Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I haven't ever read that he had been drinking, and I'm very familiar with this case. Can someone point me to a source indicating he had been drinking?

(In my state, the BAC limits for CCW and vehicle operation are the same. Makes sense to me.)

Quote Originally Posted by jlbraun View Post
    I haven't ever read that he had been drinking, and I'm very familiar with this case. Can someone point me to a source indicating he had been drinking?
    Assistant District Attorney Jan McDermott:
    "This is a situation where the gun changes everything. Certainly, there was alcohol involved; both sides were drinking that night."

Who knows if what she said is true or to what degree any drinking by Ung may have taken place but that is her quote. IMHO, nothing has changed my mind that Ung acted justifiably in self-defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold War Scout View Post
    I think Ung:

- fired just a little too soon

- should not have emptied his gun (for tactical reasons as well)
    "DiDonato said, "Who you gonna shoot?" and moved toward Ung, Webster said."

You're right.

He should have dumped two to the chest and put one in the face.

If you step *in* to the gun you have no one to blame but yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold War Scout View Post
    .....Philadelphia Municipal Judge David Shuter said his ruling was based on the number of bullets fired at vital body parts.
    Wow

I'm wondering if this statement alone is enough for an appeal

This kid is screwed unless his lawyer steps up his game

Right. Ung kicked at the guy to get back yet the guy moved into the gun and tried to grab his leg. He got what was coming to him

My junior year of college, a bunch of drunken Hofstra students were hanging out at a bar on Webster avenue in the bronx. A fordham security vehicle manned by a Retired NYPD cop would sit outside to make sure we didn't get mugged. One of them jumped on the hood of the car, and when he leaned out to yell at the guy to get off the vehicle, they grabbed the retired NYPD cop dragged him out of the vehicle and beat the hell otu fo him. The Retired cop had a gun but didn't fire and was hopsitalized with severe injuries.

My freshman year, a senior was jumped by a group of Freshman who beat him so badly he had to be transported to jacobi hospitals Tramau unit with severe injuries.

In both cases the perpertarators were drunken college kids. Seems these idiots got what was comign to them. I'm agravated on how Ung is being charged.

Ung, and his group, now face a situation of "he said, she said."

I find it interesting that the article makes no reference to any of Ung's peeps from the night in question testifying at the preliminary hearing. This hearing can often be considered to be a mini trial. The defense was probably trying to get the case dismissed, yet they did not have any of Ung's friends give their potentially different side of the story. Is it because their was no dramatically different side of the story?

It would seem quite possible that the chick Ung was with is the one who first started the interaction with the drunken crew doing chin-ups. I have told many chicks "and don't be doing any stupid crap that gets me into a fight. I can get my ass kicked without any help from anybody else. If I get into a fight it's going to be because I got myself into it."
    Last edited by Cold War Scout; 04-18-2010 at 07:23 AM.
    “This is a war and we are soldiers. Death can come for us at anytime, and in anyplace.” - Morpheus

"There are no silver medals on the world's mean streets." - CWS

Al Lipscomb Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyOblivion View Post
    "DiDonato said, "Who you gonna shoot?" and moved toward Ung, Webster said."

You're right.

He should have dumped two to the chest and put one in the face.

If you step *in* to the gun you have no one to blame but yourself.
    Two groups people, no big difference in number.
    Drinking on both sides.
    Girl doing something stupid.
    One person vs one person getting physical.
    You pull your gun and then start telling someone to backup.
    You kick at them and end up falling down.
    So you think shooting them dead will end up good for you?

I think someone purchased a gun and lacked a plan "B".

I fled crazy liberal Wisconsin as soon as I could because of idiotic stuff like we're discussing. I can't figure out what makes people stay in insanely liberal strongholds like Chicago, Madison, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, California, New York, etc. Just by spending time there you are putting yourself at the mercy of the out of control judicial system, not to mention the residents that make such areas the dumps that they are.

(In my state, the BAC limits for CCW and vehicle operation are the same. Makes sense to me.)
    My state too, and it horrifies people from more "civilized" states that prohibit residents from even looking at a bottle of alchohol while carrying :)

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lipscomb
    I think someone purchased a gun and lacked a plan "B".
    Hm. I have an honest question for you then, as I've thought about this myself. Say you're out with a group, you've had a few, and you don't even know this chick in your group, and you didn't say anything to the chinupping moron at all. She starts s^*& and starts to get pushed around, and her boy jumps in. What do you do? Walk?

Additionally, it's my opinion that whatever substances one consumes in whatever amounts does not impugn one's right to exist unmolested wherever one has a right to be - if a large disparity of physical force exists and you happen to be a few beers in, you have as much right to shoot them to the ground as you did when sober - provided, of course, that you didn't escalate.

However, that gives rise to another question. There are a lot of threads about establishing a command presence here - saying "STOP!" with hand up, etc. A drunken thug will take that as escalation, and his group will say that you escalated when you shoot him as they come after you. What then?

Treyarch Guest
    However, that gives rise to another question. There are a lot of threads about establishing a command presence here - saying "STOP!" with hand up, etc. A drunken thug will take that as escalation, and his group will say that you escalated when you shoot him as they come after you. What then?
    You aren't saying it for the thug or his group.

You are performing for the video camera.