will be getting jimping as well. The transition from the handle will have a tighter radius to keep the fingers more secure on the handle. Both will look much more like the customs I make.

The crazy thing about all of the problems on the current model actually come down to lack of experience on my part. My good friend, Darrel Ralph introduced my work to Meyerco. They liked it and wanted to see more prototypes A.S.A.P. to make the catalog. Well, I sent what I had. That was development pieces. They are knives I make to work through designs. They get modified, cut down, ground on etc. Not meant to be sold or seen. That's where the lack of jimping and crappy sheath designs come in. I never asked to check the prototypes from the factory and Meyerco was so busy, they forgot to send them to me. Oh well. No worries! It all worked out and I have learned a lot!

Thanks again for the good words and for using my knives. Knowing people carry them, use them and depend on them means a lot to me.
    Last edited by Dirk; 01-22-2012 at 08:00 PM.

I sure like the Wharning, I've bought at least 6 of them - it is the knife in my wife's purse and I've given several to friends. I need to get a better sheath made but can get by with the one it comes with. I'm very interested Dirk to see the next revision of the Wharning and buy 5-6 of those too!