Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default BECOME THE COMPLETE WARRIOR

If the goal is to build a renaissance warrior...a man that is both educated and physically deadly, I would follow a progression like I describe below. Some of us have been blessed to begin the journey early...growing up and living a martial lifestyle. Other guys have lived a traditional American lifestyle yet one day wake up and realize they need to fill a void. That void is something I should write about more, but it comes as a realization that there is a great deal that life may demand of them as men, that they are currently unable to do. Some call it a "midlife" thing, but I think it is a realization that there is unfinished man-business that must be attended to.

1). Get fit.
    That means lift heavy shit. Drop the jogging and slogging...forget the Namaste Yoga stuff and the water aerobics. Go to the gym and lift. A man needs muscles and strength, not a food storage unit around the gut. When he takes off his shirt, the impression should be "sht that dude looks strong", not "oh look...the dad bod guy is here...get him another beer".

2). Get your mind right about who you are and your place in the universe.
    And I am not talking about religion...I am talking about educating your brain and thought processes to think like a warrior. Read shit. In a generation America will likely be functionally illiterate...don't be like the masses. In fact, everything you do here should be to separate you from the collective. You may walk among them...but you are not like them.

3). Now we get into fighting skills.
    Be realistic about this. Realistic in terms of who you train with, what you train, and the intensity. Arrive at a balance based on life, age, location, etc. Avoid martial bullshit. Its not China or Feudal Japan. You don't need to meditate or perfect your character, or anything of the sort and the instructor is not your f*cking "master". You are paying him to teach you to break people. You have no time for silliness, pseudo-religious culture immersion, or stuff like that. Its a business deal. I pay you this much for this long and you teach me to kick asses with skill and style. Watch my video on selecting a school.

4). Not every type of school will fit every person.
    Search and look around like buying a car. You will "like" certain things and that will help you select. Much will have to do with proximity. A pretty good school ten miles away is better than a great school 200 miles away. Regardless, your MAIN SKILL SET to learn is striking and kicking. It could be boxing, or muay thai, or proper karate, or whatever, but the key to winning street fights is hitting hard and damaging the opponent's body with your fists and feet, nor in grappling with them. That said, knowing HOW TO GRAPPLE is important, not because that is plan A, but because it may begin that way, or it may devolve to that. And while whatever you select may not have everything, it should have most of it. You should supplement.

For example, I am nearly 60 and have plenty of injuries. I despise the idea of ground fighting. If you manage to take me down, my plan is to stab you in the taint, bite your jugular out, or screw my Glock into your ear and kill you. I can't afford an easily incurred injury from wrestling on the sidewalk, so my plan is to treat any take down, or attempted take down as a deadly force threat. My ground game is based on that, and the goal is to get back up. Karate has grappling, but it was never well developed when I trained it, so I sought additional training in Jujitsu. I still hate grappling, but I have added that skill because I was lacking. Training is not about loyalty to a school...it is about covering all the points that need to be covered.

Also...if the martial training (or conditioning...or strength training) is so severe that you can't lift (or walk) for several days afterwards, its too much. Dial it back or find another school. The goal is to develop as a complete fighter not get your ass kicked twice a week and then be in bed taking meds between training sessions.

5). THEN and only then, will I worry about guns.
    Usually it goes the other way...middle aged dude goes and buys a gun and takes a CCW class. Problem is that dude is now a shooter and not a FIGHTER and there is a serious tangible difference there. If I have a class full of "fighters", I can say we are going to hit the target over there and the fighter has a total understanding of the concept. We are going to damage the adversary and hopefully kill him so he can't reciprocate and thus we win the fight. The shooter thinks he is going to make a few holes in the cardboard and end up with a great grouping.

It is far easier to add the firearm to a warrior's set of skills, than to teach a shooter to be a warrior. It is a fundamental and mental difference that I have seen repeatedly for the last twenty years. And it is something that is built and nurtured and grown through continual physical training and immersion in combat skills training. It doesn't just happen like a change of mind about what you want for lunch...or which shirt you want to wear.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Great reminders Maestro.

Just finished a work out of lots of push-ups, pull-ups, dips, rows, etc.

Then 30 minutes of hill climbs on the elliptical; one minute on each level from 15 to max 20. Up and down 4 times.

Dry practice on all “even levels” using LaserAmmo on a LaserPet target about 10 feet away. 2 handed, primary hand, support hand.

The root word of “gunfighting”

Is

FIGHTING!
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

Complete Pistol Gunfighter
    Force on Force
    Killing within the Law
    Pistol Groundfighting

Preach.

Just finished a virtual lesson with one of my best students…rifle gunfighting! An hour of dry rifle work is good for both the soul and the heart.

It’s also a nice warm up before hitting the iron…and on that note, it’s time to get stronger.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post

2). Get your mind right about who you are and your place in the universe.
    And I am not talking about religion...I am talking about educating your brain and thought processes to think like a warrior. Read shit. In a generation America will likely be functionally illiterate...don't be like the masses. In fact, everything you do here should be to separate you from the collective. You may walk among them...but you are not like them.
    This is incredibly true. Honestly, I am stuck here. When I try to think.. what is my purpose? Why am I here? Why do I exist?

Unfortunately, I come up short. I have no answer.

Concrete reading tips would be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    This is incredibly true. Honestly, I am stuck here. When I try to think.. what is my purpose? Why am I here? Why do I exist?

My POV. Purpose will become evident when you find it. I would avoid the overly lofty, pious, or vague. And that purpose may change through the years...but a man of action will be the same man snd mind at 15, 45, and 90. And with some effort...the body wont lose much.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Your other half will play a huge role in this.

My ex-wife was only about Disneyland and vacations to show off on IG.

We became incompatible, her 'growing' in one direction and myself in another.

An incompatible partner is the most likely thing to turb your into a standard issue Suburbanite.

What do you dream about doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Taylor View Post
    Your other half will play a huge role in this.

My ex-wife was only about Disneyland and vacations to show off on IG.

We became incompatible, her 'growing' in one direction and myself in another.

An incompatible partner is the most likely thing to turb your into a standard issue Suburbanite.
    That is a very legitimate point. In the journey of seeking excellence, one will generally have to make time to train. Most of us have very busy lives and it is easy to say ill get to it tomorrow or do it later because the woman wants to do something else. I am fortunate to have a wife that not only understands and appreciates the discipline it requires, but she sometimes even trains with me. Ive dated women in the past, including those who worked in law enforcement that would bitch and question why i trained and practiced as much as i did. Those relationships eventually dissolved. At those times id say, if i could only put a silencer on a woman! Lol

“If you are too lazy to train to be dangerous without a weapon, then you probably aren’t disciplined enough to make yourself useful with one; which means your aren’t “armed and dangerous” but instead “armed and useless.”

Saw this a couple years ago and it reminded me I should practice more of my boxing/striking and a bit less dry fire drills during the week, since any confrontation I might find myself a part of is likely going to start as a fistfight before the possibility of it becoming a gunfight.

Good reminder to be fit, skilled and in the right frame of mind because all fights aren’t gunfights.
    Masters in Warfare -- OEF Class of 2002-2003, 2006-2007
    Majors: Offensive Terminal Ballistics and Overseas Bovine Scatology

"Fighting (of any kind) is just high level problem solving with dire physical consequences ."
    Joe Rogan

Quote Originally Posted by WOLF220 View Post
    That is a very legitimate point. In the journey of seeking excellence, one will generally have to make time to train. Most of us have very busy lives and it is easy to say ill get to it tomorrow or do it later because the woman wants to do something else.
    If it is important enough to them then folks will do it. If it is not then they won't. If their significant other complains about them trying to get healthier then that significant other might hold too much significance in their life for the amount of concern they show for their partner.

For the last year I go to the gym 6 days a week unless I'm out of town. Mon -Wed I normally go at lunch (gym is 7 minutes from work) and then again after work. I lift at lunch , clean up , go back to work and then after work I do treadmill and finish up any lifting I didn't get finished at lunch. On Thursday I either go in the morning before work to lift and then treadmill after I leave for the day at 1pm or I just do the whole 2 hours after I get off at 1. On Friday I'm off from my day job and either do it all in one session or break it up into 2 if I want to . Saturday is my "rest day" from the gym because that's the day I'm most likely to miss whether it is because I'm teaching or because I'm doing life stuff with the wife. Sunday evening I go lift and do treadmill. I probably have not missed a week's worth of days in the last year except for the week in Feb of this year that I had Covid...(again) which this time was like a mild flu. My wife is on board with me getting healthier because as she said " I almost lost you once" and she'd rather me go to the gym on the way home than me come home and not go to the gym.

Why am I such a fiend about it? Because I ended up in the ICU in Nov 2019 with a saddle pulmonary embolism that they say almost killed me (probably very early Covid case before Covid was on the radar in the US ). We think it may have been Covid because they diagnosed me with an "unknown virus" on Nov 19 2019 and on Nov 25 I was in ICU with 7 DVT blood clots in left leg and a saddle pulmonary embolism. Apparently Covid is likely to cause blood clots in people with type A blood. While recovering I was unable to really do anything physical for 6 months and I got really weak and out of shape and had to be really careful about "overdoing it" when it came to anything physical (maybe "long haul Covid before that was a thing). We don't know for SURE because by the time there was a Covid test available I was outside the time the antibodies would still show up as my incident was in November and it was March before Covid became a thing in the US. So we are just guessing but whatever caused it laid me low for several months and my health really deteriorated. I vowed to never let that happen again. In 2020 all I could really do was walk for exercise. By late March of 21 I instituted my gym regimen and have stuck with it now for over a year. So now I'm healthier, I sleep better , I am stronger than I have been in 10 years and in better cardio shape, and I'm shooting better. All it takes is commitment. Do I feel like not going some days? Of course. But I also know I'll be better off going than not.
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG, CO
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....