Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Zero to Five Feet Ohio with Randy Harris, 7/23-7/24

When I first heard about Suarez International, this class was the reason SI was recommended. I have been looking forward to taking this class since my first at SI, and finally had the opportunity this weekend in Ohio to take it with Randy Harris. This class is by far my favorite that I have taken so far. I believe it is the most complete class for the civilian realm that I have taken to date. The mixture of hand to hand, knife defense, and weapon access that Randy taught this weekend is exactly what the focus should be for the concealed carry civilian.

In this class youíre not just practicing the techniques on a bag or on a target, itís hands on! You work against a live human and see for yourself what works and what doesnít. In this class you will get a little dirty, a little scratched, a little bruised, and a little soreÖ. but itís worth it. In my opinion you have to experience these things to best prepare yourself for the real thing. This class exposes you to the concept of distance, when is it appropriate to go for a weapon, when do I go for the bad guy, how do I go for the bad guy, when should I run, what do I do if I fall, what if there is more than one? All of these plus more are addressed in this class.

I believe you have to learn to become comfortable in this contact range to truly understand and be most effective against what majority of us are most likely to face. This class provides you with a great opportunity to deal with a live attacker and experience what itís like to deal with some common attacks so that, as Randy stated all weekend, the first time you see it is not when itís for real. The techniques shown by Randy were solid, gross motor techniques, that I believe give you the best chance in a real high stress attack. He went into enough detail that I believe each student walked away understanding what they needed to train and practice with these techniques to become better.

Now, I donít want to paint the picture that this class is just one big beating and all your doing is getting your butt kicked by a couple of guys, and theyíre shooting and stabbing you. Techniques are shown, students are given the opportunity to work them with a partner, and then they are put into a pressure test type drill. The drills arenít total chaos, and no serious injuries were sustained during any of the drills. But you may get a few cuts and scrapes from rolling around on the ground, itís just the nature of the beast.

With that being said, the attitude of everyone in the class was awesome. Everyone was willing to jump right into the drills and didnít shy away from anything thrown our way. We were able to push each other without injuring each other. We even had a guy with third degree burns on his shooting hand that stuck right in there with everyone else on all the drills. I enjoyed training with everyone and hope to get to train with everyone again, it was a blast.

Randy, again excellent course. For anyone who hasnít taken a course from Randy, I highly recommend it. He knows how to do a lot more than just shoot, he brings a ton to the table in every aspect of fighting and I believe his experiences and training made this weekend a complete class. Very few places are there an opportunity to get a class that covers all the aspects of a fight that this class covers, TAKE IT!!

The only thing that I have to complain about from this past weekend is the amount of 80ís Hair Metal music I was exposed to. I still havenít recovered from it, and Iíve been in a 12 hour Heavy Metal rehab Ö.. thanks a lot.

Thanks!

This class is to some degree what all the work is working toward. What is the worst case fight? One where the BG is SUPER close and has the initiative and starts the fight. Unfortunately that is also what is very likely for us to find ourselves in. As such that is really what we need to be working on if it is in fact both LIKELY and WORST CASE both at the same time....

This class is the true integration of gun , knife , and empty hand defense at close range. As several students mentioned this class really could be a week long and still be time well spent. From the awareness and pre fight positioning issues to the getting off the X if you are able or covering and crashing and clinching if you can't get off the x to the grounded work to dealing with multiple opponents this class covers that area where just drawing and shooting is not only NOT the best answer, but it is probably going to be impossible to just draw and shoot without first getting out of the hole and gaining better position first.

If you think you don't need to know how to fight because you carry a gun this class will definitely make your priorities change. When you see just how fast an encounter can go from exchanging words to ending up on the ground with 2 guys with knives trying to make you look like swiss cheese you will begin to start looking at your gun as JUST ANOTHER TOOL, not as a magic talisman to scare off all evil....

This class is physical. But then so is jogging and jazzercise.....The class is physical without being abusive. If a class that is supposed to be preparing you for street combat at 2 arms length is less stressful and less strenuous than a game of "petty cake" then that class would be of....QUESTIONABLE value.... We got in there and moved people around and stabbed and shot each other working it against live opponents, not just on paper.

We had guys in class that were mid 20s and in good shape with lots of combatives background , a guy in his 50s with no combatives background, and everything in between.We had big strong guys. We had short super fast guys. We had mid sized wiry strong guys and we had just "normal" guys. The stuff we teach though works for all of the above..and it has to because the bad guys that attack the 25 year old are going to be the same that attack the 50 year olds. They are not going to take it easy on you.....

Having said that, everyone came through none the worse for wear. Other than being a little sore from using muscles they are not used to using no one had any real injuries.

The one guy who showed up for class with a 3rd degree burn on his shooting hand worked it out like a soldier and still got about 90% of the reps everyone else got. We don't expect anyone to do more than they can do. Just give me the best you can for as long as you can give your best not give me the most you can until you can't give anything else.

A big thanks to wbacker89 for helping out doing some evolutions as the "guest badguy" so that everyone could get some reps against a padded "irrational angry guy" so that everyone could see that the techniques do really work real time at full speed against a non compliant opponent.

Of course I think he may have been irrational and angry from being forced to listen to some old school "hair bands" like Cinderella, Great White and Dokken on the ride up there.....

One thing I mentioned after the class.....in this class there was no talk of "what kind of gun do you recommend?". The students weren't there to talk gun collection, they were there to gain close range worst case scenario survival skills. This was all about improving the physical skills not about what guns are cool. And that makes me smile.

Because no matter WHO you are it is not about what gun you own, it is not about what you USED to be able to do , it is all about what you can do RIGHT NOW against a non compliant opponent because when the flag drops the BS stops. You either have the skills to regain the initiative and succeed or you'll likely end up as a victim and maybe a statistic. Pretty guns don't save you when the BG keeps you from ever getting it out.

I REALLY enjoyed teaching this class and REALLY appreciate all the hard work the students put in out there in the heat.Especially the guy working through it all with a hand he'd badly burned on a 4 wheeler exhaust just days before class. He could have easily packed it in and just observed and no one would have thought badly of him for that.But he got in there and did all he was physically able to do which was about 90% of what we did. THAT is what it is about. Suck it up and fight thru because the bad guys are NOT going to take it easy on you. Excellent job guys!

Of course I felt like was back at home with 95 degree weather and Mid South like humidity...and I thought it was supposed to be cooler up North....

Hoping to see a few more reviews and maybe some pics from this class and I hope to see you all again when I return to Ohio the next time.
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 07-26-2011 at 11:26 AM.
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG, CO
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

I guess I will throw my $.02 in.

This class was a eye opener. It really pointed out the "you don't know' what you don't know" to me. I came away from the weekend with a great base of knowledge, and a path to improve my skills. I would highly encourage anyone who thinks they are "ready for the fight of their life" attend this class and see, just how well you are prepared. You can think to your self. " I'll just draw and shoot the BG" In reality, that doesn't always work.

Thanks again Randy

Thank you "Tard" .

Might you have some suggestions to folks about trying to make distance by backpeddling while under pressure????
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG, CO
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

that was a tough nut to crack. I found out real quick that you will end up on your back. I was in a open field, no curbs, not potholes, with plenty of room around me. I imagine in a real life situation with obstacles in your way you would end up on the ground way faster, and way more often. Trust me, you don't want to be on your back...

No matter how bad you think you are, you can get got! But, this class really gives some tools to apply a serious hurting to anyone who might try to hurt you and to mitigate multiple attackers. It is a great way to test what you know and add to it.

The repetition of drills allows you to get more comfortable in that 0-5 zone. I saw body language change over the weekend. People who were really antsy at the beginning of the weekend became more settled and ready to react by sunday.

Here are some photos. Sorry, my camera was on the fritz so quality and quantity are not what I would have liked.0-52.jpg
    0-53.jpg
    0-51.jpg
    www.ohioppt.com
    Twitter @Ohioppt

I want to thank Randy for putting on an awesome class and getting me back on track for shooting people in the face. Annnd for the new title, "does not play well with others."
    www.ohioppt.com
    Twitter @Ohioppt