Default "Core Strength" Test

I happened upon an article describing what the author considers his basic 'core strength' assessment for his clients. I don't remember his name or I would credit him here.

Put a watch on the deck under your face so you can count off the seconds.
    Do not rest between positions - transition quickly.

The assessment takes 3 minutes and consists of:

1:00 hold the "plank position" (similar to top position in push-ups but on your elbows instead of hands)

immediately after that minute is up...

0:15 same position but raise right arm out in front of you. Still have left elbow and feet on deck but right arm/hand in air like superman

immediately after that...

0:15 right elbow back on deck and left hand out in front this time. Transition quickly.

0:15 both elbows on deck but raise right leg (so now you have both elbows down, but only left foot down in plank position)

0:15 same thing, just switch legs

0:15 left leg back down, but now put left arm out in front again AND opposite (right) leg up at the same time. This is plank position but only supported by right elbow and left foot.

0:15 quickly switch arm and leg (right arm out in front, left leg raised)

0:30 back to starting plank (on elbows and feet) for this final 30 seconds.

Regardless of any other exercise I do any given day, I now make sure to throw in a set of these. Over the past few weeks, the lower back pain I have had for a very long time as decreased dramatically.

My wife was amused at my first wobbly attempts and joked that she wanted to see the part when I had to lift both legs off the deck at the same time.

Your right, that is a butt kicker...

Live, Laugh, Love. If that doesn't work, Load, Aim and Fire. (repeat as necessary)

Plank variations are a great way to strengthen your core, particularly your transverse abdominus. Standard crunches and sit-ups just don't get you that type of core strength.

Mix it up with some side planks as well. Once your obliques and TA gain strength, you can do leg raises from side plank.

Also, from your back. Drive hips up toward ceiling so there is a straight line from your knees, to hips, to your shoulders. Keep your hips neutral and alternate knee extensions (point one foot straight up). Alternate those while doing dumbell flys, and keep the hips up. Good stuff.

the best core test is your deadlift, your standing overhead press, and your front squat.

Quote Originally Posted by twinboysdad View Post
    the best core test is your deadlift, your standing overhead press, and your front squat.
    These are valuable, however, with my L4-L5 and L5-S1 disk problems - are a no go. At least for now.

The best core strength test is the ability to do extended standing ab wheel rollouts.

I live in the southwest. And work globally.
    I wanted to share one I enjoy for the core.

http://www.hundredpushups.com/week1.html