Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    E-mail sent with additional information and a few reminders. See everyone on Saturday.
    "The will to win compares little with the will to prepare to win" - Lombardi

"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good" - Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

"I answer to a higher authority than the approval of men not worthy of my time" - Gabe Suarez

Train with Rick Klopp
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Bio

CRG-4: Force on Force Gunfighting - April 8-9, 2017 - Albermarle, NC

Additional classes including AK Rifle Gunfighting, Force on Force and Advanced Trauma Medicine coming soon.

We had a great day with Rick yesterday! I was disappointed in the turn out but then the individual attention from Rick made the training that much more personalized and rewarding.

I came to the class for 2 reasons:
    1) it had been about 6 months since we had done any serious training.
    2) I had developed an accuracy problem with my shooting and was becoming more and more frustrated with it.

Praise the Lord, both issues were resolved by the end of the day. Rick was the perfect instructor for me as we are both right handed and left eye dominant. A couple of suggestions about grip and canting the gun for my left eye along with changing the contact point of my finger on the trigger fixed the problem and I was very pleased with how much better I was shooting by the end of the day.

We worked primiarily on the pistol draw and short range point shooting. We had worked on the draw previously but had not worked on our speed at all. And while I had played around with point shooting at the range, I had not put the 2 together like Rick had us doing. Point shooting was all new to SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) as I had been unable to get her to try that at the range.

SWMBO also had a good day and proved once again that she is still a better shot than I am. It's just one of those things I have resigned myself to living with.

Big thanks to Mike & Dragoon01 for being great classmates, too. We enjoyed meeting both of you guys and look forward to training with you again in the near future.

Rick is thinking about setting up a 1 day defensive pistol class in November to get some new blood into the SI family in this area and then maybe trying another regional training in January. Make a smart decision and start planning on attending and getting active in the group. Saturday was probably the most fun I've had with a gun in a long time and what I learned made it a valuable day as well.

What most impressed me about Rick's training was that he not only made suggestions about different things we should do to protect ourselves and things we should be aware of, but he went into great depth to explain why his suggestions would work. He went into anatomy, kinesiology, thought process (yours and the Bad Guy's) and preparing potential witnesses prior to a self defense action.

THANK YOU, Rick, for sharing your knowledge ammo, mags and even your lunch. We both were disappointed that we couldn't stay and hang out for dinner with you, next time we're buying yours, for sure. We're already looking forward to the next opportunity to train with you.

Guys,
    You missed a gem of a class. Once again Rick made it clear why he is an incredible asset for those of us in Georgia. A great patient and concise instructor and a great guy to boot. Thanks Rick for agreeing to get this thing off the ground. I cant really add much to Logcabindawgs run down of the topics we covered but I can give my take aways from them. For me this was the first time out with a Zach holster and I was very pleased with how it functions and the confidence that I gained from using it. The drills we did beginning dry and working up the draw really built that up and by the end of the day I was clearing and driving to the target quickly. Rick even pulled out a shot timer and showed us the time difference in point shooting and sited fire. Focusing on the sites I was from draw to shot in 1.7 seconds point shooting I did it in 1.2. Thats the first time I have ever shot with a timer so it was intresting to see and a lesson in favor of PS.
    The last drill we ran had us engaging three targets while we moved with Rick calling out the target number to shoot. I really enjoyed this drill as I got a good look at shooting from different draw positions. Its one I will be working on with the airsoft in the back yard.

I very much enjoyed training with Mike and the Logcabindawgs. Once again thanks Rick and I cant wait until the next day out.
    NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
    NRA Basic Shotgun Instructor

+1 to logcabindawg and Dragoon01 comments. It was a beautiful day as well as a ton of fun. Rick was outstanding in his delivery and especially explaining the 'why' behind what he was saying. Don't miss out on the next one. It was a real pleasure meeting dragoon01, logcabindawg and swmbo. Shoot straight and stay safe.

Mike

Thanks guys for those words of encouragement. Every time I instruct, I'm also learning and this past Saturday was no exception. Reviewing the draw stroke helped to solidify the fundamentals in my mind too. Unlike the professional ball player, we may never have a chance to go "back to the basics." We need to train hard now so the fight will be easy. It was good to see some old friends and meet some new ones. I'll be putting a one-day SI defensive pistol class on the schedule soon so we can reach out to more students for the next regional training event. I'll keep everyone posted although we're looking at sometime in January. Thanks again.

"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good" - Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

"I answer to a higher authority than the approval of men not worthy of my time" - Gabe Suarez

Train with Rick Klopp

Bio

Additional classes including AK Rifle Gunfighting, Force on Force and Advanced Trauma Medicine coming soon.

Wanted to bump this back to the top to get the discussion going for our next day out.

Rick,
    After teh Force on Force class at WSC I came away with a lot of material to digest and work on. James is still healing up after that muscle pull and thats got a damper on us going full speed. We have been discussing things and working on normal practice routines. I did some thinking about working with more than one person and how I would move with my family or another VIP in tow.

Do you have material that covers this type of situation? We kind of touched on it in FoF but I would like to get a better understanding of the tactics for those types of situations. This is not to say I think our next day class should be all about this just throwing out an idea. I am not opposed to the idea of a FoF type day either to allow us more latitude for scenarios.
    Whats everybody else think?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon01 View Post
    Wanted to bump this back to the top to get the discussion going for our next day out.

Rick,
    After teh Force on Force class at WSC I came away with a lot of material to digest and work on. James is still healing up after that muscle pull and thats got a damper on us going full speed. We have been discussing things and working on normal practice routines. I did some thinking about working with more than one person and how I would move with my family or another VIP in tow.

Do you have material that covers this type of situation? We kind of touched on it in FoF but I would like to get a better understanding of the tactics for those types of situations. This is not to say I think our next day class should be all about this just throwing out an idea. I am not opposed to the idea of a FoF type day either to allow us more latitude for scenarios.
    Whats everybody else think?
    We can definitely look at that.

Train with Rick Klopp

Bio

Always interested. Maybe we could do a day here at Scott's range? What do you think?

Mike

Wanted to get the band back together for another show.
    Rick its up to your schedual of course but I would like to do something June timeframe.

I could make a Sunday work. Since we purchased the store we work on Saturdays. Keep us posted.

Mike