Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Nice setups Sua, and very applicable.

Would the cheese cloth help with any glare issues from the window later on in the afternoon?
    "Everyone, everyone, in this life knows when the moment is before them. To turn away is simple. To ignore it assures survival. But it is an insult to life, because there can be no redemption, no second chance. Beyond death there's nothing. Just darkness. And cold."

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    Nice setups Sua, and very applicable.

Would the cheese cloth help with any glare issues from the window later on in the afternoon?
    Yes it does help very much to reduce glare off of the scope...

Cheers
    T
    Attached Images Attached Images

I mentioned that I would cover equipment what I used setting up each of the hides also. But I got pretty tired last night and didn't really want this thread to become one just about gear (that happens here sometimes;)) so I didn't post what I carried to set up the Belly hide.

Well here it is; My plan was to move from a Vehicle Drop Off (VDO) point located about 1500 meters away on a road with very light traffic. Through the woods to the area where I planned to set-up the hide. To avoid attracting attention I opted for the "Photographer or Nature Lover" look. It is one of the only times that you can wear a safari vest and not look like you are trying to cover a gun, so long as you have a good camera around your neck and try to look like one of the "sheeple"

I was able to carry all of the items that I felt that I would need to set-up a belly hide and make a shot inside of the vest with ease.
    I carried my rifle inside of a camp chair bag the I modified by sewing some thin padding material to the inside to prevent the rifle printing, and re-enforced the seams and strap to make it more rugged.

• Safari vest
    • Notebook
    • marker
    • compass
    • 100mph tape
    • multi-tool
    • insect repellent
    • mini binoculars
    • laser range-finder
    • water bottle
    • power bar
    • 15 rounds "match" ammo (10 175gr, 5 AP,)
    • Basic gunshot wound kit
    • 5 x 7 ft "SpyderMesh"
    • Glock entrenching tool
    • cotton sniper veil
    • Glock 17
    • 2 x 32 rd magazines
    • Camera
    I dressed in "earth" tone clothing and wore a Tan Boonie type hat that I was able to add local foliage to for my final stalk into the hide location, and in lew of a ghillie suit I just stuck some veggies into the spyder mesh and tied it over my shoulders for the final stalk in.

Cheers
    T
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SUA SPONTE; 10-12-2009 at 05:50 PM.

This thread is very way cool... it actually makes me uncomfortable to read this... in a good sort of way.

Thanks again SUA for taking the time to offer us free instruction.

As a combo of your crawlspace and belly hides...

I recall reading of the hides the Chechen 'rebels' dug under the concrete slabs of partially destroyed buildings. They would slightly jack up the section of concrete they were under using a bottle jack, put a close range shot into an unawares Russian, then instantly lower the slab back into place and disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by fallen View Post
    This is some awesome, thought provoking stuff. Thanks alot for putting the time into it, appreciate it.
    +1 That is fantastic work.

So many possibilities.... I like the tool box as it fits right in with the new construction. A brief case and "realtor" set up could also work. Sound could be hidden with a basic suppressor or disguised by the construction equipment.

Comfort is least important??? No way. Turn on the TV, Lay on the couch and shoot during the commercials........:D

Everyone,
    You are all very welcome, I hope that you found it thought provoking at a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
    This thread is very way cool... it actually makes me uncomfortable to read this... in a good sort of way.

Thanks again SUA for taking the time to offer us free instruction.

As a combo of your crawlspace and belly hides...

I recall reading of the hides the Chechen 'rebels' dug under the concrete slabs of partially destroyed buildings. They would slightly jack up the section of concrete they were under using a bottle jack, put a close range shot into an unawares Russian, then instantly lower the slab back into place and disappear.
    Yea I read that also..... They were certainly inventive for filthy Savages.... I don't think I would want a few ton slab of concrete sitting over the top of me held up by a mere bottle jack...

Cheers
    T

Default Thank You

Sua, thanks SO MUCH for this thread. Man, I love this board...

Sua, what is the rifle that you are using?

Quote Originally Posted by stankasz View Post
    Sua, what is the rifle that you are using?
    The rifle that is in this post is a VZ24/47 Mauser re-barreled to a 16" 308. It is short, light, handy, and loads quickly with 5 round stripper clips.
    Basically it is just a project gun not my go to GSR, but my savage is having some work done;)

Cheers
    T
    Last edited by SUA SPONTE; 10-14-2009 at 05:22 AM.