Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    We too occasionally use the Catalina WinSystem repeater.
    CORINNA COPLIN

Guys, I am not trying to be rude. Really. I just don't understand replying to a thread asking specifically for call signs, license class, location and equipment (VHF/UHF/HF/bands) without giving a full call sign.

The info is available online both privately at QRZ and through the FCC if one has the correct name to look it up.

We are attempting to put WT hams in touch with other WT hams. The only way to do this is to come out of the shadows and let fellow WT hams know who you are and where you spend your air time.

By the way, the WinSystem has added a repeater in Williams, AZ which gets wide coverage down into the Verde Valley where we are presently. 449.750 (-) 100 are the settings. We have used this link to talk from Costa Mesa to Cottonwood using HTs, with a mag mount on the CM end and an HT with a rubber duck on the Cottonwood end.

If anyone doesn't feel comfortable giving their federally registered call sign on an open forum, then just ignore this attempt to get WT hams together.

Some WTers get together in person on a local basis. Some WTers contact each other to meet FTF while traveling. We as hams, have the capacity to meet over the air and during times when travel might be restricted. It would be a good support group to establish.
    RICHARD COPLIN

Shannon Hogan is offline Suarez International Affiliate - Salt Lake City
    Richard, I'm just starting to study "Now You're Talking" manual from Radio Shack. When I pass the exam I'll post my full call sign, class, et al. I've used Army radios for many years. So not totally uneducated on the subject:D.

One important point with HAM radio is if we have a total commo blackout with internet, cell phones, and land lines we can still stay in touch with radio. The Katrina disaster comes to mind.

Looking forward to commo with everyone in the near future!
    Shannon
    fulminis instar "Like thunderbolts, fast as lightning."
    Hogan Clan motto.

Shannon,

Good to hear that you are moving in that direction. Even with Katrina-like scenarios, ham radio operators are capable of simplex communications. Propagation will vary but it is an alternative.

I have some suggestions on getting your Tech license. Let me know if I can help.
    RICHARD COPLIN

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coplin View Post
    Guys, I am not trying to be rude. Really. I just don't understand replying to a thread asking specifically for call signs, license class, location and equipment (VHF/UHF/HF/bands) without giving a full call sign.

The info is available online both privately at QRZ and through the FCC if one has the correct name to look it up.

We are attempting to put WT hams in touch with other WT hams. The only way to do this is to come out of the shadows and let fellow WT hams know who you are and where you spend your air time.

By the way, the WinSystem has added a repeater in Williams, AZ which gets wide coverage down into the Verde Valley where we are presently. 449.750 (-) 100 are the settings. We have used this link to talk from Costa Mesa to Cottonwood using HTs, with a mag mount on the CM end and an HT with a rubber duck on the Cottonwood end.

If anyone doesn't feel comfortable giving their federally registered call sign on an open forum, then just ignore this attempt to get WT hams together.

Some WTers get together in person on a local basis. Some WTers contact each other to meet FTF while traveling. We as hams, have the capacity to meet over the air and during times when travel might be restricted. It would be a good support group to establish.
    Well, I can understand the concern. Yes, the info is public. However, the public info doesn't in any way reflect the person's association with Warriortalk. If one uses a screen name and a partial call, it could not be easily narrowed down to one person

If, however, someone does post their call, it would be useful to know which bands they can work or if they are fluent in CW. That info neither qrz nor the FCC has. (Talking here about available equipment, not frequency privileges)

Well, I'm wrong. Narrowed it down to one of six calls. However, the concern is still valid.
    Last edited by grnzbra; 12-09-2009 at 11:13 AM. Reason: EAT CROW
    WA2WMR on QRZ.com
    ARRL Field Day 2012
    Hope is when you buy a lottery ticket.

Shannon Hogan is offline Suarez International Affiliate - Salt Lake City
    Richard, I'm open to suggestions! Thanks!! I'm looking at Novice as I like the idea of doing Morse code. Then maybe add Technician later. I'll be studying when and where I can next few weeks. There is a sylibus with CD's called "Introduction to Morse Code" I need to get. I want to get this done hopefully in the next 2 months.
    Shannon
    fulminis instar "Like thunderbolts, fast as lightning."
    Hogan Clan motto.

Quote Originally Posted by grnzbra View Post
    Well, I can understand the concern. Yes, the info is public. However, the public info doesn't in any way reflect the person's association with Warriortalk. If one uses a screen name and a partial call, it could not be easily narrowed down to one person

If, however, someone does post their call, it would be useful to know which bands they can work or if they are fluent in CW. That info neither qrz nor the FCC has. (Talking here about available equipment, not frequency privileges)

Well, I'm wrong. Narrowed it down to one of six calls. However, the concern is still valid.
    What I am saying is, why reply at all? Seriously, if "they" want to find you, "they" can and will. Wouldn't it be easier to just remain silent and anonymous?
    RICHARD COPLIN

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon Hogan View Post
    Richard, I'm open to suggestions! Thanks!! I'm looking at Novice as I like the idea of doing Morse code. Then maybe add Technician later. I'll be studying when and where I can next few weeks. There is a sylibus with CD's called "Introduction to Morse Code" I need to get. I want to get this done hopefully in the next 2 months.
    Shannon
    Shannon,
    Call me to discuss.
    PM sent.
    Richard
    RICHARD COPLIN

grnzbra,

You didn't eat any crow. You just followed up on something and shared good info. I think we can build a good network across CONUS of ham/WT licensee/members. But without the right info, it goes nowhere.

I was able to open the files you sent. Good stuff and it should be a basis for us to begin building a network. Thanks!
    RICHARD COPLIN

Did your .pdf reader display tabs on the left side, one of which was called "Layers"? This makes a big difference in how I need to make maps.
    WA2WMR on QRZ.com
    ARRL Field Day 2012
    Hope is when you buy a lottery ticket.