The Suarez Method
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Question about MBC

So I recently got MBC-The Enhanced Version, and I have to say that it is great! My wife and I have been working through it, but I have a predicament, I am left handed, so I am a bit confused as to how I should be working the techniques. So, yea, my question is what to do, how to train. When I have an angle 1 coming at me I cannot do the crossada, and most of the techniques seem backward for me. So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The legend is that Bruce Lee used to watch tapes of Muhammed Ali's fights in a mirror to make what he was studying be seen with the lead hand he wanted to use.
    God's dog, training to be a lion.

TheYellowDogProject...spread the word.

Mike says this is a mainly right hand dominated system because most people are right handed.

For a left hander, many times you will work on a pass. Let the arm/attack go by, attack the back of the arm/tricep, check the arm, attack the sciatic area.

We are doing a class in Tennesee in Jan. Come on up!
    www.ohioppt.com
    Twitter @Ohioppt

What you do all depends on the situation. Are you talking right handed vs. left handed? I am going to make an assumption and say that is your predicament. In that situation I would step in and do a meet and then pass the arm through and cut the quad with an angle 4, it would be a little awkward but doable.
    As John said though the system is designed as right hand biased. This is not because we hate left handers but merely because statistics are in a right hand favor....most people are right handed therefore most attackers are right handed.
    I will continue to play that scenario this week and let you know what I come up with.

Thanks for the help guys. Yea, I am talking myself being left handed vs a right handed attacker. The pass is a little awkward because I have to move my hand to the outside and turn my wrist to the outside also, but I found that doing a meet with the lead hand and then turning to cut the bicep like you said actually feels quite natural, and seems to be effective. And I would love to come to the class, but I was also going to try and attend CRG in January also, so I am not sure I could make both, but someday soon hopefully! Thanks again guys.

Uli Gebhard Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCreery View Post
    Mike says this is a mainly right hand dominated system because most people are right handed.

For a left hander, many times you will work on a pass. Let the arm/attack go by, attack the back of the arm/tricep, check the arm, attack the sciatic area.

We are doing a class in Tennesee in Jan. Come on up!
    +1 on all all counts. John is a great guy to work with and I can highly recommend taking this course!

[quote=Skripy;1045884]So I recently got MBC-The Enhanced Version, and I have to say that it is great! My wife and I have been working through it, but I have a predicament, I am left handed, so I am a bit confused as to how I should be working the techniques. So, yea, my question is what to do, how to train. When I have an angle 1 coming at me I cannot do the crossada, and most of the techniques seem backward for me. So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks![/QUOTE

Skirpy, I'm a southpaw as well. When I started training with the short blade, I just decided to go righty so that I didn't hold up the class. Now it feels quite natural and it is easy to mirror techniques with my left on my own time. I think, for me, going this route frees up my left for a more effective "live hand" role when it gets in close and nasty.
    Last edited by Jr. Urbina; 10-27-2010 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JR Urbina View Post
    Skirpy, I'm a southpaw as well. When I started training with the short blade, I just decided to go righty so that I didn't hold up the class. Now it feels quite natural and it is easy to mirror techniques with my left on my own time. I think, for me, going this route frees up my left for a more effective "live hand" role when it gets in close and nasty.
    I have been working it right handed, it is awkward, but I am getting the hang of it.

It was real awkward at first for me as well. If you get in a solid day or two of training under some real pressure, it'll come quick.

I am a lefty but carry and hold the knife right handed. I do this for a couple reasons. I was taught to fight with the knife in the forward hand, and I am a lefty so it leaves me left hand free to hold, punch, etc. I was actually working the knife with my left hand tonight and that felt awkward