Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    sootytom Guest
    My trijicon led rmr was installed on a g23 in may 2010. I've been shooting it alot my 1st problem w/it happened within 1 month,the battery contact was loose and would short out on slide temp. repair a little elec. tape,rmr was sent back to trijicon and repaired it's been working great since UNTIL I was at FS taking a 2 day skill builder class on 11-27 gun was working awesome until middle of day 2 doing trigger reset drills to the head box @ 10 yds all of a sudden the red dot dimmed to 10-20% of normal brightness OH CRAP I finished the drill at break I cleaned the glass and cleaned the small glass at the led w/qtip still seemed very dim fortunatly I had a 2nd rmr glock in my bag so I used my g35 w/fiber opic and finished the class and test.
    When I got home I called trijicon about problems w/rmr cust service rep. said when battery is low the dot will flash so he wasn't sure about dim dot. The RD was sent back they completely stripped everthing out of the housing and replaced it all I should be getting it back this week. I really like the led model but I'm a little LED shy now I own 3 rmr dual ill. unit no problems yet w/them 2 are 1 month old and have'nt been shot much with those guns I'm liking the dual ill. unit more now no battery to mess with, the only problem I've had dual ill. unit is at night shooting w/tact. light at targets 10 yds and closer the dot washes out and is very hard to see so I switch to point shooting or buis.
    The dimming LED concerns me because it happened SO QUICK it seemed to be working fine easy to see and the next presentation from the holster it was dim,it happened that quickly so that's my exper. so far with the the rmr glocks I love these guns and my 50 yr old eyes love the rmrs. I'll never go back to iron sights,but I still pratice w/them

My first battery lasted only about 4 1/2 months from the first of March to the middle of June....Dot just faded away during a match.

Mine too has made the journey back to Trijicon for a rebuild. Upon return I put a new, different brand battery into it and discovered I could torque the two mounting screws down hard enough to make the dot go out...I was squeezing the battery (dead short?) too much and causing the dot to go out. One layer of duct tape between the mount (and battery) and the slides bare metal was enough clearance to cure that problem. It also serves as a last line of defense from moisture.

I believe RMR mounted slides from OST come with a piece of commercial grade electrical tape over the battery to effect moisture control to the compartment. If you get moisture into the battery compartment past your O-ring, and not that much, it 'no worky' anymore!
    An RMR mounted Glock....."It's just cheating"

I know Gabe has dunked the RMR mounted Glocks in a bucket of water before shooting and I have a theory why it's not a problem when the gun is shot right away...Any minor moisture is cooked off and out by the slide temp.

If it wasn't an issue there would be no need for an O-ring in the first place and Trijicon wouldn't put one on.

A challenge. Put a drop of water in the compartment and seal it back up normally...I predict the dot won't be there the next day.

Suggestion, use Kapton tape instead of electrical or duct tape. That's what it's specifically designed for in the electronics industry. It's used for mounting and as an insulator, and both at the same time.

It's basically mylar/polyimide so it does not tear and will not easily pin-hole, takes extreme heat, has very agressive adhesive, is hydrophobic, insoluble, etc. Kapton is also mechanically stable, electrical and duct tape are not.

http://www.kaptontape.com/

While "Kapton" is a brand many make this same tape. It's been around so long that eveybody call it kapton regardless who makes it. It's a commodity item, very cheap and easy to get.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    - Mark Twain
    "Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by 10X View Post
    If it wasn't an issue there would be no need for an O-ring in the first place and Trijicon wouldn't put one on.
    Pure water is an insulator at low voltages, it's stuff in the water that causes problems. Pure water / moisture will also promote corrosion of the contacts and solder actually grows "wiskers" over very long periods of time, faster with humidity present. So very close solder joints will short a low power design, higher power circuit will just vaporize them.

http://www.cinemag.biz/rohs.html

"Solder whiskers are now a major concern in the electronics industry. They were virtually eliminated by the 1960s with the advent of modern lead-tin solders. With the advent of RoHS, these reliability issues have returned.

Whiskers can grow to be many millimeters long. It is a good idea to keep this in mind when designing your product. Use of solder masks on pc boards may have some benefit but the whiskers are capable of undercutting or piercing weak areas in the mask. Keeping tin coated areas well separated as well as conformal coated may be helpful.

NASA reports that a number of satellites have failed because of Tin (Sn) whisker phenomena. Note that tin-lead solders significantly reduce this problem, as shown in these NASA photomicrographs."

That said, if the internal board was not properly washed during manufacture that can cause problems due to the contamination. This is espically true for ultra low power designs.

I'm not saying the above has anything to do with the Trijicon RMR. I am saying keep it clean, dry, and sealed on the INSIDE. :)
    Last edited by JustMe; 12-20-2010 at 02:40 AM.
    - Mark Twain
    "Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."
    - Albert Einstein

Change all batteries on all guns on all battery powered optics January 2nd (after the hangover goes away) and June 2nd. Never had and issue.

It's marked on my calender as "change battery's day". I also do the smoke detectors, alarm clocks, appliance remotes....if it has a battery, I replace it.
    Last edited by YARP; 12-20-2010 at 09:17 AM.

The only thing that the water bucket test (dunking the pistol with sight in a bucket of water while setting up targets) proves is: The O-ring is keeping moisture from entering the battery compartment...The only way the sight keeps working is if that compartment is kept bone dry. Ask me how I know.

My thought and theory was that any water that could get past the O-ring from a cut or tear in the rubber would evaporate from firing the gun...Heating the slide up may also help it seal better against the ring...I know it's a stretch.

Having a third or so of the O-ring exposed and squeezed by the slides' edge is not ideal, just adequate. Trijicon gives no direction on how often or even if the O-ring should be replaced periodically. The ring is glued in place in the channel from the factory and no, they don't include a spare one.

Ok, I'll geek out some more:

Next time an electronic device gets water in it IMMEDIATELY yank the battery. Carefully disassemble and RINSE WELL with distilled water. Shake the electronics clean then you can dry it with a hair dryer making sure your hand feels the heat - Simple way to keep from heating the device too much. Don't heat LCDs too much.

This will not get rid of all the water and using compressed air causes static which can damage components. Let the components sit in a nice warm sport for a couple of days.

99.9% chance it'll be just fine when you put it back together. Look for signs of water that might have been missed.

These days most parts, including electromechanical parts, are sealed and washable. Motors obviously can't be washed. Speakers and mics often can be, just place tape over them to seal them (they have tape on them from the OEM which is removed after assembly of the device they are on).

Tap water can work but the distilled will help get cut the surface contaminants better, like dropping in the sea (salt) or muck. I don't suggest solvents, even alcohol, unless you know what you are doing.

Yeah, done this many times. :) The hardest part is figuing out how to open things without breaking them, everything else is simple and easy.

Next time a remote stops working, follow the above procedure remembering to seperate the rubber peice from the circuit board (those are the surfaces that are dirty and stop it from working).
    - Mark Twain
    - Albert Einstein

Is it necessary to re-zero the RMR after replacing the battery, or will it retain zero?

No change to zero....Replace battery and you should be good to go!