Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default RMR on Glock 40's

How are the RMRs holding up on the .40 Glocks- G22/23/27? Does anyone have a high round count through one? I've been thinking about an RMR on a G19 or G23, but I'm not sure if he heavier recoil of the .40 will be hard on the RMR. Thanks.

Grey Man Guest
    the RMR is recoil rated for rifles and shotguns I doubt a 40 caliber handguns going to affect it

I just watched a guy take a Cape Buffalo with a double rifle that had a RMR on it, so a .40 is really nothing compared to this.

Quote Originally Posted by jdub View Post
    How are the RMRs holding up on the .40 Glocks- G22/23/27? Does anyone have a high round count through one? I've been thinking about an RMR on a G19 or G23, but I'm not sure if he heavier recoil of the .40 will be hard on the RMR. Thanks.
    No failures reported to date with over a dozen in service.

Im pretty sure that a sight mounted on the slide of a Glock will see more violent actions at both ends of the cycle than could ever be seen in a shoulder fired rifle of any caliber... but none of that changes the fact that thats what little sights like the RMR were designed for, and they survive just fine.
    Look, I don't care what the title someone has been given.
    I don't care on who's authority they come.
    I couldn't care less which Government sent them, or if they act alone.
    I don't care who voted for them, even if I voted for them.
    I matters not which race, or their sex, or religion.

ANYONE who poses a significant threat to the life or liberty of "me and mine" gets a fight.

Regardless if I win, or lose, Jesus and I will have a talk about it later.

I plan to change out batteries in my RMRs and Aimpoints on Jan first every year anyway.
    Dean

I am all about minding my own business, but when someone comes around me threatening people he doesn't know and I don't know him I kind of feel like he has made it my business.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Swain View Post
    No failures reported to date with over a dozen in service.
    That's good news. I would like to see if anyone has put their G22/23/27 RMR through the ringer yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondD View Post
    I plan to change out batteries in my RMRs and Aimpoints on Jan first every year anyway.
    Granted, I am running a fastfire II, and dr optic micro red dots, not RMRs, but my glock mounted dot has been on since it was mounted in 2008...

I plan to change it every time I vote for president. anything aimpoint makes can o the same length of time without battery changes.
    Look, I don't care what the title someone has been given.
    I don't care on who's authority they come.
    I couldn't care less which Government sent them, or if they act alone.
    I don't care who voted for them, even if I voted for them.
    I matters not which race, or their sex, or religion.

ANYONE who poses a significant threat to the life or liberty of "me and mine" gets a fight.

Regardless if I win, or lose, Jesus and I will have a talk about it later.

Not "through the wringer" yet, but I've put 700+ through my RMR'd 23 in two outings. I'm using the LW slide on a Gen4 frame and barrel. After the first session of 300 rounds, I was able to get 1/4 turn on the mounting screws. I was advised by TSD that there was a questionable batch of thread locker, and I probably got some of it. The screws stayed tight through the second session of 400+ rounds, but I am keeping an eye on them with new thread locker handy.

I have had no problems with change in zero. Most of the ammo used have been my reloads, which are 180g copper plated slugs at around 950 fps. I burned through 150 rounds of 180g HST because I am in an ammo rotation, so I got a little OEM recoil under it's belt.

700 rounds is not a thorough testing, for sure, but it's what I have to offer.

Seems to me the folks around here have enough mechanical intuition that I figured I'd do some digging that I'd wanted to do but never made the time for it.

How exactly do Red Dots work?

That should give a good sense to how "sensitive they are". These days patents almost allways explain how stuff works. :)

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5483362.pdf

So my read is a "hologram" of a dot is "recorded" into the "film" / window. That window is made thick for durability and to launch the monocramatic (single color) light into it to cuase the hologram to be viewable. The angle if incidence of the light onto the window would be critical but not that critical, the dot would just move off a tiny bit.

Bottom line, is the little glass tubes in a modern night site can survive for a decade, and so seems trivial to make RMR's survive. Optics and the self illumination system.

That only leaves left electronics, which do not like vibrations, the solder joints tend to shear (primary reason your "old" electronics fail). Needless to say, military equipment is far more complex than these things, so Trijicon (or whatever brand) must use full mil spec (not commercial) design and manufacturing processes to ensure reliability - That's just a cost issue. From there you validate by sticking a few articles into a test setup and shake/pound the crap out of them at greatly elevated G's over the intended application - Again, "just" a cost issue really. One typical way to do all this is "potting" (fill with epoxy) everything to insure no parts can move relative to others, stress are more uniformly distributed.

I dunno if any given manufacturer's device is or is not reliable, but sure seems like the basic knowledge of how to make a reliable device has existed for some time and would thus be available for those wanting to pay for it.

FWIW
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    - Mark Twain
    "Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."
    - Albert Einstein