Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Grey Man Guest

Default Mossberg 590 VS Mossberg 930

The models I'm looking at are both 18.5 inch bbl with bead sight

I've ran both pumps and autos. . .I'm smoking fast with an auto and respectable with a pump (mostly lack of training)

Basically I like that the 590 will run pretty much no matter what I do to it . . . its very AKish.

BUT the 930 seems pretty reliable, from what I've read alot of people really like theirs.

Help a brother out.

I like semi's. You just pull the trigger. I havnt heard any bad things about the 930 and that is usually good. I have an older jungle gun and its my favorite shotgun and its semi.

You'll find Remington autos more supportable in terms of repair, parts and extras.

You know how everything's made for the 870, but you can still find Mossberg stuff if you look? Five times worse when you start looking at the semi-auto stuff.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

BUT the 930 seems pretty reliable, from what I've read alot of people really like theirs.
    If saigas were off the table I'd run the 930 HS model. First semi I ever liked, and the SPX version is a very good deal if you are into those doo dads, half the price of a Benelli or FN but just as reliable and fast cycling. Plus the tang safety and a buttpad I like very much

Basically I like that the 590 will run pretty much no matter what I do to it . . . its very AKish
    CCF08152009_00003.jpg
    21st century trench gun
    Lone Wolf NPE-G

The thing I like about the 590A1 is it will fire and eject an amazing variety of shells, anything from low-recoil 2.75" shot loads to heavy 3" magnums with 1 and 3/8th ounce Brenneke slugs.

Semiautos are just not as forgiving. I know you can buy and carry just what works in your shotgun, but you can't just pick up anything in stock wherever you happen to be, either.
    Gary
    The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Given the arenas of combat where shotguns rule, there is a lot to be said for one that can fire multiple shots one handed, and the newer designs will cycle fighting loads from any postion.
    Low cap weapons, you'll be going to a pistol soon anyway* if it drags out- empty or malfunction. Or if not, running the bolt, a movement similar to racking a pump action (for each shot) just might clear it.
    but you can't just pick up anything in stock wherever you happen to be, either.
    well if all you can get in those circumstances is some low brass dove load, I wouldnt say it's suitable fighting ammo for a pump either. For the most part, if it's for people, todays auto will gobble it up. Don't get me wrong, from a survival standpoint could be an issue. And personall prefer to stick to common and widely available defensive ammo. But there are lot of people that go around with 10mm's, .327 Fed, 6.8 SPC, you name it. Keep stocked up if that is a worry.

I understand everything you are saying and firmly believed it till recently. Actually is was a 930 combo with the 18.5 bead barrel that converted me. We were using whatever's cheap (and puny) from Federal IIRC, low brass 7.5. ran like an AK. Autos today are a breed apart from days past. They will nevr be as reliable inherently as a manual repeater. JMO pros outweigh the cons

* till opportunity, if any for a Saiga mag change. I never have done that cowboy action style MT "load one.." technique. NY Reload the shotgun. It's for pistol distance. Good while it lasts and it probably will, if not and it runs dry or clogs, toss over your back, drop, whatever but fight on with something fresh until you can fill up the old street cannon(though keep going FTW with pistol). Just my thoughts. 5 (to 9 +) rounds of buckshot is not adequate? You got Clint Smith telling people to purchase N-frame Smiths and SxSs as serious and practical defensive weapons in 2011. And as for slug transitions with that same method out the sidesaddle, I think it is a tactical mountain of a molehill than something to devote too much valuable training time to. Certainly with the increase in popularity of the RMR and interest in long range pistol. I did however train occasionally the S-12 slug mag rapid reload. And my own KISS way with 3 or so slugs in a bbl./mag tube. In my mind, it would more likely be for vehicle punching than a guy escaping the short reach of buck. Completely off topic, I know.
    Lone Wolf NPE-G

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Man View Post
    The models I'm looking at are both 18.5 inch bbl with bead sight

I've ran both pumps and autos. . .I'm smoking fast with an auto and respectable with a pump (mostly lack of training)

Basically I like that the 590 will run pretty much no matter what I do to it . . . its very AKish.

Help a brother out.
    I'm a big fan of the 590. Not so much the 930. I've never seen one run right. My training partner bought one a couple years back that he had to return. I've read internet reports that the 930 issues may have been resolved, but I've not seen one in person.

For semi's, I've seen 1100's and 1187's run well, the Benelli's (which I had one I wish I had kept) and the Beretta "cousins", the 1200FP or 1201FP. I really liked the 1201FP because of the light weight.

After coming to WT, the role of the SG has been somewhat reduced in my philosophy so I've paired down to 590 & 870 (as well as a Benelli Nova because I like the sights on it and it's very compact).

YMMV.

Best,

Nick
    In order for the underprivileged and inept to feel adequate, the skilled and capable must be made stupid by decree.

- Gabe Suarez, 12/13/2011

“If a broad ban on firearms can be upheld based on conjecture that the public might feel safer (while being no safer at all), then the Second Amendment guarantees nothing.”

- Justice Clarence Thomas

The 590 is a nice shotgun but so is the 930. The saiga is a beast. I own a saiga 12 and the 930spx. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I think steppe sweeper covered a bunch of the really good points. Modern autos are very reliable. Working the bolt to clear malfuncations like a rifle/ak is a crossover skill. "Picking up any ammo" outside of cost, battlefield pickup would only include buckshot and slug, not dove shot. Single handed repeat shots with an auto is possible, wounded, carrying a kid, whatever. Run it dry either retreat or transfer to a pistol.
    I would also like to add two points to his really good response
    -autos are easier for smaller lighter folks (spouses) to run as effectively as possible. While not always true most don't practice like the family warrior or protector does/should and I've seen the auto help them out tremendously.
    -appearances of equipment can implant intentions to a jury. Say you waxed a couple home invaders. Your sued arrested whatever. They show the jury your machine gun converted to a machine gun shotgun to the jury.... Well this sucks. The 930/590 looks like what the vast majority of jurors see the good guys using on tv. The saiga looks like what we see on the evening news whenever terrorists or madmen are mentioned. Not that it is a deal breaker but something to think about.

I say go 930 over the 590. Yes pumps generally have more options but, a sling and light mount is readily available and that is all you need to get most jobs done with a civilian shotgun. 6-9 shots out of a 930 series and 20-34 out of my G17 sure beats a j-frame and sxs....
    Last edited by egalloway; 02-24-2011 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Spelling
    And whatever you do, whether in word or deed do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17
    -SI classes: CRG, Defensive pistol, PSP, Rifle, Advanced Rifle, Shotgun, FOF, Vehicle gunfighting
    -Certified Glock, Sig, FN, Xd/XDM AR/Ak, CZ

-Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez
    And alcohol is just to get you drunk
    women are just to relieve the pressure
    and food is just to kill the hunger.....
    Hardly the sort of life I care to live.

Grey Man Guest
    *sigh* oh the decisions to make . ..

I run a 930 HD for home defense. It will fire 2.75" low recoil buckshot[Win Ranger] and slugs all day long. I added a Big Dot tritium bead front sight and a Brownell's oversized steel safety lever is all. I am very happy with it. Debating adding a TLR-1 to it.