Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    I would like to request that everyone who posted a response also indicate if what bands and what modes they are capable of operating. Also, if we are looking for SHTF communications, do we have the ability to get on the air from a BOB. (Only three pairs of us seem to be close enough to render mutual aid (within the pair))

From the info in the posts, it appears that of the 22 calls (not including the partial call), assuming no HF capabilities if not so indicated, only two of us could communicate with each other on VHF, and another six of us can communicate on HF.
    WA2WMR on QRZ.com
    ARRL Field Day 2012
    Hope is when you buy a lottery ticket.

I finally just about 3 months ago did a walk in and got my Technician license. (KD8MAB) I have not even been on the air yet and have a long way to go getting educated in this field. Only equipment is a Yaesu VX5 I picked up in a trade several years ago. I am midway between Dayton and Cincinnati Ohio.
    -----------------------------------
    Help provide free training to school staff
    http://www.FASTERSavesLives.org
    Help keep Ohio's Legislature Pro-Gun
    http://www.BuckeyeFirearms.org

Quote Originally Posted by grnzbra View Post
    Did your .pdf reader display tabs on the left side, one of which was called "Layers"? This makes a big difference in how I need to make maps.
    Yes, it does have the "layers" tab and I am able to open it. I can click on the different ones and change the appearance/info displayed on the map.

This is good stuff!

Additionally, we are usually bouncing between Costa Mesa, CA and Cottonwood, AZ. Is it possible to add the same ticket to two different locations or is that brought up by the FCC licensee's mailing address?
    RICHARD COPLIN

Quote Originally Posted by JLE View Post
    I finally just about 3 months ago did a walk in and got my Technician license. (KD8MAB) I have not even been on the air yet and have a long way to go getting educated in this field.
    Three months? Not on the air yet? Welcome to the tin foil hat brigade (ground plane, you know). I am assuming the VX5 works. Charge it up. Find some local repeaters. Enter the frequencies. Listen for an active repeater. Then say "KD8MAB listning". Wet feet are the best teacher.

By the way, can you connect an external antenna to the VX5?
    WA2WMR on QRZ.com
    ARRL Field Day 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coplin View Post
    Yes, it does have the "layers" tab and I am able to open it. I can click on the different ones and change the appearance/info displayed on the map.

This is good stuff!

Additionally, we are usually bouncing between Costa Mesa, CA and Cottonwood, AZ. Is it possible to add the same ticket to two different locations or is that brought up by the FCC licensee's mailing address?
    Glad to hear that. I'll see what I can do to slice & dice the info we have so that it shows up on the .pdf reader. Then you can get to work on the settings of the GPS guided munitions.

Yes, I can. Got the Lat/Lon from qrz.com (I also use a website that can find Lat/Lon for a particular address). If you PM me with Lat/Lon or the address of the alternate location, I can add that.
    WA2WMR on QRZ.com
    ARRL Field Day 2012

Reposting to give more info as requested. John here. KE7IOF. I am an extra class. Have mostly Yaesu gear. I have an 857 in my vehicle and antennaes for up to 80m. I have a VX3 and an FT60 HT. I also have a D-Star I haven't even broke out of the box yet. I also bought an FT8800 which is mostly 2m 440 I think with the idea of trying cross band repeating with my vehicles 857 and an HT. Also have FT 817 to use in home or on the run. I have antennae in my attic, but haven't got the radios up yet. However, I am still very new to all this, so I have more equipment than I know how to use. With my work hours, the local club didn't mesh with me being able to join in some of their learning opportunities. I have been mostly on what is called the Western Reflector. I wasn't aware of the Winsystem, but I might try to get on that. I was a member of ARES/RACES, and passed the various courses they required for emergency communications. I have assisted in some large race events so know how to act on a net. I also have a battery for in home that can go mobile and a smaller battery for on the move. A WT net sounds very interesting. Getting some of my gear up and tested would be great, too. In case it wasn't in the first post, I am in Las Vegas, NV
    Last edited by catvet_1; 12-10-2009 at 08:59 AM.
    From Havoc, by Jack Du Brul, in a scene during an attack by an elite, evil force: "Do you have any weapons?" "G--d--n right I do. I'm an American, ain't I?"

John,

I will definitely keep you in the loop.

Here is the WinSystem Las Vegas repeater.

447.400 (-) 100. Covers Las Vegas, NV
    RICHARD COPLIN

Cottonwood, AZ
    Latitude: N 34 44 20
    Longitude: W 112 0 32

We are not CW fluent.

At present we are not on HF unless at a friend's house in Cottonwood, AZ but will be probably by spring of next year on the AZ side and hopefully a bit sooner on the Costa Mesa, CA side.

Our capabilities at present are 2m & 70cm mobile/base in Costa Mesa, CA as well as HTs covering 2m, 70cm and 1.25m with mag-mounts on both vehicles.
    RICHARD COPLIN

Quote Originally Posted by redneckranger View Post
    Do wanna-bees count? I've been reading and studying for the test for about a year now. I'll get back to you.

BTW, I do have an FCC license, General Radiotelephony, from back in the day. I use to work of 100kw commercial FM and 50kw directional AM transmitters. Some of the transmitters had power supply cabinets that were so big one could climb up into them. For maintenance, had to go inside and monkey around with stuff, but before doing so had to make sure the caps were not charged. Used a "Jesus stick" to insure the caps were safe. And let me tell you, when one of those bleeder resistors opened and you tapped a hot cap, well... it would bring you closer to Him.
    I can't speak for Teckomando, but if this net/roundtable gets going, I would certainly look forward to having another ham join in. With your background, what are you waiting for? With your background, the novice test should be like slipping on a bannana peel on a sheet of black ice and the tech test should be about the same. Don't know what the general test is like these days but it shouldn't be too hard. Just do it! :D
    WA2WMR on QRZ.com
    ARRL Field Day 2012

For those that do not know the FCC changed the licensing of Amateur Radio over a year ago. They no longer require you to know Morse code; they only have three classes of licenses Technician, General and Extra Class. The test banks are out on the net to study for the test as well which give excellent feed back as to how well you know the material.

George - KJ4GZI - 2m HT hope to upgrade to General later next year and acquire HF radio too.
    The whole point of being governed by a Constitution and not by men or directly by the people themselves was to stop incredible stupidity from annihilating our Freedoms. Tyranny of the majority is just as dangerous as any dictator. Especially when the majority is incredibly ******* stupid.

Intro to Defensive Pistol
    Close Range Gunfighting