Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pets

Default Pets

I've seen animals mentioned in several threads lately, and I was just wondering how many WT members consider our critters to be part of living "the good life?" Not the animals you keep around strictly for guard duty, rodent control, or other utilitarian purposes. They may do those things for you, but I mean the ones that you keep around primarily for companionship; the ones that you let into your house.

For most of us that means dogs and cats, but there are plenty of other types of pets that people keep, and I'm curious to hear about those, too. I've known people who kept things like ferrets and even skunks, and while they weren't really my thing (I could say the same thing about dogs for that matter), they seemed to get a lot of joy out of them.

Personally, my family has always had one or more cats around, except for a few years when my mom was sick, and when we lived in a rented house for a while. I admire the independence and spirit of the cat, and like sharing my home with an animal that retains a hunter's instinct. When we lived in a place where it was relatively safe to let them outside, it was neat how they would occasionally present us with trophies, although not so cool when my gray fluff ball would like to play catch and release inside the house. We had to institute a mouth check policy at the door after that. And all the other funny things that they do. We even had one that would fetch (but only rubber o-rings) for a while.

And no matter what kind of critter lives with you, I think one of the better things in life is when they curl up next to or on top of you and fall asleep (or turn on the purr, if a cat).

I've owned Rotts, Labs, Pits, Goldens, and an Irish over the years...great dogs..but now 3 Dachshunds...best dogs I've ever owned...almost the loudest too...LOL...

CRG-Suarez International Combat Pistol Instructor

SIG SAUER CERTIFIED ARMORER M400, 516, 716, M4, AR15, M16

I usually have several hound dogs, and some sort of "regular" non-hound dog.

I'm currently down to one Basset Hound, and a Portuguese Water Dog. Looking at their ages, I'll probably begin looking for another hound or two shortly. Unlike an intelligent hound owner, I do allow the hounds to live in the house. My grandfather, who raised them for over half a century, thought I was daft to do so. I hope never to be without a hound.

We also seem to have a cat in the house. I hate cats. This cat hates everyone in the house, except for me, apparently it has singled me out to be its best friend. Stupid cats.

I have a guinea pig sitting in my office. My daughter usually has some small rodents as 4H projects, and my office is the only room in the house the cat isn't allowed in, so the rodents tend to hang out with me. For a few years recently she had a nice colony of rats, which were very interesting. I was dubious at first, but the rats turned out to be highly intelligent and interactive. Even the guinea pig doesn't bother me too much, I remembered them from my boyhood as being basically furry rocks, but if they are with you all the time, they develop a personality and behaviours - this one greets me as I come and go, comments on my musical selections in the office, and has vocalizations indicating which sort of food he's out of, or if he wants water.

Last edited by bae; 08-08-2011 at 05:35 PM.
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam

I definitely think having critters is part of living the good life. That's not say I have a menagerie, but if the wife was left to her own devices we certainly would. Right now just a basset hound and a cat. Both are fairly useless from a utility standpoint ... they don't do too much. The cat isn't much of a mouser but she is hell on roaches. The dog, well she's too slow to catch much but she tries. Did tree a racoon the other day.

When those two pass on there will be more in the future.

Grey Man Guest
    I love my puppy, she definitely knows how to live the good life and she loves my 6 month old son. I'll post a pic later. I do consider her an "extra" she costs $ to feed and is certainly time intensive (exercise, training, just playing with to wear out) etc. But I know in the future she will be a valuable member of the family.

Also bought the wife a canary, he pretty much sings and flitters around and makes cool noises. Is not cool with being handled. I look at him kinda like plants and my wife's piano - she likes living things and music, it does cost extra, but thats what moneys for.

I may not drive a camaro - yet. But I like to think that for being 22 I have some pretty nice things.

When I can get around to posting pics I have some great ones of my barn cat.
    I have pics of him under my truck and it looks like he is my mechanic!
    I have horses and my favorite is my Palomino who is about 11yrs old. I honestly believe she found me instead of me finding her. Every feeding or just when I am in the barn she will greet me with her knickering and we share breath.
    If horses aren't allowed in Heaven I ain't goin' !!!
    Seriously, she makes the work in keeping a farm worth it all.
    I lost the best dog I ever had last year. I miss him real bad. The dog I have now is a real treat,but doesn't come close to ole' Digit........
    My pets are my kids as I have no human kids. These kids mind better anyway. And Lord help you if you mistreat one of mine.

I breed bullmastiffs and created my own line from old stock still being used in some diamond mines for protection as well as top American and English conformation lines. I train them for protection and very selectively place them. I am working on bringing back the real protector of the past. I used to work with German shepherds, Rottweilers and Belgian Malinois but wanted to turn from a guard breed to a protection breed. It is very time consuming and expensive, but very rewarding.
    What I believe will happen is one thing.
    What I think will happen is something altogether different.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Pfleger View Post
    If you want love in your life......get a good dog. If you want to pay for it as well.......a great horse
    How many people have a picture of their horse in their wallet?

There is no animal in the world that will love you quite as much as a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Ours has a few health issues tho...next time we'll go for a Cockalier (Cav-Cocker mix) and hope to skip some of the genetic baggage. Love my Brittany, but he's 8 and still hyper.
    Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruning hooks into spears; let the weak say, I am a warrior. Joel 3:10

I love dogs....
    Last edited by The Bad Guy; 08-09-2011 at 06:41 PM.