Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Western AR
    Posts
    805

    Default Heel spurs....from "overtraining"?

    When I told the podiatrist I was training 3 days a week in karate and running on off-days, he said the cause of my heel spurs (tendons in the bottom of the feet pulling away and damaging the bone they are anchored to) was "doing too much".

    I have never been accused of that, at least as it relates to physical exercise. I will admit that I was probably doing some things in the wrong ways, i.e. doing both my in-class and at-home karate workouts in bare feet and running with awful form. After 6 weeks I still have not fully recovered. While training-at least as it relates to kicking, kata, and running has ground to a halt per Dr.'s orders- I can still ride a bike, do push-ups, etc. I'm still a little bummed, since I know my skills are slipping along with my fitness level.

    Has anyone here ever had this particular malady? How did you recover, and keep it from recurring? Thanks much.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    808
    Are you flat footed? That's what caused my plantar fasciitis ( which is a fancy name for tendonitis along the bottom of the foot running up to damn near the knee..... ). Turns out I was running in high quality shoes, just the wrong type for my huge flat feet. Ducks come up to me and say " you got some flat ass feet dude ". Running in low quality shoes or shoes not meant for your foot/ankle could be the problem. You need a stability or motion control shoe I'm guessing. Check out www.roadrunnersports.com and use the 'shoe dog' to select the proper shoe for you. I did and it's made all the difference. It's still flares up now and then but I can live with that and even run through it without any problem.

    good luck

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,323
    I have never been accused of exercising too much. However, I have heel spurs. I don't think you lose them unless you have surgery. I saw Xray and my heel looked like a hook for a planter. I wear a 3/4 length spenco orthotic. It did the trick without modification for a number of years. Then doc glued some cork on bottom to brace up a bit and that is still working fine. Orthotic does not cure heel spur, but rather keeps foot flat so tissue does not stick to spur. Doctor can explain it better.

    Link to picture and source of Spenco Orthotic. I use short one in picture.

    http://www.take-care.com/foot/spencoorth.html
    Last edited by jack76590; 07-18-2005 at 12:25 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Western AR
    Posts
    805
    The podiatrist scanned my feet for orthotics last time I was in.
    I wasn't given the option of a non-custom model, I didn't even know they existed. The ones they ordered for me are pretty pricey. Since I already put the deposit down, I sure hope they work. I'm off to shoedog to check them out. i am willing to jump thru just about any hoop to keep these things from getting this bad again, it's put a serious crimp in my training when I was making good progress.

    Thanks, guys, I'll be back on this evening.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    202 Metro
    Posts
    24,089
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemeanie
    The podiatrist scanned my feet for orthotics last time I was in.
    I wasn't given the option of a non-custom model, I didn't even know they existed. The ones they ordered for me are pretty pricey. Since I already put the deposit down, I sure hope they work. I'm off to shoedog to check them out. i am willing to jump thru just about any hoop to keep these things from getting this bad again, it's put a serious crimp in my training when I was making good progress.

    Thanks, guys, I'll be back on this evening.
    I have a pair of custom inserts. $300. Thank God for Blue Cross...$45 when all said and done.
    Last edited by Cold War Scout; 07-18-2005 at 04:59 PM.
    “This is a war and we are soldiers. Death can come for us at anytime, and in anyplace.” - Morpheus

    "There are no silver medals on the world's mean streets." - CWS

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold War Scout
    I have a pair of custom inserts. $300. Thank God for Blue Croos...$45 when all said and done.
    Glad to hear Blue Cross covers. When I thought I might have to go to custom pair I called and they gave me run around. I gather some code/reason will trip their hot button but they will not tell you.

    With off the rack spenco I had to get shoes one size wider. Were you able to keep your regular shoe size or did you have to get bigger size when used custom insert? Thanks for info.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    202 Metro
    Posts
    24,089
    Quote Originally Posted by jack76590
    Glad to hear Blue Cross covers. When I thought I might have to go to custom pair I called and they gave me run around. I gather some code/reason will trip their hot button but they will not tell you.

    With off the rack spenco I had to get shoes one size wider. Were you able to keep your regular shoe size or did you have to get bigger size when used custom insert? Thanks for info.
    The only shoes I had when I got the inserts that did not fit right were some wingtips I had for work. They were just a little too tight. Other than that the inserts seem to fit in everything just fine. When I first started wearing them my feet and shins hurt...I swear from the new angulation. But now a year later if I do not have them in I can feel a gap between my arch area and the shoe/sneaker.

    All Blue Cross coverage is not the same though. One good benefit from 25 years service.
    “This is a war and we are soldiers. Death can come for us at anytime, and in anyplace.” - Morpheus

    "There are no silver medals on the world's mean streets." - CWS

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Not of this world
    Posts
    17,703
    Most of us have to work around limitations, especially as we age. Adjust your training to incorporate more interval training and more high-intensity training, and your fitness level should actually improve. Look at www.crossfit.com for exercises and intervals you can do.
    **Mike Ronin on FaceBook**

    **Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

    **Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Western AR
    Posts
    805
    Quote Originally Posted by jack76590
    Glad to hear Blue Cross covers. When I thought I might have to go to custom pair I called and they gave me run around. I gather some code/reason will trip their hot button but they will not tell you.

    With off the rack spenco I had to get shoes one size wider. Were you able to keep your regular shoe size or did you have to get bigger size when used custom insert? Thanks for info.
    I'm in the process of trying to find out if my insurance will cover mine. I'll let you know, but I do know all blue cross is not created equal.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Western AR
    Posts
    805
    Quote Originally Posted by michael
    Most of us have to work around limitations, especially as we age. Adjust your training to incorporate more interval training and more high-intensity training, and your fitness level should actually improve. Look at www.crossfit.com for exercises and intervals you can do.
    I took the Dr. a little too literally when he said "be lazy for awhile" ;) . I'm now getting back to doing what I can do while the hooves are being treated. Had a great bike ride yesterday.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •