SI 2014 Training
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: New Walther PPQ

Swoble Guest
    Update: Ran another couple hundred rounds through the PPQ, and similar to last time - the gun functioned fantastic (still no cleaning/lubing etc.) and toward the end of the day, when the pistol was hot to the touch, two failures to extract resulting in a double feed (well, a double feed of a live round trying to close on an empty casing). Oddly I fired the gun more this time than previously, and had fewer failures. Gun still laser accurate (even with the brown bear ammo).

Swoble Guest
    Finally got around to taking my CWP class (been lazy since leaving the Patrol). Needless to say my PPQ did not disappoint. 50 rounds, 5-15 yards, shooting from low ready, and holster draw. The thing continues to be a laser beam. Had one failure to extract which ended up with me punching the casing out with a spare pen --- switched over to Hornady Critical Defense (only other ammo I had in my bag) ran flawlessly.

Swoble Guest
    Update: Concluded my 900 round Brown Bear test. As posted before, perhaps 12-15 double feeds out of the 900 rounds. No cleaning, no lube. Gun functioned 100% with brass ammo (used periodically during the shoots).

My brother shot my PPQ a few times, and liked it so much he sold his XD and ordered one. Prices have jumped a bit, and the guns themselves have become a bit scarce.

The forums: So far, no new observations about issues. A handful of individual issues, but I see no trends or serious issues popping up.

Good news: Walther is letting go of Smith and Wesson as their US-based warranty branch. There is word that Walther will be building a US base of operations sometime in 2013. Warranty work has been hit or miss with the S&W guys (gee, because you sell an opposing model!?). This is encouraging.

Holster!: Took a while (and they even shipped it to my old address first!) but Blade-Tech WRS arrived. The WRS system is slightly different between handguns, so this one isn't quite as fast as my P2000 model, but still very reasonable. Nice to have a safe/robust duty based holster.

Shootin'!: Stole this screen-cap from a video of me and a buddy shooting. We film most of our drills so we can watch them and tear ourselves apart...quite useful (unfortunately!)

Swoble Guest
    New sight...: The one big weakness I see with this gun is the plastic front sight. It is cheap plastic, and I think they chose a silly/poor attachment method. While testing out an ALS holster, the front sight snagged and popped off...and needed replacing. Dawson has released a fibre optic (or) tritium front with a plain black serrated rear. I ordered the front until I can afford the rear. Build is nice...but this slide will eventually be getting an RMR treatment.

If you like fibre-optic sights, I guess it's a nice option. Have not used it in anger yet.

Anyone here carrying the PPQ AIWB? Certain people on certain other forums seem to have the idea that because it has a nicer (not lighter) trigger than certain other striker-fired, safety-less polymer guns, it is somehow less safe.

Swoble Guest
    I haven't tried...the risks are inherently the same, but I see no reason not to. If you're going by the folks over at the Walther Forums - they are unfortunately a very diverse and rather experience-limited group. I'd ignore them, and do what you trust yourself to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoble View Post
    I haven't tried...the risks are inherently the same, but I see no reason not to. If you're going by the folks over at the Walther Forums - they are unfortunately a very diverse and rather experience-limited group. I'd ignore them, and do what you trust yourself to do.
    That forum has its share of 'special people', but better than most brand-specific forums, to be fair. I'm thinking of an un-named forum started by and based around a different trainer.

Interesting thread Elbows. Maybe we'll stick and RMR on it, have Balde Tech make a holster for it, invade that forum nobody is talking about, and flip off a few more people. What do you think?

Default New Walther PPQ

Ahoy Walther forum, heave to and prepare to be boarded!
    View and register for Pa classes here.

View and register for VA classes here.

I like the ppq. I dislike the sights. If an rmr option was available (with buis, ofcourse) I would be tempted.