Default Red dot pistols and stock pistol transition issues

So, I'm new to browsing this fine forum regularly and have noticed the multitude of references to red dot equipped glocks. I think it's awesome that these are being used and figured a few years ago that it was only a matter of time until such things were commonplace.

Now, in the AK section the doctrine on this site says that iron sighted plain jane AK47s are preferred for long guns as you can pick one up anywhere and use it.

My question is, does this not apply to pistols? A small red dot certainly qualifies as specialized and uncommon gear. And since I imagine most of us are not military contractors picking up a different pistol is something that will happen far more often than a new rifle.

Is it not a hindrance to use such specialized gear? I carry an HK USP compact in .40 and while that's not a common platform the sights/trigger skills translate pretty well to other pistols.

Just curious and in no way saying one way is "better".

Reverend Db

Mine in bold

Quote Originally Posted by reverend db View Post
    Now, in the AK section the doctrine on this site says that iron sighted plain jane AK47s are preferred for long guns as you can pick one up anywhere and use it.

Not exactly. You should know how to run a stock AK and any modifications should not alter the bolt handle, safety or magazine lever (the controls), but all of my GO TO rifles have Aimpoint sights on them, various muzzle attachments and so on. As long as the CONTROLS have not been messed with, you are fine.

Here is my GO TO Krink/Suchka

My question is, does this not apply to pistols? A small red dot certainly qualifies as specialized and uncommon gear. And since I imagine most of us are not military contractors picking up a different pistol is something that will happen far more often than a new rifle.

A red dot on a Glock does not change any controls on the weapon and no handling characteristics either
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Ah. That makes sense. Wouldn't mind a few more pics of that suchka. :-)

Honestly, I've been a fan of your work since I read "The Tactical Shotgun".

Regards,
    Reverend Db