Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Skeleton In The Closet Guest

Default Taurus 24/7 OSS .45ACP problems...

after reading several dozen excellent reviews of this pistol, i decided on it as my ccw weapon. however, after the purchase, i was disappointed in that i have had several failures to feed in the first hundred rounds. perhaps i just need to break it in. in your honest opinion, is this weapon as capable as a GLOCK or XD or have i wasted my money?

I have a Taurus 24x7 Pro .40 cal. I've had a handful of failures to eject (mostly caused by bad technique I think) but only one or two FTFs. I've shot over 1000 rounds through it. I'd say give it a try a couple of more times, make sure you're not limp-wristing. If you still have problems, the follow the advice above.

BTW I plan to purchase a Glock as my next pistol. The guys here on Warrior Talk love them and that's better than any gun magazine review.
    American Infidel since 9/11/2001

Classes taken: DPS, KRG, CRG, VGF, TASI

Skeleton In The Closet Guest
    thanks guys. i guess i will keep trying. i have been a rifle guy since i was a kid but now that im 21 the whole pistol world just opened up. still new to the game but learning.

I own an OSS 24/7 in 45 ACP with 2000 rounds so far and no failures of any sort. I do not use it as a CCW as I own a glock for that. But given the current track record of the pistol right now I would not be afraid of it. I just have had NO luck finding magazines. I was told that the mags are the same as a para ordnance P13.
    Freedom. And Justice. If you have those two, it covers everything. You must stick to those principles and have the courage of your convictions. - Ian Smith.

Buy a Glock

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Buy a Glock
    A man of few words! Well stated. I have not seen you posting recently on WT. I miss the pics of your hound and FAL.
    "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline."
    II Timothy 1:7

I had a Taurus 24/7 OSS in 9mm for a short while. I thought it was an extraordinarily comfortable gun to shoot, but I had numerous functional problems with. I put just over 300 rounds through the gun before I decided to dedicate my range time to Glocks, so I traded it for another G17. By the time I traded/sold the gun, the failure rate had dropped dramatically compared to the first 50 rounds. Malfunctions included failure to eject, failure to fire, and failure of the trigger to reset to single action. The problems did not seem to be ammo specific as I was shooting the same ammo through my Browning and Glock and had no problems. My suggestion is to clean the pistol as thoroughly as you possibly can. Taurus puts a lot of grease on their guns when they leave the factory. I gave my pistol a quick wipe down before shooting it the first time, but you need to break out the Q-tips and perform a detailed cleaning. Do this after the next two or three practice sessions, and I bet the kinks will be worked out. I posted my problem on a Taurus forum and this was the most common recommendation. It seemed to work. I think the last 80 rounds I put through the gun were without any malfunctions, but I'd want to put at least three times that many through without a problem before I carried it. Good luck.
    "Consequence outweighs probability." - Blaise Pascal

The only Taurus guns that are worth a flick is the PT92/99 Series they have out. Some say a clone I say its like a Chevy and GMC........ same thing just different badges. The PTs are made on Beretta machines just the safety is different.

The Sig like Taurus guns as I explain to Dad aren't worth your time for a SD weapon. If your just flipping a cheap gun for a profit, I guess they are ok for that and range use.
    When gunslingers come to town, sai, things get broken. It's a simple fact of life.

Quote Originally Posted by taurus_dude View Post
    I have a Taurus 24x7 Pro .40 cal. I've had a handful of failures to eject (mostly caused by bad technique I think) but only one or two FTFs. I've shot over 1000 rounds through it. I'd say give it a try a couple of more times, make sure you're not limp-wristing. If you still have problems, the follow the advice above.

BTW I plan to purchase a Glock as my next pistol. The guys here on Warrior Talk love them and that's better than any gun magazine review.
    "Limp wristing" is a bullshit excuse brought about by 1911 fanboys to explain why their expensive, outdated museum pieces don't function as well as a $500 Glock. If you pistol "limp wrists," it IS NOT ACCEPTABLE for carry and home defense. This is a forum that pushes (rightfully so) one handed/weak handed shooting. Now imagine how well a pistol that won't run with TWO hands on it will do with one hand holding it.

Sell the Taurus. Buy a Glock 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    If you pistol "limp wrists," it IS NOT ACCEPTABLE for carry and home defense. This is a forum that pushes (rightfully so) one handed/weak handed shooting. Now imagine how well a pistol that won't run with TWO hands on it will do with one hand holding it.
    Good point! Thanks for the insight.
    American Infidel since 9/11/2001

Classes taken: DPS, KRG, CRG, VGF, TASI