Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    One of the 'Sharpshooter' programs on History Channel illustrated this well. They put a quick-draw competitor up against a robot in a movie-style Western face-off. The robot had a laser so you could see where it's shot would have gone. Well the quick-draw artist won the 'gunfight' by .1 seconds, which pleased him. He would not have been so pleased to know that the laser indicated that he would have been shot in the gut .1 seconds after his shot.

Beating the man to the shot may guarantee you a win, but it won't guarantee you survive to go home. If you haven't already, start working on movement. Now.
    Si vis pacem, para violentus.

"Hard pressed on my right; my left is in retreat. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."--Marshall Foch

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Wiese View Post
    Greg, I was thinking Rule #1 is "Have a Gun!", LOL. Ricco, I understand where you are coming from but I would weight getting off the X faster slightly more than a super fast drawstroke. The longer you are an easy target the more likely you are to get hit. Exploding off the X will make you a much more difficult target. Your drawstroke still has to be fast but you buy some time by getting quickly off the X. Just MHO.
    On a larger scale it is called maneuver warfare vs attrition warfare. Maneuver warfare wins.
    I was born for a storm, and a calm does not suit me. - Andrew Jackson

we as a culture need to get rid of the old Revolutionary War and Wild West shoot out mentality and start thinking Playstation and John Woo. While this is an exageration it adds context. Flair for flairs sake is just wasted energy and stand and deliver is just stupidity, winning the fight through unconventional fire and manuver leads to a safer outcome in an unsafe situation. Think, Move, Shoot.
    Last edited by Greg Nichols; 11-27-2015 at 08:51 AM.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Valvert Lucius Fox Guest
    Great thread!!! One of my great problems is that I run in one place too long and if I bend over getting off the X it traps my gun in an appendix holster making the draw slow an awkward.
    Last edited by Greg Nichols; 11-27-2015 at 08:51 AM.

that does happen when moving to your gun hand but the dip only lasts for a split second and the gun should come free on the second step. if moving off hand it shouldn't be an issue to clear leather. Roger is a great resource take advantage to pick his brain during breaks and lunch so you get the most for your buck out of the training. The material for this thread is stolen from Gabe coupled with my experience and put into my words "Owning" the concept of Dynamic Movement and GOTX for myself. Nothing new just a different perspective, interpretation or focus.
    Last edited by Greg Nichols; 11-27-2015 at 08:52 AM.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Well said brother, So keep in mind that the focus of this thread is training, defining, exercising, and working Dynamic Movement. Is your draw stroke a dynamic movement? If it isn't it should be, the same with GOTX or movement to cover.

The focus and intent is to dispel what most people think dynamic movement is and what it's for. If you're inside 300M of direct accurate rifle fire should you be moving dynamically? You bet your ass, but do you need to do the same thing at 100M of pistol fire? I wouldn't say so, your needs are different. I am attempting to isolate moving in a dynamic fashion not "what if" through a decision making skill set. That topic is better left to a FOF breakdown than this topic
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

None of it is complicated, but all together it is in depth.
    Observe/look at what the situation is giving you (weak points) from a deceptive disposition as you Orient yourself.
    Decide/determine your strategy, keep it as simple, be decisive and quick about it.
    At the moment of Action, be explosive, aggressive, deliberate, and unstoppable in both mind and body.
    Last edited by paranoid; 08-20-2011 at 05:11 AM.
    Paul

America First
    Anti Globalist

Greg, I was answering a question posed by Valvert Lucius Fox. He seemed to be caught up in "the technique" instead of "the concept." Since I will be training with him in VA in October, I wanted to begin to get his mind wrapped around what he will be learning.

I was also hoping to add some additional context to your very well done thread. Even SI students can get technique fixated and not concept focused.
    Not attempting to re direct you my friend, I completely agree with your post and appreciate any input you might have

You always make me think of more details worth talkin' about
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

The Concept of movement vs. the Technique of movement are entirely different. Grasping the technique so that you can perform it is important as it allows you to practice it until it's yours. The concept is more important IMHO, you have to understand the why as much as you do the how so you don't end up putting a square peg in a round hole. In the context of a fight improper understanding can get you killed.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Wiese View Post
    Greg, I was thinking Rule #1 is "Have a Gun!", LOL. Ricco, I understand where you are coming from but I would weight getting off the X faster slightly more than a super fast drawstroke. The longer you are an easy target the more likely you are to get hit. Exploding off the X will make you a much more difficult target. Your drawstroke still has to be fast but you buy some time by getting quickly off the X. Just MHO.
    I have always practiced the draw and the PTO simultaneously. It was the way Gabe demonstrated it to us so for the last 4 years it's the way I have done it. I walk toward the target, the timer goes, (or my FOF partner draws) I PTO, draw and fire. Always from concealment. After the thousands of reps I've done over the last 4 years I'm not sure I could change if I wanted to.