SI 2014 Training
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: New Walther PPQ

Swoble Guest
    ALS is the Safariland thumb-button which moves a plastic retainer which clicks into the ejection port. It's only a Level 1/2 if you count the normal tension screw. SLS has the U-shaped hood which you depress with your thumb and rotate forward. They have some Level 3+ holsters which combine both I believe.

The SLS is a bit more secure I think for duty use. It's harder for a perp to grab the hood, push it down, and rotate it forward --- whereas the ALS is just a button to depress while pulling.

The Blade-Tech WRS system is tits. I ran it for about two years in the patrol when they let us use qualified holsters. The WRS is a metal U-shaped hood, much like the SLS. However, with the WRS, the hood is spring-mounted. You hit the lever inward toward your body (same exact muscle memory as the SLS, with much less movement) and the hood automatically shoots forward, allowing a draw. It basically takes a step out of the SLS style movement.

I think the WRS would be equally as fast as the ALS model from Safariland. I trust Safariland more when it comes to retention in a fight or someone trying to grab your gun. They just use stronger plastics/materials than just about anyone else. I was not a huge fan of the Tek-Lok system I had on my Blade-Tech holster. It never failed me, it just didn't inspire the same confidence as the 2" belt loop on the Safariland.

Do you have a "Level" you're trying to meet. All of the options I've mentioned are more or less Level 2. There is also something called an ALS guard, which is a sliding cover to the ALS button. You slide the cover forward, depress the ALS and draw. There are a ton of combos with the Safariland --- not sure how many work with the PPQ.

My Safariland is about 20+ days out (CopQuest has to order them from the factory), so it'll be a bit, but I'll do a review on them. I may call Blade-Tech and plead for a light-compatible WRS holster.

Per policy the holster should be a level 3, but they dont seem to particular since the one the issued me is a level two.

I like the Safariland that locks the gun in automatically when you put it back in the holster. That way you dont have to do anything but put it back in the holster if you have to go "hands on". Does the Bladetech have that feature?

At this point I am not too particular as long as I can find at least a level 2 that is specifically designed for the PPQ.

Thanks,

jstrange

Guys,

Don't forget about Dale Frickes stuff. Here is a PPQ Archangel he did for me. Very fricke-ing comfortable and works like a charm!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Swoble Guest
    JStrange,

The Blade-tech requires you to rotate the hood back into it's locked position, like the Safariland SLS. The Blade-Tech can be adjusted like a normal kydex holster also, so the pistol 'clicks' into place, but it will not be locked.

Colombianito - we're just discussing 2" duty belt rigs for cop-carry. I'll probably try Dale for an IWB holster at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoble View Post
    JStrange,

The Blade-tech requires you to rotate the hood back into it's locked position, like the Safariland SLS. The Blade-Tech can be adjusted like a normal kydex holster also, so the pistol 'clicks' into place, but it will not be locked.

Colombianito - we're just discussing 2" duty belt rigs for cop-carry. I'll probably try Dale for an IWB holster at some point.
    OOPS, my bad. But i wonder if Dale has or can make a like type holster for you guys??

Swoble Guest
    Anything is possible, but a normal Kydex would be the equivalent of a Level 1 holster (one form of retention).

I know a lot of kydex makers offer stuff like a thumb-break etc. The duty holsters require a whole bunch more work than a normal kydex unfortunately -- heavy duty mounts, and the hardware involved. Then the mechanics of whatever retention device you choose. They also need to be extremely rugged/tough for keeping it on the belt when someone is trying to break it off.

This is another place where SERPAs fail immensely - they break off if you look at them the wrong way.

The PPQ was my 1st striker/polymer pistol being a diehard 1911 guy. It is also the 1st 40 I have ever owned.

When I went to my FFL he had one in the case & I fell in love with the ergonomics & it followed me home.

I am at 600rds so far with no malfunctions at all. I didn't care for the plastic sights but a set of trijis fixed that & it gets carried in a Kaliban Cloak holster which is very comfortable & has great retention.

I was so impressed with this pistol that thinking I was missing out on something I actually bought a Glock too (G21), a pistol that I have ridiculed pretty much since they were invented.
    The PPQ has opened my eyes enough that I appreciate the Glock as well but it doesn't come close to the Walther's ergonomics IMO.
    Now if I could just find a level 2 holster for my PPQ I will be delighted.

BTW for any 40 PPQ owners the P99 40cal mag work fine in it. I picked up 4 of them off GB for $25 each.

Swoble Guest
    ^Only later generation P99 magazines work. Earlier P99 magazines need some material dremel'ed off to fit. There is a lot of info about it over on the WFs.

LongKnife, I have a Safariland ALS on the way, which is "technically" a Level 2 holster (ie. retention screw, and ALS thumb button). I'll let you know if it works when it shows up. It's cut for a P99.

Thanks Swoble! I have wondered how well P99 holsters would work... It seems the dimensions are very nearly identical, my only concern is the slide release clearance.

I look forward to hearing how the ALS works for you.

Swoble Guest
    Yep, that's one of my concerns, as well as the trigger guard shape - guess we'll find out. I'd imagine another week or so, since it's been about two weeks, and they said 15-20 days out.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415 LastLast