Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: ACOG on the AK?

Mine in bold

Quote Originally Posted by kalash74 View Post
    By bugs, I meant some of the issues guys were having getting their TWS GenII beta versions to fit their rifles. Most seemed to have to do some modification or other to the rail to get it to fit or to keep the charging handle from hitting it.

I have them on a Bulagrian 5.45, a Polish 7.62 and a Romanian 7.62, and they were drop in fit on all of them.

I think they were also having some issues with the recoil spring button.

No issues with the recoild spring button on ANY of them.

There is a long thread on the topic here: (link edited but it was ARF.com)

Those guys are all a bunch of fags. I have no respect for that fag forum.

I'm pretty excited about the rail myself, but I was waiting until they got everything finalized. I was just wondering if they have done all the finalizing they plan to do, or if the product is still being developed as we speak.

Bullshit. The product is ready to go. I will bet some baloney smoker at arfcom will drop it on a rug next and break it.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    Mine in bold
    I guess I will have to give it a try then. One other thing--do you know if they are planning to develop a flip-up rear sight as an offering in addition to the rear peep? I'd rather not have a peep in the way of my optic--I find the AK notch style to be lower in profile and less intrusive.

If there was any AK in my inventory that would receive this upgrade, it would be my Tantal. Then I'd have to paint it black to mack the new receiver cover. Decisions, decisions.
    Turtle snake to the north. Blue dragon to the east. Red sparrow to the south. White tiger to the west.

I guess I will have to give it a try then. One other thing--do you know if they are planning to develop a flip-up rear sight as an offering in addition to the rear peep? I'd rather not have a peep in the way of my optic--I find the AK notch style to be lower in profile and less intrusive.
    There was a thread here recently about this very thing on TWS rail (possibility of flip up BUIS's, AK-style rear sight instead of appature, etc). Sorry I don't have a link. Search around a bit and you'll find it.
    NREMT-Paramedic
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, ITLS

1*
    Take Care and STAY SAFE

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    Attachment 13311

I have one on a 5.45x39, but will be the first to tell you that I plan on putting the 7.62x39 TA33R-13 on a similar AK in the caliber. Far from being what you say is "a waste of time", it is a sound addition. Anyone who thinks the AK is a short range weapon only does not have sufficient time behind the gun.

In Kansas we took everyone out to 300 yards....and a few that had good rifles, ammo, and optics, went to 500. A 3 power ACOG will do this far better than anything else. A rifle like an AK, with good ammo, AND A GOOD OPTIC like an ACOG will surprise the hell out of you.

Of course, they guys that like to bumpfire their WASR10s into the berm will not have any use of such things.
    It's good to see Trijicon making a 7.62x39 option.

I would put a 1.5-2x powered model on my 5.45x39 that does pretty well, but I stoutly maintain that the 7.62x39 is a short to medium range round at best, not just becuase of poor downrange energy, but the biggest problem seems to be with accuracy of the round and the gas-system w/the 7.62 pill.

I guess if you can make a hit at 500 yards, w/any repeatable accuracy then that's great.. after all they arent going to be any more dead than dead.

My experience, having owned half a dozen or so "good" AK-47's over the past 15 years, was that the round doesn't perform that well at longer ranges, even trying the best bullets we could hand-load. We not only had poor terminal ballistics with the round, but the 7.62 gas-system seems to cause severe barrel harmonics if you try and get the round up to speed, and it just kills accuracy.

I'm sure there are ways around it with stabilizers like Clark's put on the Mini-14, or an integral suppressor but the bbl red jacket in Baton Rouge uses is only 8" long I believe.
    AK's are great, hard to kill, and hit hard up close, but the round seems to hemorrhage energy in the transonic range.

Quote Originally Posted by DooDoomanJapan View Post
    It's good to see Trijicon making a 7.62x39 option.

I would put a 1.5-2x powered model on my 5.45x39 that does pretty well, but I stoutly maintain that the 7.62x39 is a short to medium range round at best, not just becuase of poor downrange energy, but the biggest problem seems to be with accuracy of the round and the gas-system w/the 7.62 pill.

I guess if you can make a hit at 500 yards, w/any repeatable accuracy then that's great.. after all they arent going to be any more dead than dead.

My experience, having owned half a dozen or so "good" AK-47's over the past 15 years, was that the round doesn't perform that well at longer ranges, even trying the best bullets we could hand-load. We not only had poor terminal ballistics with the round, but the 7.62 gas-system seems to cause severe barrel harmonics if you try and get the round up to speed, and it just kills accuracy.

I'm sure there are ways around it with stabilizers like Clark's put on the Mini-14, or an integral suppressor but the bbl red jacket in Baton Rouge uses is only 8" long I believe.
    AK's are great, hard to kill, and hit hard up close, but the round seems to hemorrhage energy in the transonic range.
    With that being said, that's why my AMD and degrading eyes were built for 200 yards and closer. LOL!
    Turtle snake to the north. Blue dragon to the east. Red sparrow to the south. White tiger to the west.

He has several sights coming that will offer anything any shooter should want to put on their rifle.
    Gabriel Suarez

Mine in bold

Quote Originally Posted by DooDoomanJapan View Post
    ........but I stoutly maintain that the 7.62x39 is a short to medium range round at best, not just becuase of poor downrange energy, but the biggest problem seems to be with accuracy of the round and the gas-system w/the 7.62 pill.

Well, "short to medium range" means different things. Exactly what does it mean to you? Is a rifle/round that you can hit to 100 yards fit that description? How about 300 yards? 400 yards? We do that all the time with the AK. Rather than argues about gas systems, I suggest getting out and shooting it. Unless one is simply sh*tty shot, they will see what I am saying....that inside 300 yards...maybe even to 400, the 7.62 will do fine...meaning it will hit.

In the real world of urban or rural, you will have a hard time seeing anyone at 500 yards bro. We did an experiment at a recent class. We had one of our staff walk out as the students scanned/glassed him. As soon as he broke off the KD range and into the brush, he virtually became invisible at 300 yards. Moreover, working snipers report the majority of sniping....sniping not assault rifle work, is taking place inside 500 yards. So strong 300 yard capability is just fine for me.

Well...owning a rifle also means different things bro. I own rifles too but I suspect in a different way. May I suggest that if you do not care for the 7.62x39 that there are lost of other places on the internet where people will agree with you vociferously. This is noit one of those places.

See above
    Gabriel Suarez

JackBurton86 Guest
    Gabe, do you consider this (ACOG set-up) to be a superior system to the "standard" Ultimak/Aimpoint system? Would it be a limiting factor for closer ranges? If that were the case though, a piggy-backed red dot sight could take care of that issue. A lot of food for thought with this concept...

Quote Originally Posted by JackBurton86 View Post
    Gabe, do you consider this (ACOG set-up) to be a superior system to the "standard" Ultimak/Aimpoint system?
    It really depends on your context. If you are fighting inside your house, the Aimpoint is definitely superior. The ACOG can be made to serve, but this isn't really it's intended niche. If you're shooting out at 200 yards or more, the ACOG is definitely the way to go. An Aimpoint can hit at those distances, but unless you're on a range with obvious targets the lack of magnification is going to make things difficult. At intermediate ranges (say 25-150 yards) both will serve fairly equally.

Consider what you want to do and decide which system to go with. Or just get two rifles.