Default Active Retention vs "passive" Retention holster for War Belt

I am trying to decide on a holster for a Glock 17 I will be purchasing shortly. I have read somewhere that Gabe does not like retention holsters and I was wondering what general opinions on the matter are. This is for a woodland open carry/War Belt/First Line pistol belt. I was initially going to use it for competition, but it since this does not connect to the pants belt (goes over BDUs usually) I am not making that a priority. Here are the 2 holsters I am looking at:
    http://www.blade-tech.com/RH-WRS-DUT...K-pr-1056.html
    I would probably take it off the drop/offset mount since the belt rides low enough already.
    or:
    http://www.blade-tech.com/Belt-Holst...OK-pr-910.html

Anybody have an opinion on active retention vs passive retention for War Belt holsters or any experience with either holster in particular?
    "I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting."

"Our image is of an unshaven outlaw infidel in sweaty camos, with a Kalashnikov rifle on his shoulder and a Glock stuck in his pants, teaching civilians how to do nasty things without asking for fingerprints, who obeys man's law only out of convenience, prizes freedom over order, and swings kettlebells for relaxation." -Gabe Suarez

Ryan Acuff Guest
    If wearing outside the waistband like you would with a MOLLE belt rig, you actually want retention. Not much point with concealed carry though.

You can get either a thigh rig or a holster that is dropped and offset. Like a cop's duty holster. You want one or the other if you ever run a chest rig, plate carrier, wet/cold weather gear and want to still have safe access to your pistol.

Safariland and Blade-Tech both have versions of their tactical holsters like that.

I think I found a good one while shooting IPSC this past weekend. It's one of the cheap Blade-Tech injection molded holsters but it fit very well. Easy draw, and can be tightened down for more retention if necessary. It has a little catch inside that locks on to the slide serrations of a Glock 17, so it is pretty secure, but also very fast to draw.
    "I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting."

"Our image is of an unshaven outlaw infidel in sweaty camos, with a Kalashnikov rifle on his shoulder and a Glock stuck in his pants, teaching civilians how to do nasty things without asking for fingerprints, who obeys man's law only out of convenience, prizes freedom over order, and swings kettlebells for relaxation." -Gabe Suarez