Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Defensive Pistol Skills, Bakersfield CA

It looks like I'm the first to provide my input to this latest training opportunity in the "gun friendly" state of Californina.

Well, it was a great class. Having taken the Introductory Knife Class with Uli, I expected a good class. I was not disappointed. Uli is a flexible and accomodating instructor. I signed up for this class after taking a 4 day class in one of the other "popular" gun training curriculiums in Nevada (which I was a little unimpressed). Via a Google search, I found SI. I was intrigued by their presentation and purchased 2 of their handgun DVDs. Being thorougly impressed with their content, I signed up for both this class and the Close Range Gunfighting class. (Note - I also now have the Dying Less Often series - AWESOME).

While I did learn alot at the Nevada class and due to that experience, I felt I was beyond the "introductory level", but I wanted to "start over" with another perspective. This class covered the same material (and more) in 2 days vs. 4 days at Nevada. I was not disappointed in this SI class. One of my objections to the Nevada class was the formality was "this is the way we (you) do it" or you're wrong approach. Uli's MO (and SI's) was to work with what makes sense for you as an individual and respect for real life applicable situations to help with what you are really trying to accomplish - protect yourself from the BGs!! I like that approach.

Being a Software Engineer by trade, I appreciate the structured approach to things. However, one also has to realize that life's activities are full of unexpected situations and deviations from the norm and must be considered and analyzied in order to fully appreciate an adequate response. This class was an example of that philosphy. For example, I have a CCW (yes in CA) and I carry 2 different handguns One is an XD and the other is an LCR. I wanted to evaluate the "effectiveness" of both handguns. Uli was very accommodating. He allowed me to experiment (the Nevada class would have probably kicked me off their site) and helped me very much in using both weapons. In fact, I now have a much more effective reload routine with the speedloaders for the LCR.

Many thanks to Uli and SI in providing this opportunity. I look forward to the Close Range Gunfighting course in Bakersfield. Also, the fellow students at this class were awesome (it must be the similiar mindset, since the knife class was the same!!).

PS - I think there is hope for the gun hating folks in CA.
    Last edited by kennyP; 03-21-2010 at 11:45 PM.

Uli is great, and we are lucky to have him. You can look forward to getting much out of your upcoming class as well.
    "He who can handle the quickest rate of change survives."

-Col John Boyd

"Only he is lost who gives himself up for lost"

-Hans-Ulrich Rudel

Quote Originally Posted by kennyP View Post

Uli's MO (and SI's) was to work with what makes sense for you as an individual and respect for real life applicable situations to help with what you are really trying to accomplish - protect yourself from the BGs!!

... one also has to realize that life's activities are full of unexpected situations and deviations from the norm and must be considered and analyzied in order to fully appreciate an adequate response.
    Important aspects of the fight regardless of your level of training.

kennyP - thanks for the reminder

Glad you enjoyed the class. Uli definitely has a way of keeping things in perspective - not only a good guy but a great instructor as well. Keep checking the training schedule - more good stuff coming to you guys on the west coast.
    "The will to win compares little with the will to prepare to win" - Lombardi

"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good" - Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

"I answer to a higher authority than the approval of men not worthy of my time" - Gabe Suarez

Train with Rick Klopp
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Bio

CRG-4: Force on Force Gunfighting - April 8-9, 2017 - Albermarle, NC

Additional classes including AK Rifle Gunfighting, Force on Force and Advanced Trauma Medicine coming soon.

Uli Gebhard Guest

Thumbs up Excellent Group of Students!!!!!

Thank you all for your kind words. The class was a pleasure to teach and that goes to the full credit of the students in this class. All of you worked very hard to make each new skill in the curriculum your own. Im honored to work with such a dedicated group!

KennyP: Im glad you brought the LCR to the class. Even though none of the other students are currently using a revolver, it was an excellent opportunity to show that a weapon with a limited capacity of five rounds is still a very capable fighting tool if used properly. And you definitely advanced to running this little gun very smooth and efficient.

Here is a brief overview of the weekend from my perspective. It was a small class with only five students, which allowed for me to work quite a bit with each of the them on their individual questions. Our group was very diverse in age as well in skill level.

KennyP, you were definitely the most advanced student in the group, with the other end of the spectrum being students who never had any formal pistol training.

One thing I want to point out is that one of these students used the DVDs to prepare for the class. His basics were excellent all I needed to do was help him fine-tuning these skills.

We began the course with the building blocks of basic marksmanship, stance, grip, sight picture and alignment, controlling our breathing and finally working the trigger adequately to place our round precisely where we want them to go.
    One student shot nice tight groups, which were all low and left. It turned out that the aftermarket sights on his gun were off. Since the grouping was consistent we did not compensate for it The sights will be adjusted in due course, eliminating this problem for him.

Once we had the basics down, we began the shots from the contact ready position and progressed to multiple shots before we incorporated the holster work.

A thorough work on proactive and reactive manipulations concluded the first day.

Day two began with an extensive review in lecture and practice of the material from day one. We then worked in depth on after action assessments, multiple opponents and with failures to stop.

After the last live-fire drills we looked at targets that showed a thorough path of destruction leading from center mass up to the cranial cavity. All students had run their guns with an amazing speed and efficiency.

Again, my respect goes to this group of students for the hard work that they put in during these two days of training.

I'm already looking forward to seeing you again in CRG in May.

The group picture will get posted as soon as I get the chance to download it tonight.

Thanks again everyone for a great teaching experience!

I had a great time, I couldn't have asked for better training. This was my second class with Uli and will not be the last. I came to the pistol class looking to get more comfortable with a pistol in a fighting enviroment. I feel more confident with my pistol skills and I am ready to go further. I could not have asked for a better group of warriors to be around, everyone was like minded, and shared a great sence of humor. Uli thankyou and thanks to everyone who participated.

PS. Kennyp I hope you arn't mad at my for the Navada training center remark?

Uli teaches excellent classes. He really cares about getting the maximum about of training to the students within the allotted time. Both Richard and I enjoy showing up at his classes if time and distance permits.

The central CA area is very lucky to have Uli teaching there now.

If you have the opportunity to train with Uli, DO IT!!
    CORINNA COPLIN

Uli Gebhard Guest
    Chad,

Thank you for your feedback.

Corinna, thank you very much for your kind words.

Here's the picture that we took of our group.

I let the broad smiles do the talking... ;)

To the students: please e-mail me if you would like a full-res version.

The right wing extremist guy looks pretty serious... ;)

Uli Gebhard Guest
    Yep, that smile looks like he just accomplished something devious :D.

had an absolute great time time training with uli. i came in to this class with no experience with firearms whatsoever, only watched some of gabes videos and knew i wanted to train with suarez international. uli was great, he was patient and took time to go down the line and help each student improve on each drill. i couldnt have asked for anything more. in my opinion the class was worth the tuition twice over. if any fellow warriors out there are thinking about training with suarez international stop thinking and sign up, youll be glad you did.

price of tuition...350
    cost of ammo...80
    peace of mind knowing you stand
    a much greater chance defending your loved ones...priceless

much thanks to uli and all fellow students for providing a safe, comfortable training environment. i look forward to training with uli again for close range gun fighting. take care, and god bless