Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Distance shooting with a snubbie

Today I watched Jon Payne fire over 10 rounds with no misses at a torso sized target with a 1 7/8" barrel .38 revolver. For a pocket pistol with a short barrel, that is some impressive work.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus

The Spartans never asked how many of the enemy there were, only where they could find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Wiese View Post
    Today I watched Jon Payne fire over 10 rounds with no misses at a torso sized target with a 1 7/8" barrel .38 revolver. For a pocket pistol with a short barrel, that is some impressive work.
    At what distance please?

It certainly is impressive at longer than normal distances.

Regards,
    Anthony.
    If you have to fight, do not fear death.
    We will all die one day, so fight skillfully and bravely!
    And if it is to be that you die, then at least go to God proudly.
    Meet him as the proud warrior that you once were, and not as a sniveling coward.
    Nobody lives forever.

A high quality snubby, Smith and Wesson or Colt are the ones I have the most experience with, will scare you at long distance.

Anthony, it was 53 yards. Not real long, just dispelling an inaccuracy myth.
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

Red Dot Combat Pistol School Orange TX March 6-8, 2020

I used to shoot almost daily at a strip mine in PA. There was an old guy (73) who would pick up brass there who carried a Model 19 snub in his back pocket. One-handed, unsupported, single action, shifting between his bifocals and normal lenses he would nail just about anything he wanted at 100 - 120 yards. He embodied the addage "Beware of the man with only one gun". He used a 158 SWC .38 hand load.

With a good load and a good trigger its just a matter of believing you can do it and practicing the shot at those ranges. Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Payne View Post
    Anthony, it was 53 yards. Not real long, just dispelling an inaccuracy myth.
    Very nice indeed.

So now that we know the distance, we can indeed agree with the comments on the original post 'impressive'.

Regards,
    Anthony.
    If you have to fight, do not fear death.
    We will all die one day, so fight skillfully and bravely!
    And if it is to be that you die, then at least go to God proudly.
    Meet him as the proud warrior that you once were, and not as a sniveling coward.
    Nobody lives forever.

I won a $100.00 bet with my snubbie at 50 yard range at Ft. Meade vs some FBI agents who said I couldn't hit anything. It was very slowfire double action only and head shots. I was able to get a 3" group with lots of witnesses and the beer was on the FBI.
    "when swords clash, we will know the truth"

I've seen Bob Mundin get hits at amazing distances with a snubby. That guy's amazing anyway.

Grip, sigh alighnment & trigger squeez. And knowing you're firearm. I can hit 100 yard shots all day with my Barreta and Bursa Thunder .380. (Yes I did say Bursa lol)

One of the reasons that I prefer the S&W J-Frame snub noses as back-up guns is because of the Very Good accuracy that they are capable of.
    "Practice under circumstances which approximate as nearly as possible to actual fighting conditions." Sykes & Fairbairn in 'Shooting to Live' - 1942.