Thread: p 35 slide swap

Default p 35 slide swap

i have a pre war p35 in 9mm. it has seen alot of use, and has some pitting on the slide and frame. the barrel is so bad i won't shoot it. in fact, when i carry/use it i use it with one of the argentine detective kits. in this configuration it is very reliable and works good when attached to the stock.

becuase i get .40 issued to me, i'd like to convert it. my question is to convert to .40 s&w i need to change the slide, barrel, ejecter, and mags. what else?

Not to rain on your parade if you're dead-set on this but there will be some challenges and I'm not certain that the conversion is worth it from an economical or practical sense. Sounds like you have a good shooting 9mm so no sense ruining it even if you get cheap or free ammo. If you want to do it just for fun or because you can, open your wallet and go for it

The frames might be the same dimensions but a Barsto barrel will run $200+ (double that for a factory 40 barrel) and I have no idea where to even begin looking for a 40 slide. I think you will find that assembling the necessary parts (don't forget the $200 .40 slide stop) and the cost of fitting the barrel to the slide to the frame will quickly add up to more than just buying a new 40 Hipower. Not to mention that some pre-War HP had very soft steel and I think the higher pressure 40 would batter such a frame in short order.

If you do manage to make this work, be sure to brag and post pictures. I'd love to see it.

hadn't thought of the softer metal. i'll have to do some research on that. the the reason to convert over just buying a pistol in .40 is the slot for the stock.

Seriously?

No, don't bother.

Keep it 9mm. - Your surplus up there is cheap, and 9mm premium self defense ammo just loses so little to .40, I really can't see the reason to do this?

Just my 0.02 cents.

Regards,
    Anthony.
    If you have to fight, do not fear death.
    We will all die one day, so fight skillfully and bravely!
    And if it is to be that you die, then at least go to God proudly.
    Meet him as the proud warrior that you once were, and not as a sniveling coward.
    Nobody lives forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Seriously?

No, don't bother.

Keep it 9mm. - Your surplus up there is cheap, and 9mm premium self defense ammo just loses so little to .40, I really can't see the reason to do this?

Just my 0.02 cents.

Regards,
    Anthony.
    I agree, and it makes more sense and is probably cheaper to buy a new/er .40 BHP if you absolutely HAVE TO HAVE one.

Nobody Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by P.D. View Post
    I agree, and it makes more sense and is probably cheaper to buy a new/er .40 BHP if you absolutely HAVE TO HAVE one.
    Agreed. You won't make any significant gains going to the .40 S&W.

By the way, the Browning web site doesn't even list the .40 Hi Power anymore, so a new pistol may not even be an option. Your choices may now be a conversion or a used pistol.