Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Affordable Rimfire J-Frame?

Considering something for simple/affordable/reliable practice.

Not thinking about it for "go to", or even BUG.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Nick
    In order for the underprivileged and inept to feel adequate, the skilled and capable must be made stupid by decree.

- Gabe Suarez, 12/13/2011

“If a broad ban on firearms can be upheld based on conjecture that the public might feel safer (while being no safer at all), then the Second Amendment guarantees nothing.”

- Justice Clarence Thomas

Uli Gebhard Guest
    I have a Taurus 94 w/ 4" barrel that I'm pretty happy with. Nothing spectacular, just a decently accurate fun plinker....

Here is one I'd love to have for training, but it ain't cheap.

S&W Model 43 C (.22 LR holds 8 rounds - Size and weight very similar to their 340PD)
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y
    - Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it comes to dominate our lives and interests."
    - Patrick Henry

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson

I have some of the S&W rimfire J-frames, but they are a bit spendy IMO. They work great though. I'd give the Taurus offerings a look, the ones I've seen seemed decent.
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Uli Gebhard View Post
    I have a Taurus 94 w/ 4" barrel that I'm pretty happy with. Nothing spectacular, just a decently accurate fun plinker....
    Thanks,

That's what I'm after (decent fun plinker)...anything special about a rimfire wheel gun that I should know? I've been pretty much centerfire focused (with just a few exceptions)...never owned a rimfire revolver.

Thanks again,

Nick
    ETA - 9-shots, very cool...
    Last edited by SigPro09; 03-09-2011 at 03:01 PM.
    In order for the underprivileged and inept to feel adequate, the skilled and capable must be made stupid by decree.

“If a broad ban on firearms can be upheld based on conjecture that the public might feel safer (while being no safer at all), then the Second Amendment guarantees nothing.”

Can have a heavy trigger pull, even for a J frame, so I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by SigPro09 View Post
    anything special about a rimfire wheel gun that I should know? I've been pretty much centerfire focused (with just a few exceptions)...never owned a rimfire revolver.

Thanks again,

Nick
    ETA - 9-shots, very cool...
    Yeah, rimfire revolvers are insensitive to ammo, you can buy the cheapest stuff you can find. Other than that, the Taurus is a great little gun. It takes about 3,000 rounds to get the trigger smoothed out and that lightens the feel.

Picked up a used Charter Arm 22 LR snub for less than $200. It has an aluminum grip frame with a stainless barrel and cylinder. It is certainly not as nice as a S&W Model 63, but for fun plinking and low cost snub practice it is pretty cool.

As for .22 revolvers, I only have a S&W 317 kit (3" barrel). I like it alot. It is very light and easily carried. However, it is quite spendy. After a couple of hundred rounds you will need to brush off unburnt powder since it will start mucking up the cylinder rotation.

If you aren't stuck on getting a revolver I would really recommend you think about a Ruger MKIII. I have a couple of older MKII's and love them. The Ruger's are easier to shoot (fast), are utterly reliable, and are much less expensive then the S&W. However, they are much heavier than the 317. Unless you are set on a revolver, I would recommend the MKIII first. Both will last a lifetime, but I have had more fun with the auto.

Quote Originally Posted by labman10001 View Post
    As for .22 revolvers, I only have a S&W 317 kit (3" barrel). I like it alot. It is very light and easily carried. However, it is quite spendy. After a couple of hundred rounds you will need to brush off unburnt powder since it will start mucking up the cylinder rotation.

If you aren't stuck on getting a revolver I would really recommend you think about a Ruger MKIII. I have a couple of older MKII's and love them. The Ruger's are easier to shoot (fast), are utterly reliable, and are much less expensive then the S&W. However, they are much heavier than the 317. Unless you are set on a revolver, I would recommend the MKIII first. Both will last a lifetime, but I have had more fun with the auto.
    I have a little Beretta that covers the semi-auto slot for rimfire for my needs, but I'm looking for a revolver to go with it for recreational/familiarization use. The Taurus sounds like an interesting choice. I'll have to keep my eye out for one.

Thanks to all,

Nick