Thread: Workout ?

Default Workout ?

There's a chance Uncle Sam might give me a another shot( first time I didn't make it through basic because of a bad knee and lack of fitness on my part). What pre-basic workout would you be doing right now if you were in my shoes?
    Mean Little F@&$%r

"Be smart enough to avoid most problems, mean enough to strike first, and tough enough to fight back if you get hit."

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." Dalai Lama

Power walk. A lot. 2 - 3 miles a day, it will not hurt your knee, you will be able to build up your endurance without putting the same kind of strain on your joints. After a couple of weeks, throw on a forty pound back pack - use rocks if you need to.

Push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups. Work up to about 100 push-ups and sit-ups twice a day. Pull-ups, maybe 20 - 25 once day.

That will be a good starting point for beginning basic again. Remember to stay a bit lean if you can, and no matter what kind of shape you are in, they will still find ways to wear you out regardless. But being in good, moderate shape before you go will make things less of a shock, as I know you already know.

And drink lots of water.
    "It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid"- High Plains Drifter

I had knee surgery 2 years ago and my 2 mile time now is around 16:30. I lifted this interval run training program that I start on Monday. I already due three sets of 25 push ups and sit ups as part of my workout but I'll work on upping my reps as advised. Wish me luck . . .
    Mean Little F@&$%r

"Be smart enough to avoid most problems, mean enough to strike first, and tough enough to fight back if you get hit."

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." Dalai Lama

I'm guessing Army, but you mentioned 'basic' so I guess it could be USAF, although they generally don't let you try to get back in.

The Army has semi-recently redone its PT program, especially for basic training.

Here are some links to help you out.

Make sure you are good to go on the 'conditioning drills'

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/army/a/armypt.htm

http://www.armystudyguide.com/conten...dized--2.shtml

http://www.army.mil/standto/archive/2010/06/04/

You can download the new Army PT manual at the link below...

http://www.sergeantstimetraining.com...test_apft.html

Take care,
    Kolt
    "I will do today what others will not do, so I can do tomorrow what others cannot do."--Unknown

Yeah it's the Army, from what I've seen I meet the bare minimum but I want to go in near the max for my age group (30) . ..
    Mean Little F@&$%r

Even at 30, if you apply yourself right you should be able to max out in the lower age groups. At 33, even with my so-called routine, I do better than most ten years younger than me at work - and that includes the ones that lift weights.

Not bragging, just using that as an example. You will do fine, I'm sure, seeing as you are already readying yourself, not to mention the maturity level of a 30 year old compared to that of your average 17 - 19 year old.
    "It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid"- High Plains Drifter

Getting ready for initial training is different from anything else you'll do. I don't have experience with the Army, but I was in the Marines, so I have an idea of what is expected.

Push ups become second nature. Doing some "grease the groove" type training beforehand would be a very good idea.

I'd run until I could comfortably meet the standard. Once that is something you have no concerns about, changing to hiking/walking in boots is a decent idea. We saw a rash of recruits with stress fractures in their legs because they weren't used to the abuse you get form walking in boots all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Getting ready for initial training is different from anything else you'll do. I don't have experience with the Army, but I was in the Marines, so I have an idea of what is expected.

Push ups become second nature. Doing some "grease the groove" type training beforehand would be a very good idea.

I'd run until I could comfortably meet the standard. Once that is something you have no concerns about, changing to hiking/walking in boots is a decent idea. We saw a rash of recruits with stress fractures in their legs because they weren't used to the abuse you get form walking in boots all the time.
    HA! I remember the day after our 20 mile ruck march all the guys walking like they had glass in their feet.
    :p

I had ACL replacement surgery, and my PT had me doing a lot of body weight lunges to make my knee strong.

Good luck!

Don