Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thou shalt not kill...?

I believe there's a deference between killing and murdering.. You know on the battle field its Kill or be killed. But it does say thou shalt not kill not "Thou shalt not kill,unless they are your enemies in battle"

help me out. What do you guys think?
    "I am the punishment of GOD...
    If you had not committed great sins...
    GOD would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."

"The LION, which is mightiest amongst beasts... retreateth not before any. "

More boys carrying AKMs have been killed by boys carrying M16s than the other way around

It's a translation issue. In the time of King James 'killing' meant murder, as opposed to justified killing. The translation that became the King James Bible has been handed down since without adjusting for the change in usage of the word 'kill'.

George is right. The actual translation was "murder", not "kill". The original Greek and Hebrew texts use murder, not kill.
    **Mike Ronin on FaceBook**

**Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

Its all about translations. I've heard a more direct translation is "Thou shall not kill in anger".

Default Murder of course (from a pastor)

Exodus 20:13 in the NIV (probably the most used translation now):

"You shall not murder."

It reads exactly the same in the New American Standard Version, considered to be one of the more accurate translations.

Exodus 22:2 indicates that if you kill a thief breaking into your home at night you will not be considered guilty of murder (blood-guiltiness).

Killing in self-defense, or killing to defend the lives of innocents, is considered OK by the Bible. :)

In Hebrew it is murder and not kill. One of the nice things about using the original language and text you don't have to worry what someone may have changed.

In fact we are commanded that if we know someone is coming to kill us we are duty bound to ambush them and to kill them.

Yoni

Quote Originally Posted by yoni
    In Hebrew it is murder and not kill. One of the nice things about using the original language and text you don't have to worry what someone may have changed.

In fact we are commanded that if we know someone is coming to kill us we are duty bound to ambush them and to kill them.

Yoni
    Exactly. Having access to the original text is all important when it comes down to the meaning of one specific word. All versions of the Bible in English are translations, and none of them are 100% correct to the original. For the most part, many of the translations are accurate enough that the general idea of what is said is not changed, but occaisonally, like in this instance, it makes all the differece. I have almost every version there is, King James, New King James, New American Standard, Contemporary English, NIV, and my favorite, New Living. None are perfectly translated because sometimes, there is no way to translate exactly what is written and some of the meaning may be lost in the translation.

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

Default What God said!

Hi Brothers::D
    What God said:
    1Sa 15:3 Now go and strike Amalek, and completely destroy all that they have, and do not spare them. But kill both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.
    1Sa 15:8 And he took Agag the king of the Amalekites alive. And he completely destroyed all the people with the edge of the sword.
    1Sa 15:9 But Saul and the people spared Agag and the best of the sheep and of the oxen and of the fatlings and the lambs, and all that was good, and would not completely destroy them. But everything that was vile and feeble they completely destroyed.
    1Sa 15:11 It repents Me that I have set up Saul to be king. For he has turned back from following Me and has not done My commands. And it grieved Samuel, and he cried out to Jehovah all night.
    1Sa 15:23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idol-worship. Because you have rejected the Word of Jehovah, He has also rejected you from being king!
    1Sa 15:33 And Samuel said, As your sword has made women childless, so shall your mother be childless among women. And Samuel cut Agag in pieces before Jehovah in Gilgal.
    1st murder
    Gen 4:8 And Cain talked with his brother Abel. And it happened when they were in the field, Cain rose up against his brother Abel and killed him.
    Gen 4:9 And Jehovah said unto Cain, Where is your brother Abel? And he said, I do not know. Am I my brother's keeper?
    Gen 4:10 And He said, What have you done? The voice of your brother's blood cries to Me from the ground.
    Gen 4:11 And now you are cursed more than the ground which opened its mouth to receive your brother's blood from your hand.

God was grieved that Saul didnít kill and that Cain did!
    Hope it helps :D
    Let the high praises of God be in our mouth, And a two-edged sword in our hand.
    Psalm 149
    Stay Safe; Be Dangerous!
    Dale

Excellent Dale. Thanks!:)

When it comes to the Ten commandments it is the original version that matters and counts not any translations or interpretations.
    It clearly says LO TIRTSAH which means thou shall not MURDER, if it wanted to say Thou shall not Kill then it would have said LO TAHAROG, if it would have said in general terms thou shall not kill it would have prevented any body from killing any body or any thing even for self defense.
    In different times to stop barbarism, murder and genocide the churches translated it as thou shall not kill to instill the fear of G_D in the population and the fear of punishment.
    We all know how much that helped, almost nothing, people still continued to kill each other with joyful abandon and they still do.