Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have shot over 2500 rounds through XDm 9mm and XDm 40 and have had ZERO failures of any kind. NADA, ZILCH ! ! !

Every manufacturer has had a lemon at one time or another. Just because someone may have failed to properly clean his pistol and the gun failed to fire is no reason for me to discount a particular make or model. I've seen accounts where Glocks also failed for one reason or another. Doesn't mean that all Glocks are lemons, just like not all XD's or XDm's are lemons. In fact both manufacturers make EXCELLENT pistols.

As for XD reliability, here is a torture test of a Springfield XD tested by a strong Glock fan. You can draw your own conclusion.
    http://springfield-armory.primediaou.../SPstory11.php
    - Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it comes to dominate our lives and interests."
    - Patrick Henry

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Yesterday we bought the XO a XD-Subcompact.
    She's thrilled and I'm happy for her.
    If I didn't have ultimate faith that it wouldn't go bang,
    I wouldn't have purchased it.
    The trouble with fighting oppression is that most of one's time is spent defending the scoundrels for whom oppressive laws are first aimed. To win this fight, oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. H.L. Mencken

Here is another XD torture test . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M36x4qh7tsc

Actual Lab tests start at 4:00
    Last edited by RayMich; 03-15-2011 at 09:37 PM.
    - Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it comes to dominate our lives and interests."
    - Patrick Henry

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson

I spend a lot of time on an XD forum (I have an XD45 and XDm45), and other than the previously mentioned design flaw of the XD45 addressed with the XDm45, I have not read of any systemic issues with the XD. Like any pistol mass-produced today, you will encounter lemons, and I have read of failures with XDs, 1911s, you-name-it, and even Glocks, with individual pistols.

There are few pistols I am comfortable with for carry reliability and that is the 1911, XDm, XD excluding the 45, and probably the Glock though I do not currently own one.

CX

I've never had either of my XDM's fail whatsoever. Not so much as a single stovepipe after 2.5 years so far, and a couple classes and regular range trips. I very much trust them as my "go-to" pistols. They're very durable and still look like new after hitting gravel, dirt and sand multiple times. I'd say they're "on par" with Glocks which are considered the standard to be measured by regarding reliability in an automatic pistol.

Decide to go with a XDm in 9mm... Probably get a Glock somewhere down the road as well. Thanks to all for their input!

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus76 View Post
    Decide to go with a XDm in 9mm... Probably get a Glock somewhere down the road as well. Thanks to all for their input!
    Excellent choice. You won't regret it!

Which one did you get?
    - Ray -

- Patrick Henry

The bi-tone pictured in your avatar... No real reason other the I find it the most aesthetically pleasing. Sadly tho, that means I have to wait to have it ordered in.

Welcome to the Croatian Brotherhood!
    Joel F.
    Soo Foo, SoDak

"I've…seen things you people wouldn't believe…Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those…moments…will be lost in time, like...tears…in…rain…"

I'm not quite sure what that means (I assume it has something to do with the XD/XDm being a Croatian design) but thanks...