Happy Holidays 2014
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Martial Blade Concepts- Enhanced Version-Review

Got this in the mail last week and have reviewed it several times. Janich gets to the point by addressing how the material has changed over the years based upon the evolution of MBC training. I really appreciated hearing his comments in the beginning about how the material has evolved which, in my mind, is the sign of a great teacher rather than the holier-than-thou attitude of many mainstream martial artists who claim to have the end-all techniques passed down unchanged.

Janich presents easy-to-follow drills with a partner along with solo drills for home-practice while keeping it down to a handful of methods. All too often it happens that one can't get together with a regular training group, as in my case of being on the road a lot, and I found some extremely useful home/travel training aids in this section and recommend checking out his unique and low-cost methods. This section was a real highlight for me and covered material I've not seen elsewhere.

Lastly, this DVD was done by Stay Safe and is of superb quality due to the talents of videographer Mike Rigg. Crisp and to the point and an excellent reference for the knife practitioner.

Tony Nester
    Tony Nester
    Ancient Pathways Survival School
    http://www.apathways.com

2. Dear Tony:

Thank you very much for the review and the kind words. I'm very glad we hitthe mark with the enhanced DVD and that it is doing its job in supporting your training goals.

Stay safe,

Mike

Default Plus 1

Definatly "cutting edge" knife training. Most things evolve, and I'm glad to see we have people on WT who are leading the way.

Counter Blade Concepts really rocked too. Loved the end where Mike demo'ed how the CBC could easily tranfer to handgun disarms. Great common sense stuff.
    Got Glock?
    Ya know, my momma always told me that one day i would be good at something...and who'd a thought that something would be killin' zombies.

Hey.. Why not join the Army? It's free!!

Thanks for the review, Tony. A bit of this was gone over in the knife class the wife and I took with SI a while back, and I have been meaning to pick up the dvds since.
    "He who can handle the quickest rate of change survives."

-Col John Boyd

"Only he is lost who gives himself up for lost"

-Hans-Ulrich Rudel

Uli Gebhard Guest
    The DVD is great material, not only the instruction and explanations themselves, but also the segment on training aids that one can build to work on essential skills, even without a partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Uli Gebhard View Post
    The DVD is great material, not only the instruction and explanations themselves, but also the segment on training aids that one can build to work on essential skills, even without a partner.
    +1. Just finished watching it. Excellent update to one of my favorite volumes.

Best,

Nick
    In order for the underprivileged and inept to feel adequate, the skilled and capable must be made stupid by decree.

- Gabe Suarez, 12/13/2011

I've been training the MBC Enhanced skills with my training partner (together with CBC and PUC) . MBC is really good because it uses commonality of techinique with rest of Michael's curriculum. Michael's stuff appears to have Phillipino (Eskrima/Kali/Arnis) as it's foundation however refined with the simplicity, practicality and brutality of military combatives: and a dash of the best parts of other arts as well. It's the best of proven systems refined with a modern approach. It's all very well conceived and Michael's presentations are phenomenal. He's a great teacher.

My next project is to learn reverse grip techinques in the Fighting Folder series.:)
    "Your shirt, it incites me."
    Subway Haji

"That which is defenseless will soon be attacked"
    Sun Tzu

"Stay thirsty my friends."
    The Most Interesting Man in the World

A bit late to the party, but any links for purchase of these materials?
    The Way of the warrior is to master the virtue of his weapons
    This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn. - Miyamoto Musashi

Shot placement may be king, but capacity is the prime minister. - garrettwc

Ehre über alles! Author unknown

Two roads diverged in a wood [a]nd I took the one less traveled by; And that has made all the difference - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    A bit late to the party, but any links for purchase of these materials?
    Here you go:

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/mar...edversion.aspx