Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Actual battery life in the Trijicon RMR

The RDS on my EDC pistol has been getting dimmer over the past 7 - 10 days. To confirm that this was not just my imagination (or failing eyesight ) I compared it side-by-side to a second, more recently Glock-mounted RMR. The difference in brightness was clearly noticeable. I decided to see how long it would keep going on its original battery.

In training today, the red-dot was gone. Since I was mainly practicing point-shooting on the move, it was somewhat of a non-issue, and I only noticed it when starting to take sighted shots at 10 yds. +.

This pistol has no BU rear sight, only the front suppressor blade. That worked fine for taking fairly accurate sighted shots from 10 yds. or so, hitting within a 4-6" circle. Would not have won me a marksmanship prize, but I was definitely still in the fight.

Anyway, in this case at least, battery life has been somewhat shorter than expected and estimated by Trijicon. This was a factory new RMR, activated and mounted sometime in March of this year, so I got about 9 mths. on the original battery. With a new battery installed today, the RMR is back to its former glory and brightness.

Based on my experience, I would now recommend swapping out batteries in the RMR every 6 mths. or so. Has anyone here had theirs running much longer than 9 mths. on a single battery?
    Last edited by HamburgO; 12-18-2010 at 06:33 PM.
    Luck Is For Rabbits...!

The problem is that you don't know how old the battery was before the RMR was mounted and sold to you (assuming that this is your first battery).

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

And all batteries are not the same.

Just because the "form factor" / battery type is the same does not means the chemistry is the same nor the overall capacity. These vary a lot.

For example:

An old digital camera I have uses 4 AA batteries. The first thing I did when I got it was purchase the most common brand AA's available and then turn the camera on with power save off. The extremes were:

Duracell ran for 20 minutes

Energizer ran for 90 minutes

Date codes were about the same. And I'm in no way suggesting the those are the results you'd get today nor that the AA results will match a different battery type. However that variation between manufactures is what I expect, today and 10 years from now. This is the way it's allways been ... I also ran the test a few months later and got similar results. Manufacturers supply consumers whatever they can get away with per unit dollar.

It's easy for me to do this type of testing even for such a long term usage. But I don't have and RMR and would need one in my mitts for a couple of weeks ... Assuming anybody would care about such results.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    - Mark Twain
    "Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."
    - Albert Einstein

The battery's usable lifespan is going to be strongly affected by your environment. If the RMR is in the dark most of the time the battery will last much longer than if it's open carried in the bright sunlight. That's the two extremes of course.

It's good that you had some warning that the battery was getting weak.

Added a little info from Trijicon:
    "The RMR offers two illumination configurations. One choice is an innovative LED (light emitting diode) insert that automatically adjusts for brightness in any lighting situation and ensures optimum visibility of the red dot against the target."

"The LED RMR is powered by a longlife lithium battery that delivers 17,000 hours of battery life or more."

17,000 hours is almost 2 years, so that clearly must be if the RMR is kept in the dark the entire time.
    Last edited by bmg; 12-18-2010 at 09:26 PM.

My original battery in my Dr. Optic lasted for 5 years but in the next 3 years I have gone through 3 batteries. I am thinking change battery twice a year and then don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bmg View Post
    The battery's usable lifespan is going to be strongly affected by your environment.
    And heat typically increases current consumption of semiconductors / electronics.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    - Mark Twain
    "Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."
    - Albert Einstein

I @7 months on the one that came with my unit FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Swain View Post
    I @7 months on the one that came with my unit FWIW.
    You dont turn it off, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Robison View Post
    No, it's a constant on system.
    Thanks, I dont have one yet. Soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
    The problem is that you don't know how old the battery was before the RMR was mounted and sold to you (assuming that this is your first battery).
    I bought and installed a JPoint in May on my G19 using the supplied factory battery. It was dead in less than two weeks.

I put a new one in first week of June and it has been fine for almost 7 months now.