Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wanting a New Duty Light.

I currently carry a Surefire 8NX rechargeable light on my duty belt and was happy with it until the batteries stopped holding a charge. Surefire was nice enough to replace one of them, but even that one didnt last long. After some research on some flashlight related forums, I learned that the B90 batteries used in the 8AX/NX lights all seem to have issues with maintaining a sufficient charge.

Does anyone have suggestions on a new duty belt light with similar brightness? I'm still leaning towards something rechargeable, but I know the CR123 batteries used in most other quality lights can be found cheaply on the 'net. BTW, I"m not looking to spend over $200 for the very cool, but expensive "Night-ops Gladius" like I saw on the Blackhawk site. Maybe the new INOVA Tseries? At this point I'm open to all affordable suggestions. Thanks.

I just started carrying the Strion on my duty belt, to replace my Scorpion. The Strion is rechargeable, and puts out 12,000 candlepower. So far I love the Strion....and I also carry a rechargeable UltraStinger and rechargeable Maglight in my war bag...

TroopSarge
    "I have two guns---one for each of 'ya..."

Jim Linch Guest
    I like the G2 because it fits with my manual of arms. I want something small on the belt and a baton (we use the SL-20X) for my primary.

You can get batteries for $1.50-$2.00 on the net and unless you are using it as a primary, they will last for a long time.

Curious, what makes you want a "mid" size light anyway?

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I just found the Strion in a catalog last night, looks promising. I am issued a SL-20X too, but I"m not always lugging that thing around at work but its in my patrol bag.

As for a mid size light, no reason for that size choice. I think I just stuck with that size after buying a Stinger a few years ago.

Jim Linch Guest
    Gotcha HK,
    I just assumed everyone wanted to lug the "baton/light". :)

FWIW:
    I carry a Sure Fire 6Z (2 battery Combatlight) on my belt. I work Swing Shift (1500-0100) so I use a light a lot.

In the car, we have chargers for the Streamlight Stinger line of lights, and I have an UltraStinger (rechargable) that I keep in said charger. All cars are issued Stingers and most of the folks I work with keep Stingers on their belts, but I found I don;t personally like them all that much. I had a Sure Fire 7Z (3-cell rechargable combatlight that they don't make anymore) for a while, but ran into teh same problems with battery life. I like the fact that my 6Z is not rechargable, and I don;t have to wonder if it's charged or not.

Both lights last about an hour and I've run them both down a few times. I carry one of the Sure Fire "Spares Carriers" in my war bag, Holds 6 batteries and a spare bulb. I also carry a few spare bulbs for the UltraStinger.

For most everything, car stops, any call I have a bit of warning, etc... It's second nature to grab the Ultrastinger as I get out of the car. It's just heavy enough to use as an emergency impact weapon, but small enough to not be in the way when I put it in the ring on my belt.

The Sure Fire is there for emergencies. I should have saved the money and just used my 6P, as I don't use the spiffy Sure Fire flashlight technique, but I got it from another officer for a good price, so... I also used it to good effect in a dark crawlspace when I was on day shift.

I end up changing batteries on it about once a month. I buy them direct from Sure Fire at $15 per 12.

And, for dire emergencies, I have my trusty 3-cell Maglight in my warbag. I'm getting older, and it just weighs too much for me to want to put it on my belt. :o

I got both my dad and father-in-law G2's for presents and they love them. For the price, they're hard to beat.
    GDW
    Last edited by gdw042; 03-09-2005 at 01:20 PM.
    "The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle anywhere, anytime and with utter recklessness."
    R.A. Heinlein

I have been using the streamlight NF2 cost me about 40 bucks and I buy batteries here at the battery station, I have been paying about 90 cents per, I am a contractor and do a lot of inspections and bids lately and the more I do, the more I must admit my collection of Maglights are just paperwieghts until some one comes up with a good affordable LED mod for them. I just ordered a LED M6 pelican for 54 bucks and will wait to see how good that one looks before I back it, but they are talking 4 hours of light or maybe more. with a bulb that rates way over 50000 hours use,

Thumbs up Streamlight TL-2

I carry a Streamlight TL-2 daily and love it. Very lightweight and robust, fits next to my wallet in my back pocket, Gall's has it for 44.00, and it is 100 lumens.
    **Mike Ronin on FaceBook**

**Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

I agree with Michael and I second the TL2.
    My primary car flashlight is a SL20 however I have still have a battery powered maglight in my trunk for times of extended flashlight use.

Just got my new free replacement battery from Surefire. It's charged up and I will be doing some voltage testing to compare my original battery, and this one when I get to work on monday. I "commandeered" a Strion from our rookie on our last night shift. It was darn bright. And yes I did give it back eventually. I think I"m narrowing my choices and going back to Streamlight if this new battery goes to sh*t like the others.