Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Tier 1 watches

Grey Man Guest
    My citizen eco drive is pretty nice looking but I wouldn't call it tier 1.

BTW Fuzzy - nice avatar, looks familiar.

Although I do appreciate a good timepiece, I just don't get the whole Rolex-Piaget-Omega thing. As hard as I am on watches, my Casio Pathfinder will do just fine.
    "Most people find change in their dryer, I find bullets"- My wife

I will remember that if the monsterous creature is within clubbing range, it is a tight situation, and start clubbing. This is true even if my firearm still works. No reason not to club and shoot at the same time.

Whacking: The redistribution or impairment of biological functions intended to eliminate intercellular cooperation within a sentient organism.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    I guess I shouldn't say anthing my EDC watch is a 54mm Invicta Sea Spider Chrono, not too subtle
    Big watches tend to be unsubtle, and in some cases are basically just pocketwatches strapped to your wrist :-)

Glycine KMU-48, a really nice watch for a very reasonable price, at the time:

Panerai Luminor Marina
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Don Robison View Post
    ...it would be my working on the truck watch. Strike that, it probably would be I'm horrible about remembering to take my "good clothes" off before I start something.
    Guilty as charged....Almost seven years now. Never without it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    An RMR mounted Glock....."It's just cheating"

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Rumbaugh View Post
    Although I do appreciate a good timepiece, I just don't get the whole Rolex-Piaget-Omega thing. As hard as I am on watches, my Casio Pathfinder will do just fine.
    It's not a piece that I wear frequently, but I have my dad's Rolex that he purchased new in 1960. It could bring about $10k today, but I wouldn't sell it however, it's nice knowing that it's an asset. It will be passed on to my son. Some people couldn't fathom spending that much on a time piece, while others understand it and appreciate it thoroughly.
    "I'll be your huckleberry"

The best watch I ever had was a IWC Fliegerchronograph. It looks like bae actually has all of the watches he has shown us. If I had his money, I have no doubt that I would have some of the same watches. Hey, bae, I know you have some watches by Patek Philippe, and IWC. The figure of $10,000 has been tossed around for the "Tier 1" watches, but do you all know what the grande complications cost? I wouldn't be surprised if the Blancpain Tourbillon wasn't $100,000 plus or minus $15,000.
    Last edited by jg74851; 08-03-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: clarify who "you" refers to

For those who don't want to cut loose with the dough, Orient of Japan makes some nice automatic watches that are Rolex submariner-style.

I have always liked watches. Women's watches have faces that are too small save for dress purposes. At one point I had a Breitling Chronomat with a black face and large gold arabic numerals. You could read the time from 10 feet away. I wore it about 5 years, then sold it. Now, years later, I would like to wear it again. But what they cost now, holy cats!! No can do, unfortunately.

About expensive watches and being low-profile: street turds have no clue about watches. If it has a pave' diamond face, they will get excited about that. But generally, only other watch afficionados will care about your watch. Folks who don't care about watch brands won't know what it is or what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Texican_gal View Post
    For those who don't want to cut loose with the dough, Orient of Japan makes some nice automatic watches that are Rolex submariner-style.

I have always liked watches. Women's watches have faces that are too small save for dress purposes. At one point I had a Breitling Chronomat with a black face and large gold arabic numerals. You could read the time from 10 feet away. I wore it about 5 years, then sold it. Now, years later, I would like to wear it again. But what they cost now, holy cats!! No can do, unfortunately.

About expensive watches and being low-profile: street turds have no clue about watches. If it has a pave' diamond face, they will get excited about that. But generally, only other watch afficionados will care about your watch. Folks who don't care about watch brands won't know what it is or what it's worth.
    Be that as it may, I don't wear my Omega when I travel...the Casio G-shock gets the call. For openers, if I lose the Casio, I can replace it. I am also less likely to get jacked for my watch in a less than stellar neighborhood. I say this as a guy who got held up at knifepoint for a nice Seiko in Doha, Qatar. That was the LAST time I travelled with a decent watch.
    Mossyrock
    "Leave all that can be spared behind. We travel light. Let's hunt some Orc!"
    Aragorn, heir to Isildur

FN-FAL: converting "cover" into "concealment" since 1954.

Quote Originally Posted by jg74851 View Post
    The best watch I ever had was a IWC Fliegerchronograph.
    I really like IWC. They have some great engineering, a bit of history, and great customer support. And I like that they make some of their models with their classic historical look.

One of my favorite watches is just a simple IWC Flieger XII

Hey, bae, I know you have some watches by Patek Philippe, and IWC.
    I don't own a single Patek, and don't think I ever will. I had several very bad customer service experiences with them, *before I even managed to buy one*, and won't be spending any of my cash with them, when there are plenty of other craftsmen out there who are easy to do business with.

The figure of $10,000 has been tossed around for the "Tier 1" watches, but do you all know what the grande complications cost? I wouldn't be surprised if the Blancpain Tourbillon wasn't $100,000 plus or minus $15,000.
    It's not so much a matter of cost, watch-nerds judge more by craftsmanship, history, innovation, scarcity, honesty, and so on. Those things can drive up costs - some of the complicated watches can run you > $300k, but there are also real bargains out there, and you can get a top-tier watch for far less. This excludes any "bling" from fancy metals, precious stones, and unobtainum materials.

I enjoy more the mechanical bit, which is probably why I have some pretty wacky watches, but don't care so much about the metals used. Here's an example of what I mean, from IWC:

Perpetual calendar, chronograph, moon phase. In an ugly bombproof titanium case. Does IWC know their target market, or what?

By contrast, I had to twist Blancpain's arm to get something similar, with their plain military dial and case:

Last edited by bae; 08-03-2011 at 02:34 PM.
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam

WOW! I thought I was movin' up in the world when I bought my Tag Heuer Aquaracer Calibre 5 automatic? It was quite a purchase for someone used to G-shocks and Luminox for dressy! Looks like I have some catching up to do. Nice time pieces guys!