Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Diet

Default Diet

Hi all, I'm looking for advice on dieting from other WTers. I'm not overweight and I eat reasonably well, but I can use some improvement.
    When reading a nutrition and fitness book, I realized how little I knew about the subject of nutrition. I've always assumed that because I was eating a salad, the bacon bits and yummy Ranch dressing I slathered all over it meant I was eating lean and healthy :p
    I'm curious as to what diets have worked well and if anyone does the ratio thing (like 40% carbs, 20% protein, etc.) and if it actually works.
    What prompted this was my first night of heartburn/indigestion ever (I'm 35) a week ago. I wandered around after a huge din din of of spicy spanish sausage and stout beer and there was this burning sensation...

Any good book ideas will be appreciated.

After many years at this, here's how it summarizes for me:

1) "Eat so you defecate well." Crafty Dog
    Apart from the effort at humor, IMHO there is a lot of merit in looking at diet this way. If it doesn't come out OK or took too long to do so, then what went in needs some changes.

2) Notice how what you eat affects how you feel. If you tend to be sleepy after meals, then maybe your meal was too high glycemic. Is this regard I think the Zone diet's 40-30-30 has merit and follow it in a lazy way.

3) Think about what we ate when we were evolving. Were grains a big part of the mix? Not really.

4) Closely related to 3) is this: Eat real food. Was it hunted? Fished? Grow from mother earth (subject to caution here about grains)?

5) Where possible (and often it is not) eat live food, which retains its enzymes. Cooking foods kills their enzymes which means our bodies then have to produce them. For example with my eggs I'll have bananas instead of toast.

6) Stating the negatives: Avoid soda, sugar, flour, caffeine, processed foods, grease, bad fats (especially transfats!), foods dosed with hormones & anti-biotics.

FWIW. YMMV.
    Marc

The paleo diet is the best thing that I've found.

http://www.paleodiet.com/

Quote Originally Posted by todd_xxxx
    The paleo diet is the best thing that I've found.
    +1

And if you have a warrior dog, here's a great diet for canines: http://www.canismajor.com/dog/barf.html
    and
    http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html
    "Carry your m*****f****** gun every m*****f****** place you go. And carry extra ammo." - Gabe Suarez

"[I]t is a fact that the main issues of present-day politics are purely economic and cannot be understood without a grasp of economic theory. Only a man conversant with the main problems of economics is in a position to form an independent opinion on the problems involved. All the others are ...merely repeating what they have picked up by the way." - Ludwig von Mises, Bureaucracy

I had great success with South Beach. To summarize it:
    It's a hunter gatherer diet that's scratch cooked from whole foods.

The less processed food you eat the better, e.g. lots of high fiber food to make your body work for it. And it keeps your blood sugar from having wild swings that create those damned cravings.

I've learned that when I do endulge on an evening out I eat a large salid and try to keep the wait staff from taking it away from me so I can mix it in with my steak and other goodies. Again, mixing the fiber to make things slow down.
    Common sense in an uncommon virtue

It's about the SOFTWARE.......

The paleo diet and south beach diet already mentioned are some of the best in breed IMO. There was quite a thread about this a couple months back. It would be worth searching.

If you're not concerned about packing on max muscle the Warrior Diet works pretty well in my past experience.
    (if you google it you'll find the author's website I'm sure)

Try to eliminate or very nearly eliminate sugars and refined flour!

"Nothing tastes as good as being in great shape feels!" - somebody not me said that but I agree.

"With a heavy does of fear and violence, and a lot of money for projects, I think we can convince these people that we are here to help them" (Colonel Sassaman NYTimes 7 Dec 2003).

Quote Originally Posted by Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny
    6) Stating the negatives: Avoid...caffeine,...
    No caffeine?:(

Are there several questions involved here?
    A diet to prevent weight gain
    A diet to pack on muscle
    A diet for general health
    I have no idea, just asking? I cannot gain weight. I weigh now what I weighed 40 years ago, 5'8" 160-165, about 10-12% fat IRRC and below 95 cholestrol. I think I eat fairly well, others might not think so. A lot of chicken, some fish, rice, salad, some vegies, the only problem is the soda, sugar, caffine, 4-5 liters of Cherry Coke per day ( 40yr habit), the doc loves my triglicerides (sp). Other than that and smoking for 51 yrs I'm probably fairly healthy. Fortunately for me I'm at an age that I am not going to change.
    How much does motabolism, body chemistry, etc, enter into the diet question?
    "Many men are able, most aren't willing"
    J.B. Books

Guantes, I have come to value your posts! How can you continue smoking? We might lose you.

Take up tennis, (WITH A VENGEANCE!), -it is almost as good as burning powder, and find some other racketeer Berserkers who will help you stay the course.

When tennis is applied in the right proportion, with the multi hour frenzied attack on the backboard before you even think about an opponent, you will want to rip out your lungs, throw them down, and do the "hat dance" on them to make them stop burning and behave.

Then you will hate smokes with no urging from me!
    Bruce Hinton, Memb. #173

'They', the jihaddi, may wear headbands with badges of martyrdom, affiliation, dedication to death. Should 'they' come your way, so attired, do not wonder if 'trouble' is on the way. It, too, has already come.

Bonus section:
    S&W Mo19 on the prowl?

Agencyman,
    Thank you, I appreciate your concern. Old habits die hard. When I posted this I had just come back from hitting serves, its hard to get a midday partner. I have been playing tennis for years.

As an aside, when I was in the academy at 23 I had been smoking for 11 yrs and ran with the tack staff ( none of who smoked) at the front of the pack on the 5 mi runs. This pissed them off to no end, especially when I would light up as soon as we would get back from a run.
    Go figure.
    I do not advocate any of my behavior, just mention it as an oddity.
    "Many men are able, most aren't willing"
    J.B. Books