Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Long Slide Glocks

Got to looking at the long slides (G34 et. al.) last night and they kinda tickled my fancy. Thinking mostly in terms of home defense or a field piece, certainly not an everyday walk-about rig.

So, they've got a longer sight radius - which becomes a non-issue if you top it with a red dot. They accept the same mags as any other full-sized Glock. Do they shoot *that* much softer than their G22/G17 counterparts? Any other advantages to the long slides that I'm missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodnut View Post
    . Do they shoot *that* much softer than their G22/G17 counterparts? Any other advantages to the long slides that I'm missing?
    You don't seem to be missing anything. I don't have a 17/22, so I can't say if my 34 shoots that much softer. I can say it does shoot very easy though. I do carry mine ccw, though I probably carry my 19 more. Not sure which one I am going to put the RMR on. Mine is definitely a keeper.

Mike

-----
    Last edited by DTakas; 01-03-2019 at 01:44 PM.

I had a G17L for a while that was used mostly for a "bag gun". IMO, it recoiled much softer than any of the shorter Glock models. Your mileage may vary, as recoil sensitivity seems to be subjective to each individual.

I actually carried it AIWB a few times, just to see if it would work in a 'need-to' situation and it wasn't really a problem. I traded it a little before Christmas for another G19, as it will see more use/carry than the longslide model will.

Quote Originally Posted by DTakas View Post
    I just finished setting up a .40 S&W G35 this week. I was planning to do a pistol set up like this for several months now, even before I started reading about the whole red dot on a pistol thing that has become quite the popular topic lately. (Funny how great minds think alike. lol) It took a while to come up with the funds then I had to wait for gunsmithing services and the barrel had to be special ordered.

Anyway, I finally got the last of the parts and got it to the range for the first time yesterday. I fired a about three hundred rounds through it. I sighted the dot in then did some close range draw and fire drills then some multiple target drills. Itís noticeably heavier than my other Glocks with the longer slide, longer barrel, and light on it, but it points and indexes exactly like the others so itís quite natural. After getting a feel for it I backed up and did a slow fire 10 shot group freehand standing at the 50 foot line. It was perfectly centered on the target with an extreme spread of 2 15/16Ē center to center. Thatís actually my best 50í 10 shot group with a full power gun (I can do better with a few of my .22 pistols) but I was very impressed with the accuracy for my first and only try.

Itís long enough the light doesnít get fogged over with soot from the muzzle and the mag capacity with the extensions is double the capacity of my G27 carry gun.

All in all Iím very impressed and pleased. Itís quite the formidable handgun.

Very nicely done! Less the light, exactly what I plan to do to a 34. If I may ask, who manufactured your barrel?

-----
    Last edited by DTakas; 01-01-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DTakas View Post
    It's a stainless Lone Wolf barrel with their black oxide treatment.
    Thanks! Beautifully done.

DT - Dude, that's fuel on the fire!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodnut View Post
    Do they shoot *that* much softer than their G22/G17 counterparts? Any other advantages to the long slides that I'm missing?
    A G34 was my last duty weapon and of all the Glock 9's (I own one of each, except a G18 of course) it seems to be the best balanced.

That said to me the G17L really shoots much softer than the rest.

I agree with Mark, that while I like the G17 a lot, the G34 is superbly balanced, and "softer" to shoot. I was concerned at first about carrying the xtra inch or so in length, but it hardly makes a difference.
    Luck Is For Rabbits...!