Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Kahr PM9 as primary.

Hi everybody. As much as I like to carry my Glock 27 or 26, some days it gets a little too heavy ( getting old you know :D ). What do you guys think about carrying My Kahr PM9 with Gold Dot 124+P's as primary with 2 spare mags and my S&W 340 PD scandium in my pocket as a BUG with 135 Gold Dot +P's ? how many of you carry the Kahr PM9 as primary ( I do in the summer in my pocket ) or a S&W snubby?

Sounds reasonable to me. I don't have a Kahr, but I do have a snub and I use the Gold Dot 135gr. you mentioned. Great round, I think.
    If the Kahr is a gun that you are very comfortable with, and more importantly, can shoot with accurately, then I don't see a problem. I just read a review of the gun in one of the magazines, which of course, was positive. I like that you carry two additional mags; I'm going to two myself for my .45 Cougar.
    I prefer to carry the .45 over the snub, because I'm much better with it. I recognize that I need to practice shooting the snub more.

Love mine. 265 rounds so far without a hitch for break-in. WWB, some ten year old (!) Cor-Bon 115+P, some Gold Dot 124+P. Have some 127+P+ and 147 Rangers inbound and will decide between those and the Speers shortly.

I can see my G23 relegated to nightstand duty pretty soon- I think the PM9 will be my "always", with the 23 strictly for cool weather. Texas gets HOT. :o
    "A man who asks is a fool for five minutes- a man who does not ask is a fool forever."

Is this the gun the NYPD recently approved for off duty use?

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoPd
    Is this the gun the NYPD recently approved for off duty use?
    IIRC, that's the K9. Full size (for a Kahr), steel frame.
    "A man who asks is a fool for five minutes- a man who does not ask is a fool forever."

The PM9 is the smallest Kahr you can buy with a polymer frame, it weighs only 15 ounces. I have had many Kahrs and I always carry my Kahr in my pocket during the summer as a primary gun. Yes I shoot the Kahr as good as any of my other guns and I have thousands of rounds through my Kahr including WW127+P+ and GD 124+P my current carry round and it has never failed me and never had a jam with it. The question was not if I can shoot my Kahr really well or if it functions with out any Problems, The answer to both questions is yes. The question is for the sake of comfort would you carry a Kahr or a snubby S&W as a primary when you could carry something bigger? specially in my case in the winter when I can carry my Glock 23or 27 which I do 24/7 but I am thinking about maybe carrying the Kahr and /or the S&W 340 PD scandium at 11 ounces full time as a primary in the winter also.

Had a opportunity to put about 100 rounds through a PM9 recently.

It seems to point "low" and I think its because the grip is so short it ends in the hollow under my thumb instead of all the way down against the meat of my palm.

Shooting one handed, there's a tendancy to pull to the outside. Pobably because my finger is so far in the trigger; all the way to the joint -- which my finger is too short to do in any other gun !

But it also shoots high, by about 3-4 inches at ~10 yards, when using the sights. Now, that white dot on the FS really makes it hard to line up the top edge of the FS with the rear sight; at least when looking at a bright target. So I thought it was because I was lining up the top of the dot...

But I benched it while seated in a chair and I swear, in order to make it shoot POA, I had to hold the FS about halfway down in the notch.

Has anyone else had this sort of results?

Well, Ike, I don't know that I'm qualified to answer on the grounds that I live in Tacoma, and you really can't call it hot here, but I'll try.

First, I like the P9, had one for a while. I didn't like the way the spare mag in my pocket would unload itself. Does yours do that?

For me comfort is not the primary consideration. It's being armed, and a small low capacity pistol isn't armed to me. I would certainly take it over the Smith or a mouse gun, but a Glock 19 is as small as I want as a primary.

When you need a gun, all the comfort of small sure seems like a poor trade ( the voice of experience).

Just my two cents.

Cat

A friend of mine has had the P9 and the PM9. I have to tell you that the P9 felt much better in my hand than the PM9 due to longer grip. Either would fit in a jacket pocket as I have tested but my choice would go to the better feeling weapon in my hand, just a tad more weight and not to forget, an extra round. I've been looking for that one small auto that would fit the jacket pocket sans holster when I just don't want to carry the Sig 229, XD40 or 1991 Commander.

Well Catshooter I always carry my spare mags in an Uncle Mike soft holster and I carry two spare mags, if you carry the mags loose in the pocket yes they will unload by themselfs but not in the soft pocket holster from UM.
    If you work in a suit in an office environment and you have to take your jacket off it is going to be awfull dificult to conceal a G19.
    I could probably carry a G26 in my pocket but not as easly as the Kahr.I have owned the P9 and I like it very much but for deep concealment the PM9 is king, I have owned my PM9 since it came out and it is one of the best guns I have ever owned and no with a total of 21 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124 +P on me I do not feel under gunned. Any time that I can keep a jacket or a vest on I carry my Glock 23 or 27. After carrying 24/7/365 for the last 36 years you learn to dress and/or accomodate your gun carrying habit.