Default The Abraxas Suppressor On A TSD Combat Systems Glock

IMG_1402.jpg

After running the Trijicon RMR on my TSD Glock for...what has it been...a year and a half, I began to consider the various applications.

Most of the private citizen and police patrol community focuses (and rightly so) on the reactive/defensive use of the handgun. That is close and fast point shooting while moving stuff. But the "Complete Study Of The Pistol" involves looking at the other side of the weapon...the offensive side.

That side includes long range shooting, as well as covert and clandestine use for elimination of key targets. Yes Virginia, we are talking about sniping with the pistol at long range and close range target elimination.

The long range stuff seems to boggle the minds of many ostensibly skilled trainers, but its not a big deal for us. At recent classes we had the entire student body hitting on demand at 100 yards with their CCW guns. Recently SI Staffers Jon Payne and Ryan Acuff hit steel at 300 yards in front of an entire rifle class with their carry weapons. Amazing? Not really...just SI rediscovering the stuff that Askins and Keith knew so long ago.

The other side of the study required a suppressor. This was new to me, as my only experience with "cans" was back when we were running 11" Colt Commandos for entries.

I knew what I wanted. I wanted something as small as possible and light. We have all seen those huge sewer pipes filled with baffles hanging off the end of a Glock. That is NOT what I wanted. I also did not have a need to go through an entire bandoleer of 33 round happy sticks in somewaht silenced mode. I figured that if one had not solved the elimination issue with one magazine, the jig would be up. This has been corroborated by several current and former gents that were fond of visiting their adversaries in the slumbering hpours and sending them off, while their men slept around them.

After much discussion and research, I settled on the AWC Abraxas.

Here is the data from their site.

Titanium Abraxas 9mm SPECS OA Length 5.7 inDiameter 0.98 inWeight 3.3 ozConstruction Materials 100% Titanium AlloysStandard Mounting Systems 1/2 x 28; 13.5 x 1LHStandard Finish Matte Black; Matte Titanium

The ABRAXAS™ family of suppressors is the most successful military issue 9mm pistol suppressor ever. The AWC Titanium Abraxas™ was built under contract for the U.S. Army for use on the Glock 26 & Glock 19. The stainless steel version was contracted by the U.S. Air Force for issue to its special warfare operators, and the early Warp 6 Variant was specified for use with the U.S. Navy.

The AWC Titanium Abraxas™ suppressor was designed to meet specific requirements.
    • The suppressor should be compact and light weight
    • Dimensions should preferably be similar in bulk to the slide assembly of the pistol
    • The construction should be 100% corrosion resistant & nonmagnetic Titanium
    • No internal mesh packing or accuracy degrading wipes used
    • Sound reduction efficiency should be significantly better than the “Hush Puppy” type suppressor
    • Accuracy should be considerably better than the “wiped” Hush Puppy suppressor.
    The Titanium Abraxas exceeds all of these objectives. It is an exceedingly effective 9mm pistol suppressor in a package that is smaller than most conventional .22 caliber devices. The Titanium Abraxas™ is highly compatible with the Beretta M9/92FS, Taurus PT92, complete family of Glock & Sig pistols, as well as other select 9mm pistols.

The AWC Titanium Abraxas™ has a significant reduction in weight compared to the stainless steel version. The majority of silencer manufactures sacrifice longevity by using Aluminum and deem that as adequate. But then, they do not service the same clientele as AWC.

Properly machined replacement threaded match grade suppressor tuned stainless steel barrels are available for Browning, Colt, CZ, Glock, HK, Para Ordnance, S&W Military & Police, SIG, Springfield Armory XD and Walther P99 directly from AWC or authorized AWC dealers.

So I have run maybe 500 rounds through this little quiet beast and here are my findings.

1). Shooting steel at 100 yards with a suppressed TSD Combat Systems Glock is very cool. You cannot miss and you do not make a discernible sound for about the first ten rounds.

2). Subsonic ammo, like that sold by Corbon, is super accurate and with teh Braxas, silent as a two hands clapping. Almost undiscrenible by the target.

3). Low powered training ammo, like the cheap stuff you buy to run 500 rounds in a class, will give frequent malfunctions. Not the case with carry ammo.

I must say that I and the staff are very happy with the Abraxas. You can carry it in a pouch designed for an ASP baton. It is considerably smaller and lighter than the other suppressors we have worked with, and although it is a wet suppressor requiring filling with grease every magazine or so, it does the job that tactically would be required from such an implement.

Nice Job AWC!!!

AWC Abraxas
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Cool stuff bro, and I am extremly jelous. It taking preemptive strike to a whole new level.

How much grease do you use per application and how do you apply it?
    Paul

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.

Just curious, Any modification to your grip required or does gripping the suppressor with a gloved hand provide any aid in sighting ?

Grip the pistol like you normally would.

As far as the amount of "wet" medium, 5cc's is sufficient. That equals the cap on a bottle of water. Lightweight grease will stick around longer than water giving you longer-term reduction of sound.
    AKA: infidelprodigy

A bullet in the head is a bullet in the head.....

How do you apply the grease?
    What do you grease?
    Paul

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.

Quote Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
    How do you apply the grease?
    What do you grease?
    With a syringe, through the rear of the suppressor. Your putting coolant into the baffles; see the ideal gas law to see how pressure (noise) varies. If you click the link, you'll see more detail from the company.

Unrelated, you have mail.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle