Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Randy,
    I was a police officer in the late seventies and into most of the eighties (the beginning of the street survival/officer survival era) but that was a long time ago and those days are vague memories now.

As a regular Joe for many years now, I still have those "street survival" concepts in my repertoire as well as a keen interest in all the newer stuff coming down the pike.

On this note, I commend you for your well written, well thought out, concise instruction. It goes a long way and puts into simple terms what is necessary for a favorable outcome. Kudos.

LOL at Snare. I'm not much for posting, and I'm usually opposed to "me too" and "+1" stuff, but this article was just too good to stay in hiding from. Ears open, mouth shut, most of the time (at least on the internet, anyway)!

Here's an example of why I like to include the fourth rule of "stupid times."

A George Washington University student has died following an assault near the school, the school announced.

According to police report, Patrick David Casey, 33, got into a physical confrontation with three people outside a McDonald's restaurant in the 1900 block of M Street about 2:40 a.m. Friday. One of the men punched Casey, who fell backward and landed on the pavement.
    Being at a McDonald's near George Washington University is not being stupid in and of itself (not like I consider a Waffle House at any time of the day). During the day and evening it is well trafficked and the people that go there would generally be okay people to be around. But being at that same place at a quarter to 3 on a Friday night (not long after bars closing time) does become something stupid to do.
    Last edited by Nick Randall; 09-29-2011 at 02:56 AM.

Default Sums it up really well.

THis sums things up pretty well, and makes " exploding off the x " understandable. I was tought, and have taught my own students to " orbit" an adversary. Nra classes tech moving while drawing, but not the dynamic way SI teaches, apparently. I haven't had a whole lot of trouble with moving targets, so the whole thing never made sense to me. When you add, " orbiting" to " exploding off the x" you begin to make sense.
    Herr Doktor Kindergarten Nra Basic pistol instructor Nra Personal Protection Inside the Home Nra Personal Protectoin Outside the Home Nra Refuse TO Be A Victim NRA Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor NC CCH instructor NCWRC Hunter Safety Instructor. GLOCK ARMorer

Exploding off the X can be to any direction...but frankly some directions make counter attacking the BG more difficult. I can move to 6 o'clock and TECHNICALLY be getting farther away...but it does not make me any less a target and it does little to disrupt his OODA cycle.

If cover is available and you can get there then do so and use it.

But many times it just is not available OR the BG is closer than cover is. At that point moving to cover is not an option. So what do we do? Get off the X and burn them down.

Moving to the forward obliques (2 o'clock and 10 o'clock ) and continuing to move (as you shoot) until they go down makes it easier for you and harder for him. Of course if your feet were already moving that way as you were stepping to 3 or 9 and then orbiting to check your 6 when it started, then you are already on your way to flanking him .

All of these issues and MORE will be covered when my much rumored video hits OST.....
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 09-29-2011 at 03:20 PM.
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG, CO
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

Awesome post Randy, I third the nomination for making this a sticky! Great way to break it down in a concise and logical manner.
    PSP
    FRS
    FOF
    CRG
    ARG
    0-5

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Harris View Post
    All of these issues and MORE will be covered when my much rumored video hits OST.....
    Saving my pennies already...

Exploding off the X can be to any direction...but frankly some directions make counter attacking the BG more difficult. I can move to 6 o'clock and TECHNICALLY be getting farther away...but it does not make me any less a target and it does little to disrupt his OODA cycle.

If cover is available and you can get there then do so and use it.

But many times it just is not available OR the BG is closer than cover is. At that point moving to cover is not an option. So what do we do? Get off the X and burn them down.

Moving to the forward obliques (2 o'clock and 10 o'clock ) and continuing to move (as you shoot) until they go down makes it easier for you and harder for him. Of course if your feet were already moving that way as you were stepping to 3 or 9 and then orbiting to check your 6 when it started, then you are already on your way to flanking him .

I will be getting the video when it hits OST,

Is there a ETA for it give or take?

I'm hoping (and praying) for Christmas. But that is just a hope right now......
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG, CO
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

I'm hoping (and praying) for Christmas. But that is just a hope right now......
    DVD's make great stocking stuffers IMO!
    "You don't know what you don't know," this is both an affront to the ego and a provocation to the spirit.