Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by YARP View Post
    To each his own! I have mine reduced so I can't really tell the difference, even before I had it reduced the "collateral impact" that you speak of didn't affect me like it does some, then again I don't have super small hands. I like 10mm with an RMR because the long distance with a pistol becomes a breeze.

I get what your saying though.
    Yup, I have a G30, so a G29 would seem a natural alternative, but not for everyone:
    - Size in the hand
    - Size in the holster
    - Cost of Ammo'
    - Implications if you load your own ammo'
    - Implications if for whatever reason lead ammo' is desirable to you

Best,

Nick
    In order for the underprivileged and inept to feel adequate, the skilled and capable must be made stupid by decree.

- Gabe Suarez, 12/13/2011

“If a broad ban on firearms can be upheld based on conjecture that the public might feel safer (while being no safer at all), then the Second Amendment guarantees nothing.”

- Justice Clarence Thomas

If you were considering the 1911, you also might wanna consider the FNH FNP-9 or 40. It has the SA/DA of the 1911 that you might want without the price point. I personally love my Glock 19. With the new Gen. 4 Glocks coming out, the ability the get the proper grip is a nice feature and with so many parts, you can tune a Glock to your preference. The S&W and XD(m) are nice, but have less custom options in the aftermarket.
    "Our cause is just; being with one mind resolved to die freemen rather than live slaves." - Thomas Jefferson

" Training should be like a bloodless battle, so that battle is like bloody training." TigerSwan

i sot the G21 and the M&P 45 back to back. the grip suited me better on the M&P. i shot better with it. the M&P grip feels slightly slimmer in girth and comes with additional backstraps. love it. 350 rounds so far and i can't complain.

Decide to go with a XDm in 9mm... Probably get a Glock somewhere down the road as well. Thanks to all for their input!

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus76 View Post
    Decide to go with a XDm in 9mm... Probably get a Glock somewhere down the road as well. Thanks to all for their input!
    Which one did you get?

4.5 or 3.8 full size, or 3.8 compact.

I'm hoping to get the 3.8 compact to go along with the full size.
    - Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it comes to dominate our lives and interests."
    - Patrick Henry

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Since I got my 3.8 Compact my 4.5 has sat in the gun safe. Sometimes, at night, I think I can hear the 4.5 sobbing softly.
    Joel F.
    Soo Foo, SoDak

"I've…seen things you people wouldn't believe…Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those…moments…will be lost in time, like...tears…in…rain…"

Quote Originally Posted by RayMich View Post
    Which one did you get?

4.5 or 3.8 full size, or 3.8 compact.

I'm hoping to get the 3.8 compact to go along with the full size.
    I went with the 4.5...

Congrats.
    You will find it to be a very dependable gun.

That being said, I'm considering dumping mine and getting a regular XD for continuity with the XO's choice. And her trigger is way better than my XDm...go figure.
    The trouble with fighting oppression is that most of one's time is spent defending the scoundrels for whom oppressive laws are first aimed. To win this fight, oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. H.L. Mencken

I own an XD in .45ACP and have shot an M&P .45ACP.
    I loke both guns and almost bought an M&P but chise the XD.
    It feels better, more accurate,(both for me anyway) and holds more rounds than the M&P.
    Montani Semper Liberi
    "Mountaineers Always Free"

"Now, let me explain this to you. We are not afraid of you or any of your
    terrorist co-conspirators, Mr. Reid. We are Americans. We have been through
    the fire before."
    Judge William Young, US District Court to the Shoe Bomber

I like the XD platforms because they mimic the 1911 grip angle the best and fit my hand well. However, as mentioned above, shoot all of them and then choose what fits you the best. As to caliber, that too is a personal choice as to what you are comfortable with and cost.